“Wow!”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Wow!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The things you will find in rural Ontario!!!! Wow! Renovated and decorated to the nines!!!! What a spot - 2 sprawling courtyards, one with water fountain and a cool chic interior this is the action place east of Kingston! Seed to Sausage brand bacon in pasta, great pizzas, and excellent braised rib etc etc etc, great service and great desserts - ask the wait person what to order - they will deliver! PS yes they charge for baked bread - yes get it!!! Great wine and drink list and also close to inns and boat terminal.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank jwca

Quebec City, Canada
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Went to Gananoque to do a boat tour. Then, we found Riva Italian restaurant. Excellent service! The wife and I both had a pizza. It was great ( the manza and the pollo). You will not regret stopping by.

San Juan, Texas
“Elegant Surprise”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

For days people at the Thousand Islands had been talking about Riva. I finally got there for lunch two days ago. Wow! We sat outside on beautiful day. It was a great day, service was understated and efficient by a wonderful server with a good sense of humor. The tomato bisque with crunchy prosciutto was a good way to start lunch, followed by more prosciutto in a panini. After lunch we went inside and the place oozed elegance, from the bar to the dining room. I reallly, really want to go back to dinner one evening. My friends were definitely right.

Kingston, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could be outstanding...”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Had my second meal at Riva today. Took family there after a great first time there with friends on a slow day in June. The revival of this great old building is outstanding in ambiance, horticulture, and it's Rustic/Restoration Hardware decor. But today was not a good experience. It took almost 15 minutes for our waitperson to get to us after we were seated, only two menus for three people. Then a salad came after 25 minutes. Then nothing. Others who came after got their meals. Food came and was presented by a different person but it belonged to another table and the waitperson sort of wandered off with it. We finally asked about our order and one hour and 10 minutes after we were seated we got our food. Mine was delicious, but interestingly, there was zero presentation compared to the meals we were first given that were taken away. My panini sat lonely on its plate, with not so much as a pickle to support it. After all that time one would think someone could have peeled a radish or something to make it different from a burger joint. But it was really tasty.
My impression was that there is a big disconnect between the waitstaff and the kitchen. The waitstaff seem pleasant but underprepared and disorganized, as if they were working without direction This is what finally drove us from The Ivy: everyone and no-one looking after our table. Both could be such a wonderful places otherwise.
By the way, if you are seated on the lunch patio, they have a major trip hazards going on. They move the umbrellas but not the granite bases and we saw one staff member go down while we ...waited. Given that 90% of customers were seniors, this practice is just an bad accident waiting to happen. A second trip hazard, which almost got my husband, were the wires running from a mobile stainless work surface which was sitting empty at the side of the patio. The waitperson apologized after he tripped on it, but did nothing to move it or corral the wires.
Will I return? Maybe. I will read more reviews to see if the Riva is getting its act together, but there are too many other good places who have better service for me to make this my go-to place when I want to treat friends visiting the area. Or maybe we will bring reading to help pass the time.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Ann G
Québec
“Good food, but very slow service”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went there for lunch on a Sunday, after 1:00 PM. There were empty tables at the patio, so we sat at a table for six. Shortly after, a waitress told us that we should have checked with the hostess because that table could have been reserved. Oops! Anyway, the table was free and we were handed menus. Then the wait started. One glass and a picher of water appeared, followed by three more glasses some 10 minutes later, and then another two . At last we all had water. Then, our drink order was taken, and after a good 20 minutes, we got our drinks. We were able to order our food afterward, which came after a while. One couple shared a classic pizza, I ordered a large Ceasar Salad with shrimps and the three other guests each ordered a pizza (two classic and one vegetarian).

The food was good, but I don't think that I would return there because of the slow, indifferent service.

• Visited August 2014