“Worst Stay Possible...Horrible Suite... People that don't care because they have your money.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trinity House Inn

Trinity House Inn
Ranked #9 of 12 Gananoque B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Pictures on their webside are very deceiving for the Lockup Suite.

The building is literally falling apart (see photo). It is cracking and splitting down the middle of the 1 bedroom suite, the floor actually slopes inwards. It was the dirtiest accommodation I've ever had the misfortune of staying in. The toilet didn't flush properly, the sink in the bathroom doesn't turn off correctly, it just keeps running unless you play with the faucet, the bathtub hadn't been cleaned from the previous guest. I found that out when I went to bathe my two year old and had to wash the tub out to get the ring of dirt and clean off the slimy mat before I would let her in to use it.

The kitchen had ants (you can see the traps in the photo...not sure why he looked so surprised when I told him they had an ant problem...I didn't put the traps there.) The room is a fire hazard (see photo of kitchen and amount of plugs plugged into each receptacle.) The light by the tv actually sizzled when I turned it on. There was a huge spider web above the bed (see photo) and at the corner of the room. Clearly no one bothers to dust/clean. The sheets looked clean but the comforters smelled mouldy, and the furniture (clearly from someones garage sale) were old, stained/discoloured and smelled funny.

The gardens were pretty and I wanted to take my daughter in to play in there, but had to bring her right back out as their large Marmaduke-type dog had defecated all over the garden path and no one had bothered to clean it up. I think they actually serve meals out there too!

In short, what should have been a lovely two-day stay, ended up being one miserable night in horrible accommodations. They would not refund any portion of our first night but as we were packed up and leaving, they did not charge us for the 2nd day we decided not to stay. How generous!

It was supposed to be one of Ontario's Finest Inns so I was shocked when I saw the run down accommodation, the lack of cleanliness, the poor service (one person was apologetic for the condition of the suite, the other could have cared less as he already had our $200 for the night.)

For any family wanting to stay here, please spend your money else where. They do not deserve their Finest Inns rating and should be ashamed of the accommodations they supply for which they charge a premium!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank mommytraveller21
jj9090, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention.You arrived at the inn at noon with your husband and young baby requesting early check-in. I put a priority on your request and assigned 2 of my cleaning staff to make up the suite asap.Meanwhile I did the paperwork for your checkin,showed you through the inn and gardens and gave you the keys to your suite.You indicated that you prefered to go for a walk rather than sit in the air conditioned guest areas.I had to leave the inn to shop for food supplies.Normally I inspect rooms before guests check in.Unfortunately I did not have an opportunity to do so before you arrived back and settled into your suite.
Apparently you complained to my manager in the morning about "ants and a spider web" and indicated that you were checking out a day early.You also objected to having to pay for the stay the previous night .Rightly,he advised you that you had ample opportunity to voice your displeasure,that you had used the facilities and would be accordingly charged.
I demand high standards of cleanliness for my property.The carpet in that suite is steam cleaned on a weekly basis because of its light colour.If needed, it is spot cleaned between steam cleanings.The buildings are sprayed monthly for spiders and insects as most properties here have spiders due to our proximity to the river.There is a 4foot crack in the bedroom wall from a recent tremor.We sit on the Frontenac axis which has a fault line that is mildly active.This is hard on the older plaster walls of the heritage buildings.I plan to have this covered with a floor to ceiling mirror.
The Lock-up was built in 1866.This limestone building served as the town jail and has a historical plaque mounted on its outside wall.Yes the floor slopes slightly and the original tin ceiling is intact.Many feel this contributes to the historical ambiance .It has been safety approved by the local Building and Fire Inspectors.
I had my plumber check the bathroom fixtures.The toilet and sink faucets were fine but he put a new seal on the tub faucet.Ant traps are placed throughout both buildings as a precaution.My 2 dogs use the garden and back yard.They are cleaned twice daily.The gardens are meticulously maintained and have been featured on numerous garden tours as well as in Canadian Living Magazine.The furniture in the lock-up was purchased at DeBoeurs,Simmons Hotel Division,Sears Appliances and the 1948 oak dining room set was a wedding present to my parents.Nothing was purchased at a "garage sale"!
The reviews of the Lock-Up on October 19,2010 and September 24,2010 should be considered before forming an opinion of the Lock-Up.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

When we arrived at the Inn and saw the beautiful Prince Regent Suite we were blown away by the beautiful accommodations and if that's all I was reviewing I wouldn't have a bad thing to say. However we did have dinner and then breakfast at the inn and were disappointed by the quality and quantity of the food provided. The evening meal was very pricey and as we only had the main course not much food for what we paid. The "hot and cold buffet breakfast" was some cinnamon coffee cake, eggs, eggo waffles, toast and cereal. So my recommendation is to stay there for the room but dine elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MelissaW55
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

My husband and I recently visited Gananoque and were lucky to come across the Trinity House Inn. They accommodated us for dinner right away. Everything about our dining experience was perfect from the food to the atmosphere to the exceptional service. I would highly recommend asking for Kim (our very experienced and knowledgeable server)....she will take excellent care of you.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Chelsea, Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

Trinity House Inn was comfortable and friendly. We were welcomed and made to feel at home.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Catzlady
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Beautifully and loving restored Victorian House in Gananoque Ontario. Jacques O'Shea is a friendly and accommodating host who made me feel welcome and comfortable in this house located in the heart of downtown Ganaoque. Sitting, in a wicker rocker, and relaxing on the front verandah right across the street from an beautiful old church was a wonderful to spend some quiet time. In the back, the gardens and waterfall provide a quiet escape. The house is luxuriously appointed in old Victorian style while providing some of the amenities of modern life. What a lovely way to spend some time away from home!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
jj9090, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review.I am pleased to hear that we made you feel at "home"
Jacques O'Shea
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

We went for an overnight stay in the Thousand Islands. We have never stayed in Gananoque but had a pleasant walk by the Marina. We had dinner at the inn and were well served and fed. We enoyed our meal and tried some local Ontario Picton beer!
We walked through the town and had a great sleep at the Inn.
Breakfast was average -pancakes,breads and frittata were fine but waffles were not fresh. The Owner wqs very friendly and informative and he has helpful and friendly staff. Checked out the local recereational facilities for kayaking and then continued to the Thousand Island art show and museums.

Room Tip: Constance Rm a little small but had shower etc