“Alumni Resorter still enjoying Fern Resort”
Review of Fern Resort

Fern Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Toronto, Ontario
“Alumni Resorter still enjoying Fern Resort”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We have spent the last 8 Civic long weekends at Fern Resort. Some years are better than others. This year was terrific! The food was much better and Fern gave us bonus bucks. On Friday family night, the kids loved playing Deal or No Deal Fern Version and even won some Fern Bucks. The kid camps are always popular and welcomed as my husband and I have some down time lounging on the beach under the beautiful willow trees. The resort was full but never feels crowded. It is a comfortable somewhat casual environment but "People" please don't wear your pjs to breakfast and dress in comfortable casual instead of tank tops for the dinner hour lol! There are linen napkins for breakfast and dinner meals or a casual poolside bbq at lunch. The day camp can include trampoline bungee jumping, pony rides, fishing, bingo, etc. There are 3 fantastic trampolines, mini golf, giant checkers/chess, tennis, horseshoes, bikes, zip lines, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boats, motor water activities (extra fee), hammocks and high ropes (just to name a few activities). The camps are divided by age from toddlers (great area) to teens. We only stay 2 nights as the mattresses are not great. Staff is always friendly and helpful! You have to try the Peanutbutter Pie and order their famous buns to take home!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank shutterbugtraveller
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad to hear you and your family continue to enjoy the resort and we appreciate your long standing tenure as Fern Resort Alumni members. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This was our third summer at this resort. I am writing this because I was extremely upset with the treatment I received from one of the owners wife. I was sitting out by the pool and I got up together something from my room. When, I returned, she was laying on the lounge chair I had been using. I just said nicely that I think my towel was there and she was very, very rude. She tossed the towel and said it was just strewn across the arm rest. She then asked if it was being used and I said yes and the the one beside it. She abruptly got up and moved another one over to the spot. I am completely shocked she would treat a customer in this manner. I will not be returning!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Schumanator
I am sorry you felt you were treated poorly at Fern Resort. I am certain there was mis-communication pool side and by no means was the intention to be rude. The owners of Fern Resort are not weekend owners. The resort is their livelihood, and they are committed to the comfort and enjoyment of all the guests. Their vision, hard work and commitment to the resort is the cornerstone of the value system in place here at the resort.
I am glad you were able to spend three summers with us and hope you continue to choose resorting in Ontario as your vacation of choice.
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed at this hotel for work it was actually very nice and clean. The staff were very nice and did their best to accommodate oir request. My room was facing the lake and the dock. It was very soothing and relaxing. The one thing I did not enjoy at this resort was the restaurant. Stick with the basics if you are planning on eating there. I would go back to this hotel with my family.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank irene2211
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We visited twice...we have four children....two years ago we visited and the camp "lost" our then 7 year old son and left him behind in a rec hall. The explanation? "well, he was part of the older group and in that group, we don't take attendance. He should have listened for his group to be called"...thank goodness he had the presence of mind to stay put as that particular room is located near to the water. The manager / owner was extremely frustrating to speak with, accepted no culpability and offered me no apology although if it was one of my younger children, they could have easily wandered off to the lake and drowned. The only reason we went back last year was as a "favor" to close friends who asked us to accompany them. The food and accommodations were very (very, very!) basic....this year, I decided to call Fern amongst several other facilities. They essentially told me that for a big family, they are charging more per person, as we need two rooms. I tried explaining that the charge is not for accommodation only but for camp, food, etc and that the children are charged based on their age. My brother (who has two children) would have paid nearly $1000 less than me for the same room and same facilities. I asked her "so, if I book one reservation for me and two children and my husband books separately for him and two children, and we are in rooms down the hall from each other, we pay less???" I was told "well, you would be dishonest, but essentially yes" Ultimately, the manager slammed down the phone on me. The rudeness, cafeteria-style food, stained carpets, etc are really nothing compared to the camp losing my child in any event. I should never have come back at that point. lesson learned.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank MishyB
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. We don’t in fact, charge more for larger families; we just simply charge per person and the rate is also higher for larger accommodations. Our per person rate includes all your meals, activity programs, nightly entertainment, and use of the resort facilities.
I believe we have good kids’ programs. Children under the age of six are signed in and out of a playvillage area and have special fun evenings out: “Movie Night, Buzz Bee’s Birthday” etc … For children 7-9, we have a Junior program that has 1-2 directors that supply daily activity programs consisting of a wide range of social and sporting activities. As well, we have a Youth program for 10-12 and Teen from 13-17. These children are supervised, but most parents allow them to come and go from the program as they wish. Make no mistake; these are not camps that the kids must go to for the entire day. They are simply activity programs provided as an option.
I am sorry you won’t be joining us this summer for your third stay and I apologize for the phone mishap. We had experienced a flood Sunday evening that had damaged our phone lines, which resulted in some dropped calls early in the week.
I wish you and your family a good summer and I hope you enjoy whatever vacation experience you choose to participate in this year.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

