“One of my favourite spots.....go whenever I can for a special occasion.”
Review of The Athlone Inn - CLOSED

The Athlone Inn
Price range: US$1 - US$152
Cuisines: French
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went to celebrate my birthday. It has a lovely elegant decor and great food. The chef came out of the kitchen to talk with us and the service couldn't have been better.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our celebration meal at 'The Athone Inn' was indeed a celebration. The food from start to finish was amazing. I asked for an appetizer that was on a previous menu and was easily accommodated. The lamb dish I chose was served to perfection - absolutely divine! Lastly, I had a chocolate ganache dessert with home made ice cream that was truly a 'piece of art' when it arrived and tasted just as great.

1  Thank Carolan S
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were quite impressed with the food and service of the restaurant. We had the tomato salad as an appetizer, I have Filet Mignon-cooked perfectly (MR), my husband ordered the duck, a new item on the menu. He is a duck enthusiast, and ordered it because of the mac/cheese/lobster side dish. He thought the duck was good, a little dry.
We did not have dessert as we were looking forward to creme brule, however both offered were coffee flavoured..not our cup of tea.
We enjoyed a bottle of wine and had a nice leisurely meal. Perfectly served the entire evening.
I would recommend highly. Spoke to a regular while there ( our first time) and she says she comes whenever she can and it is always wonderful.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

The first thing you notice is the warmth of the dining room. The decorations and ambiance are lovely. The wait staff are very professional and charming. The menu is imaginative without being overwhelming. The wine/drink menu is compact yet complete. Good martinis are served. In addition to full entrees, they offer three smaller main courses.

For starters our table had the scallops, the daily soup and the tomato compote salad. Beautiful presentation and excellently prepared.

For mains we had the shepherds pie (small plate) and two of us ordered the lamb. Again, beautifully presented and expertly prepared. The pie was somewhat over salted but nonetheless very good. The lamb was exceptional. Two very generous chops served with lovely gnocchi and reductions.

We only ordered one dessert and it had recently been added to the menu. The name escapes me but it was lemon based. The presentation was exceptional.

Watch the salt but otherwise enjoy the best dining experience between Ottawa and Toronto.

3  Thank John G
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Living 15 minutes away from this restaurant, I'm not sure why it took us so long to eventually try it. But we were glad we did.

We were warmly received by the hostess/co-owner, Miranda. The space and ambiance were inviting and smart. The staff were all enthusiastic and helpful. The menu is ambitious and appealing. Service was prompt, particularly considering that they were quite busy that night.

I had their escargot ragout as a starter and it was wonderful. There were snails, pearl onions, lardons and mushrooms in a delicious meat reduction. My partner had a tomato chèvre salad which was perfectly dressed and made you forget they were February tomatoes.

For my main course I ordered the pickerel. The fish was perfectly grilled with a slight smokey taste. It came with a rösti potato, celeriac salad and creamed spinach. I found the celeriac to be over salted, and I like salt, but ate it all. The creamed spinach was under-seasoned and was more like a spinach bechamel. But the overall impression was of a beautifully presented plate with generally delicious, imaginative food.

My partner had their filet mignon. Although ordered medium rare, it arrived medium. It is still a tasty, tender cut. It came with slightly heavy onion rings and mashed potatoes. Everything could have been a bit hotter. They were very busy.

For dessert we shared a piece of their ginger cheesecake. It was beautifully presented. We had difficulty detecting the ginger, but it was very delicious. It's a mousse cheesecake not baked.

All in all, it was a lovely experience which we look forward to repeating. They definitely have a skilled kitchen.