“Outstanding restaurant, almost perfect”
Review of The Athlone Inn - CLOSED

The Athlone Inn
Price range: US$1 - US$152
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Canada
“Outstanding restaurant, almost perfect”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Living 15 minutes away from this restaurant, I'm not sure why it took us so long to eventually try it. But we were glad we did.

We were warmly received by the hostess/co-owner, Miranda. The space and ambiance were inviting and smart. The staff were all enthusiastic and helpful. The menu is ambitious and appealing. Service was prompt, particularly considering that they were quite busy that night.

I had their escargot ragout as a starter and it was wonderful. There were snails, pearl onions, lardons and mushrooms in a delicious meat reduction. My partner had a tomato chèvre salad which was perfectly dressed and made you forget they were February tomatoes.

For my main course I ordered the pickerel. The fish was perfectly grilled with a slight smokey taste. It came with a rösti potato, celeriac salad and creamed spinach. I found the celeriac to be over salted, and I like salt, but ate it all. The creamed spinach was under-seasoned and was more like a spinach bechamel. But the overall impression was of a beautifully presented plate with generally delicious, imaginative food.

My partner had their filet mignon. Although ordered medium rare, it arrived medium. It is still a tasty, tender cut. It came with slightly heavy onion rings and mashed potatoes. Everything could have been a bit hotter. They were very busy.

For dessert we shared a piece of their ginger cheesecake. It was beautifully presented. We had difficulty detecting the ginger, but it was very delicious. It's a mousse cheesecake not baked.

All in all, it was a lovely experience which we look forward to repeating. They definitely have a skilled kitchen.

Visited February 2014

Gananoque, Canada
“Just the Best”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Went for a Valentine's day dinner with my Wife and another couple. Miranda and Jason and there staff are just the best, right from the point when we made our reservation (Miranda remembered we prefer a time later in the evening). They always have very attentive staff, and the food is never a disappointment. Jason does have a flair when it comes to presentation. Already looking forward to the next visit.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Goo_foodnwine
Kingston, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Charming town inn”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Elegant selections at good prices. A personal touch is found everywhere and the service was intimate and kind even when busy. The look of the place and plating was a nice surprise that made for a nice experience. I tried a few new things, soup was a slight "miss" from perfect but still good but desert was astoundingly plated! I'd suggest to stick to things you know you like for the first visit. The other clientele seemed genial and happy to be there.

Stittsville
“wonderful meal”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I went to the Athlone to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I chose this restaurant because it was rated No. 1 on Trip Advisor. We both enjoyed our meal. My husband had salmon and I had the pork tenderloin medallions. Both delicious. We would go again.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank MichelleStittsville
Portland, Oregon
“Great food, a bit loud and warm”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We went on a Saturday night. The place was full of loud groups and it got hot in there. Perhaps going on different night would be better. The lamb was wonderful. One of our party said the tenderloin was one of the best he had every had. My trout was excellent as were the squash and potatoes that came with it. The kale that came with the dish was a bit too sour for me and but was an interesting accompaniment. The wine list could benefit from some Washington State big red's.
Service was good despite the large parties at other tables and the crowd.
I'd definitely go again, but on a quieter night. .

• Visited October 2013