“Should be closed down...”
Review of Le Rouge Homard - CLOSED

Le Rouge Homard
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My husband and I liked the spot (on the beach and with a view on Rocher Percé), and we thought it looked less 'touristy' than the other places around. What a mistake! This was by far our most expensive small-dry-not appetizing-50$ lobster ever. The lobster was not fresh, there was almost no meat, it came with a sad soppy salad and white rice. Really not what we expected.
When I asked for the check, I was only given the total amount, and they included service in the total. When I asked why they did that, the lady said that they had to so that the employees not be penalized. Yeah right! I then told her that this may be the method in France, but not here. We have been travelling through Gaspesie for one week already and we did see a note on other restaurant checks that give tip advice, but adding tip in total, never seen that before.
The owners need to review their business practices.
Very frustrating experience.

2  Thank Guizzi123
There are newer reviews for Le Rouge Homard

Reviewed 3 August 2013

So where to begin. Decent decor, no wait, right on the beach. Unlike previous reviews, the old guy outside was nice to us. But the wind drove us in, and so we met the woman other reviews probably talk about. Owners wife? Why else is she working here - she obviously hates it. When she took our order, my wife changed her mind a couple times as to what she wanted. Keep in mind the woman never left our table while my wife decided, and her indecisiveness probably added 45 seconds as to how much longer the woman waited at out table. But what we had done was obviously now unforgivable. Thereafter her hostility radiated from her - but nothing overt. I picked up on it but, living my holiday, I was not on my guard. Going to pay the bill, I was told to go to the bar. The woman then told me I owed $200 with tip. No itemized bill. When I asked to see one, I was told this wasn't how it was done in Quebec. Having lived in Monteal for a year, we knew this wasn't true. I also suggested to her that I would decide the tip. Keep in mind, we are a family of 4 with 2 small children so its not like a big group where the service is often automatically added on. Then the woman refused to speak to me in English. My wife is fluent French but this didn't help. She then accused us of being from Toronto (we aren't). I calculated the bill myself and gave her $180- she would only take cash and would give no change. Wow. Love Quebec, love the Gaspe, HATE this woman. How does this place
make money? Oh yes, tax fraud. Travel many places (I'm 41), worst restaurant experience ever.

1  Thank SpringGarden780
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I called in because it looked like a nice place to have a coffee on the terrace. My son asked to use the bathroom and she was very reluctant. I ordered a grand cafe latte - arrived cold and half full. My husband had a cappuccino which was not much better. Oh well we thought, just a bad coffee, too bad but no big deal... Until I went in to pay.... $16!!! Even coffee on the champs élysées is not this crazy price. When I politely suggested that it was the wrong bill, she got very cross and said "no Madame, I showed you the menu and we have high prices because we don't want just anyone in our restaurant". Looking around we were the only customers so I guess her approach is working well. Beware, stay away from this terrible place. Maison du pecheur just near by is fabulous, reasonably priced - go there instead!

1  Thank Strawberrygirl1974
Reviewed 6 September 2012

No service / food price is so high / its lobster Town and the price is Like heaven/ these owner should not operate à tourist spot Like this/ so beautiful / dishes uncleaned/ poor service (women is Like à terror). And thé old Guy should. Be. Slap before death / even thé parking employee suggest people to avoid this restaurant/ be careful even if your Wallet CAN afford anthing its the worst expérience Ever with my familly./ tourist trap / hope new owners soon / tourist industry is stuck with bandit Like that...
This is pure fraud !!!!! AVOID this spot any time dont waste your vacation by going There /////

1  Thank Luc613
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We went a couple times there during our stay in Percé, there is an old man at the door that looks like the boss and is rude. The location is beautiful, but don't expect polite or good service from the staff. I recommend the brandade de morue, it was excellent. Their lobster plate was also good because of their garlic butter (tasted like heaven).

1  Thank Silvermotion