“Family Resort”
Review of Fern Resort

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We went as a large-ish group staying in three cottages for an in-law's birthday celebration. Our cottage had two double beds and a pull out couch. Opening the door I immediately noticed the great view of the lake out the patio doors, which was even better than I expected. The room decor is somewhere between dated, and homey/cottage depending on your taste but was clean and fairly comfortable. It was less busy overall than I expected (I don't think they were full). The only time I really noticed the crowd was during meal times since the scheduled meal times meant that every one is there all at once.

I managed to find some quiet time to myself in the morning with a stroll through the mini-golf, trampolines, and a round of actual golf on the 5 hole course (Free!), and shooting some baskets. In the afternoon we enjoyed the batting cages, some archery, and another tour around the five hole course with family in tow this time. The golf course is rough around the edges (longish grass on the fairways, aerator marks on some greens are an added challenge) but quite fun for the casual player.

Bottom line: We had a good weekend as a family. You can probably tell from Fern website whether or not the resort is the place for you.

Pros:
- They arranged for a cake from a local bakery which was great. (The desserts on the menu were good enough that you might actually be better off just sticking a candle on one of them! :) )
- Some of the cottages have a small deck on the back of each cottage facing the water is great. I wish I had spent more time out there in hindsight!
- Muskoka and Steamwhistle beer on tap! (albeit pricier than "domestic") Great to see local breweries being supported. I probably drank 50% more than I would have if they hadn't had such a good selection!
- Overall the food was good, with a good variety to choose from. Some small misses like my side of bacon being way too crispy (meanwhile the bacon at the buffet was perfect) and the home fries and burgers were just okay, but the soups were great, and my dinner entrees were excellent (particularly my mustard sauced pork tenderloin). Multiple courses with good sized portions, you won't go hungry.
- Servers in the dining room are mostly teenagers and perhaps not always perfectly polished but I thought the service was great and very friendly. (And we were probably a difficult table with two children and some indecisive adults!)
- Entertainment options were enjoyable. It was the Fantasy Circus and a comedy magician for the two nights we were there. Similar to the family cruise we did, the entertainment options were not necessarily my cup of tea and probably not things I would normally choose but I still enjoyed them and they were crowd pleasers for all ages.
- All inclusive. Pretty much everything was included other than motorized boats which was nice. A fridge in our cottage meant that we could have some snacks and beverages on hand if we wanted, but we didn't really take advantage of that.
- The weather wasn't particularly hot but the pool area was less busy and more relaxed then I thought it might be.

Cons:
- I found it to be a tad pricey but it was comparable to other resorts we looked into.
- The late riser in our group our group found the meal times restrictive. I thought it was fine personally but something to keep in mind if you don't like being on a schedule.
- The mattress on the pull out couch was not amazing if you are larger person. I suspect it might be better if you are smaller than me.
- My double bed came with a lot of pointy elbows and knees, which lead to me try sleeping on the couch the second night. (We are used to a king size bed at home) You should probably be fine if you aren't traveling with my wife!
- Screaming children. This will obviously vary with how busy it is, and who happens to be there with you. It's a family resort though (What do you expect?) - and we brought two of the little monsters with our group so I suppose I can't complain too much :)
- Some areas are showing their wear (e.g. basketball courts, mini-putt) but probably not enough to spoil the fun for anyone but perfectionists.

1  Thank kjkToronto
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for posting your comments and thank you for joining us at Fern this summer as large family group. The views of Lake Couchiching are incredible from the Edgewater Cottages and I can't think of a better westerly view from any resort in Ontario. I am glad you enjoyed all the complimentary resort facilities and that your family's dining experience was enjoyable, as was your overall weekend experience. Fern Resort is a great spot to host multi-generation families whether it’s for a reunion or celebrating a milestone. Because we offer a variety of different accommodation sizes and types, activity programs and kids clubs, for all ages as well as nightly entertainment and many resort activities, Fern Resort truly offers a vacation experience that has something for everyone at every age level. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We were just at the Fern for the first the weekend of July, 2014. Lots of activities for all age groups and interests. Good food. Great entertainment. I loved Fantasy Circus. Full of history. You wouldn't know this place is over 100 years old so well maintained. Next time I would stay in a cabin. My favourite part was meeting the owner Mark and hearing of the family history. We had so much in common. He has great vision and is very hands on.

• Stayed: July 2014
FernResort, Owner at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you for your kind comments. Meeting and connecting with the guests of Fern is always a highlight. Although we did not get you waterskiing, it was great sharing our love of Italy. As much as I enjoy talking with repeat guests and sharing stories of years past, I truly love getting the feedback from first-time guests like you that are getting the “Fern” experience for the first time. This shared love for the resort, it’s people, facilities and activities is why we do what we do. It is my family’s legacy and why Fern has been hosting generations of families for 118 years.
Thanks again and take care!
Mark Downing
President/Owner

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We just spent a weekend at the Fern and just loved it. The resort is ideal for family's with all age groups,with so many activities for our 5 year old that we are already talking about our next trip back. With pretty well all activities free once your there you really have no reason to reach back into your wallet. We hacked away at the 5 hole golf there balls,clubs tee's and pull cart supplied, free paintball, small zip line for the kids, fished off the dock, did a scuba intro in the pool,and that was just the beginning . The staff is excellent and the food was also. The resort is perfect for couples also so don't get the impression that it is solely focused on children, what we found is that it had so many supervised activities that it gave us a break when we wanted or needed.
The grounds are mature and the buildings have a lot of character, it's easy to look around and feel the history of the facility.
Some of the buildings and some of the rooms may be a little weathered but clearly not a detour-ant from having a good time.