took my 2 sons age 7 and 11, last minute booking on Thursday for Friday and Saturday night.
Amazing front desk help with Sarah. took me through all price ranges and held a room until i could make a decision.. single supplement not added which was amazing.. had great room. very clean, 2 dbles and a pull out , tv, fireplace, fridge coffee maker.. everything u would need.. the fern has everything u can think of, paddle boats. mini putt, 2 playgrounds, trampolines, paint ball, bikes, nothing cost extra except water skiing, which is inexpensive (28$ a run) we tried it all, my only complaint... is that not knowing we had to have running shoes to use the rock wall, paint ball etc.. being summer i didn't pack any for the kids.. running shoes a must to enjoy many of the activities. Food amazing.. u will never go hungry.. though in years past pop and juice were included in price, now u have to pay and that can add up with 2 kids esp in the heat.. Would like to see a later dinner seating.. lunch is done at 1-130, dinner is at 6.. my kids weren't hungry till later, but the staff are amazing and i ordered to go and used microwave provided.. but still would like a later dining option.. staff are amazing.. smiling, happy and proud to work there.. they speak highly of their employers.. nice to see... just a side not.. after speaking with wait staff.. they do not get the 15% that is added to you bill, so u do need to tip your wait staff.. would recommend this place to all, u can sit or u can play.. the choice is yours, this is my 5th time and it only gets better each year..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lulife7890
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My sister, her family, my parents and my husband all enjoyed our week vacation at Fern. The nightly entertainment has always been a nice way to end the day. This year's entertainment was not as good as previous years. Namely, nightlife on Saturday was tiresome. I think half a dozen people lasted beyond the second song. The acrobat family, comic duo, and magician were good.
The food this year was better than last years. Fern seems to be challenged with getting the steak right. This is the first year that everyone's steak was right on. All other meals were excellent throughout the week. I would ask the chef though to cut down on the salt, especially for the soups.
The activities were great as usual, the adults and the kids kept as busy as they wanted to be. The staff were all friendly and engaging. All of the people taht I met through the week were sad to be leaving at the end of the week. I have already booked my Fern vacation for next year. Next year I will try the new paintball feature.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally nice.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank skippy013
FernResort, Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, 3 July 2011
Thank you for all your comments and glad to hear you are already booked in for next 2012 ! Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We were at Fern for this past New Years, and we had a great time even though the weather didn't cooperate,(snow melted), but Fern changes the activities based on the weather so we had many things to do. There was myself, my 13 year old daughter and my 2 nephews, ages 6 & 7. Luckily they were able to skate on the lake before the meltdown started, and my daughter really enjoyed playing hockey on the hockey rink. Anyways we had a great time and decided to book some time up there during March Break. It was the same thing... meaning the weather, no skating this time, everything was melting, but we had fun playing hockey on the court running through puddles, everyone had fun. I love the staff lip syncing show, Mike you're a pro. We went on the History Hike, Family Hike and roasted marshmallows, a survival hike, participated in Family Bed Races. We enjoyed the trivia games that Mike organizes in the club house, we ended up having friendly competition with this other family. We also like the different Animal Shows (zoo tek, speaking of wildlife and J&K reptiles). We had no complaints about the food, only thing was they took away the children's buffett for the last 3 days, I guess it was because there was not enough kids.I like the idea that we always have the same table the whole time we were there. We stayed at the Fireside Inn this time, room was OK, the kids complained about the TV when we were back in the room in the evening (bad reception). We had stayed at Hearthside at New Years, and will try to stay in that Building again as we plan to return for the May long weekend. The kids enjoyed the Sports Staff, Crazy D, Jenn and Trevor.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank karissasmom
FernResort, Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words. I truly enjoy reading about how our guests spend their days and about how much fun they have as a family. I look forward to seeing you and your family again on May Long Weekend. I don't think we will be able to skate that weekend either but I know the pools will be open and 82 degrees ! lol.
Take care.
Scott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orillia
Stone Gate Inn
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 14 in Orillia
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf

Been to Fern Resort? Share your experiences!