“The only positive thing is the outdoor pool.”

Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
“The only positive thing is the outdoor pool.”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My family and I stayed there for two nights. It is a motel not a hotel first of all. The room was very dated, the fridge is a wine cooler not a real fridge and carpet is dirty and disgusting. There is no wifi in the rooms. The breakfast does not have any meat or egg. The staff are warm and welcoming but I will never try it again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mahmoin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Oakville.On.
Reviewed 18 August 2013

we stayed from Monday through Friday. Rooms were fine, had everything we needed.Breakfasts were very good, All Staff very helpful and pleasant, all seemed to enjoy their jobs.Dinners were a disaster, a bowl of milk, tasting of uncooked cornstarch with slices of mushroom floating was served as soup.Yet staff could not have been better, coach tours were great driver and guide very pleasant and helpful. All in all we enjoyed our visit .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alice W
Lier, Belgium
Reviewed 18 August 2013

good location, on walking distance from the center and the river. Nice pools, in and outside. SPA may be written in little letters since it was not that good. Service was poor however at breakfast this was ok. Room was quite large, we had 3 beds and at the end of the resort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Luc C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I lead a group of over 30 East Toronto Seniors to the Colonial Resort and Spa- Once again the meals were great with a variety of choices available.
Special events were planned from our suggestions. The indoor and outdoor pools were vey refreshing. Hairdressing and a variety of other services including massages were available.
We've already booked dates for next year with at least 90 percent of the seniors wanting to go back. We were so pleased with the staff and services.

Room Tip: Book early with East Toronto Seniors.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AL A
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I don't want to discourage people who want to stay somewhere with the kids where there's a pool and the parents can even watch the kids at the pool while lounging outside their room with a drink in hand. It's a big step up from camping. It isn't however, a resort the way I think of resorts. It is also a seasonal property which I somehow missed when looking through the hotel details.

We booked a Premium King room and with the extreme heat the small window type air conditioner was struggling to cool the room. Yes there were mosquitos but it is in the country. We paid $516 for a two night package including breakfast, $20 per person vouchers for some restaurants in town for both nights (we used them one night), and a 1000 Island cruise that left from Kingston. That seemed quite pricey for the quality of the room but again - it's the height of the season and they need to take advantage of the amount of time they're open. The cruise was very good and included the best boat meal (lunch) I've ever had in Ontario.

Staff were friendly, towels were scratchy and the king bed did not have proper king bedding - no fitted sheet and the sheets they had barely tucked in. I know kids don't care about that stuff so it is suitable that way for a family vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KatieToronto

Travellers are raving about these Gananoque hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights and felt for one thing that it lacked in any helpfulness about the area.
The room was small but adequate, clean and the bathroom was very good, no complaints about it at all.
The breakfast was adequate and the dining room staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
There were 2 bus loads of Senior people and it was obvious that this was the motel's priority and we felt that "casuals" such as ourselves were to fit in with breakfast as best as we could.
BE SURE TO READ THE INFORMATION MANUAL VERY CAREFULLY, not all the facilities are for all guests to use - I assumed that we would be able to use the bbq that was in a pagoda with table and chairs around, so I bought some meat for our dinner and when I asked if there were time restrictions for the bbq I was told that the bbq was for the staff to use when there were functions - we could not use it! I was told that there were bbq areas in the local parks!! This I found very strange, went to our room, read the Information Manual and sure enough, there it was in black and white - we could not use it. Quite astounding.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank markilee
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I was very disappointed with my overall experience. The rooms were very dated and filled with mosquitoes, the shower was constantly going from hot to cold- overall not worth the 100 they were asking pernight.
The worst part of my experience was when we left an expensive unopened bottle of alcohol in the room. We realized we left it in the room a few hours after check out (which is 10.00am) we called the hotel and was told they would look into it. I called back later that evening as I didn't receive a follow up and there was no log of me calling in. The lady said she would check the room and follow up with the house keeping the next day. The next day I received no phone call and then called back a day later - to which I still had no reply.
I realize it was our fault for forgetting the bottle- but to have no one follow up and for the housekeepers not to log forgotten items is ridiculous.
I would not recommend this spot at all - especially for the price, $100 is ridiculous amount for such a dated resort and bad customer service.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family