Room Tip: View the web site and pick one that suits your need but the edge water cottages have a beautiful vie...
2  Thank Nolan080808
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your family's stay so much. Our all-inclusive product is a great benefit for families on vacation. As you mentioned you are not pulling your wallet out at every turn to pay some nominal fee for a resort activity or to use a facility. Whether it's golfing, tennis, bikes, fishing rods and worms, scuba lessons or even paintball, it's free to use here at Fern. With kids’ activity programs lead by our friendly staff, parents have an opportunity to enjoy the resort and adults’ activities on their own.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Fern resort is a great place for a family vacations. There are lots of activities for the young ones and most are done through a supervised program so mom and dad can get in some of their own fun as well such as kayaking or paddle boarding or just relax by the pool. The meals are very good and there is a children's buffet so little ones don't have to wait for meals to be served.
The rooms in the fireside building are very comfortable and quiet. Overall the resort is very nice although some of the buildings are older but well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for posting your comments and thank you for staying with us at Fern Resort. Kids of all ages genuinely love our supervised activity programs. These programs and traditional resort facilities used to be the cornerstone of the Ontario resort-vacation product. At one time the lakes and rivers of Northern Ontario where dotted with traditional resorts offering this type of product. Over time the landscape and the product offering has slowly changed and it has become hard to find this family friendly type of vacation in Ontario. Here at Fern, our all-inclusive packages with supervised activity programs, delicious meals, nightly entertainment and use of the facilities allow our guests to pay one upfront price and then simply enjoy their vacations. Whether you enjoy the climbing wall and extreme area with paintball, or go paddle boarding or canoeing on the waterfront, there is no additional charge. Golfing, tennis, mini putt, zip line, bikes and bike trails … the list of complimentary facilities goes on and on. Did I mention you don't pay for any of the above? Finding a vacation destination that truly has something for everyone at all ages is difficult in today's market. I guess this is why our guests loyally return summer after summer.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Pioneer Craftsmen celebrated our 60th anniversary at the Fern and what a fantastic weekend! All forty of our staff and their families enjoyed great hospitality, great food, atmosphere and picturesque grounds. Many of us thought celebrating 60 years was an accomplishment, but for the Fern to be hosting families and friends since 1895 is truly amazing.
Our rooms were clean and bright and certainly paid tribute to the history of the Resort. The staff was enthusiastic about everything, and customer service was exceptional. The historical buildings and natural environment make Fern a great place to visit, but it was really the cheerful smiling staff who made our weekend so memorable. It was fun for all ages - lots to do for the kids and the adults! A great experience!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Congratulations Pioneer Craftsmen on your 60th anniversary, and thank you for allowing us to be a part of the celebration! Thank you for the wonderful comments and accolades in your review; they are truly humbling. Customer Service is the most important part of what we do and we are fortunate enough to have a management team that has a true desire to have fun and create an atmosphere that is fun and friendly for our guests. Our staff are always willing to go the extra mile in the name of customer service as well. It's something that is in the culture of Fern Resort and permeates into the excellent staff we hire. It takes the entire team to create and maintain an atmosphere that is fun, friendly, comfortable, safe and professional.
Thanks again for your comments and I hope to see the great people from Pioneer Craftsmen again for the next milestone!

Coridally,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We enjoyed the Fern Resort very much! It had everything we needed! The service and hospitality was awesome - small town and personal. The outdoor activities were a plenty and they had something for everyone! Can't wait to plan another work function at The Fern Resort!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us here at Fern Resort. Off-site business meetings and Fern Resort are the perfect mix of business and pleasure! Glad you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to the next work function at Fern Resort. We look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Fern was a great place to have our 3 day business meeting & team building event. The hotel staff was very pleasant and accommodating. The activities we planned were wonderful, Mike took great care of us. I would come back with my family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us for the meeting and conference side of the business! Fern Resort, along with the Conference Centre at Fern, has been providing exceptional value for small and medium sized groups, associations and companies alike that want to come together for a very results-oriented, off-site meeting. Fern provides an atmosphere that is very conducive to bringing a team to the next level and allowing them to know one another's strengths and challenges. Similar to our rate structure for leisure guests, packages for meeting or group stays include all the meals, meeting rooms, meeting snacks, activities and accommodations in order to make the planner’s job that much easier.
Whether you’re here leisure or business, you are closer at Fern.

Fern Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orillia
Stone Gate Inn
Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre
Days Inn - Orillia
The Champlain Waterfront Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection
Best Western Plus Orillia Hotel

Been to Fern Resort? Share your experiences!