“A Tired Older Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
New York City, New York
“A Tired Older Hotel”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We stayed here one night in December 2011 to attend a party in the hotel earlier in the evening. We arrived around 1pm and the front desk accommodated us with a room that was ready which was very nice. The hallways had slightly worn carpet and were a bit dark. Our room was okay; certainly NOT luxurious. A little on the low-end (Motel 6ish) side. The tub/shower was newer and there were lots of towels which was nice. The mattress however, was older, boxy, and hard. We did not sleep well. For one night, it was tolerable, but I would not stay here again. We did enjoy the Sunday Brunch in the restaurant next door which was very good!

Room Tip: The hotel is located on a steep hill so the lobby is actually at the same level as the 2nd floor roo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
HighwaymanOrillia, Operations Manager at Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
I was so glad to hear that you found the Guest Services staff friendly and accommodating. It was great to hear that you found the bathroom facilities of your guest room well appointed and in good order. I was very sorry to hear that you found your bed uncomfortable and that you did not sleep well. I thank you for your honest and frank review and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Don't get too excited about staying at the Highwayman Inn in Orillia. It puts the "B" in basic at best. The price was very reasonable, hotel staff were wonderful, the bed was comfortable but other than that I'd probably spend a little more and stay elsewhere.
Hotel was very noisy.......carpeting in the room needs major upgrading, rooms in general needed some serious updates. Cable TV was not high definition; just basic cable. Flat panel was nice but w/o hi def, it was not worth it. In room coffee, nice apt. size refrigerator, but that's about it for the room. The bathroom, I must admit, was upgraded with a nice new one-piece tub/shower, new flooring and vanity.
BUT, the noise was undesirable. You could hear every door close, hallway conversations, and parking lot traffic. Even tried using the air conditioner/heater to drown out the noise but even that was so loud it made it difficult to get a good nights sleep.
DON'T use the restaurant attached to the Inn unless you only want drinks at the bar. While we waited for our room to be ready we were offered a 10% off coupon so we decided to grab a bite to eat. We ordered a dozen chicken wings and a hamburg........OMG the worst tasting chicken wings I've ever eaten and the "beef" tasted like horse-meat with soy filler, almost like a tasteless meatloaf! We passed on the 1/2 off breakfast buffet the next day so not sure what that would have been like.
In summary, if you only want a inexpensive, basic place to spend the night and you sleep like a log then by all means..............

Room Tip: Ground floor is probably not a good choice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ripkengamers
Thank for your review and for your positive comments regarding the comfortable bed in your room and the upgrades in our bathrooms. Hallway noise and road traffic are difficult to control and am very sorry that you found that the noise level high enough to disturb your nights rest.
Please accept my apologies for your experience at our restaurant. Our restaurant is known for its great tasting food, friendly atmosphere and great value! It would seem that we failed to provide you with the experience we pride ourselves on.

I hope that you will visit Orillia again in the future and if you would consider staying with us again, I would be pleased to handle your reservations personally.

Yours truly,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed here for one night. I think we got what we expected. I think that we did not get excellent value for money but it was good value for money. I was surprised to see some of the negative reviews.

The restaurant/bar is conveniently attached to the Inn. The food at the bar was OK. The staff behind the bar were very pleasant as well. I'll definitely stay here again the next time I pass through Orillia.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your hotel on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you feel you received good value for your money and that you would stay with us again the next time you travel to the area.

Kindest regards,

Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed at this Hotel from July 11th until July 18th. I used to live in Orillia and this was my 1st time back in 17 years. Although so much has changed around the area, the hospitality I remember that my family enjoyed at this hotel when they used to come from NYC and Florida to visit me, that has not changed. The room was very clean, the a/c worked perfectly (this was the beginning of the heatwave), the complimentary breakfasts were good and whether eating at McCabes for lunch or dinner, we had plenty to choose from since there is more than enough to find on the menu. We really enjoyed going into McCabe's on Thursday night to hear the local talent, and the bartenders know how to make great Bloody Caesars! Unfortunately, my poodle cried when we left the room and disturbed some other guests, and for that we apologize. So we ended up taking him to my girlfriend's home when we were out in order to alleviate that problem. The only things I wished for was that we would have had a smoking room, but since we were on the ground floor, we asked for outdoor chairs to sit outside and smoke. Housekeeping brought us the chairs right away, and they also brought extra pillows we asked for just as quickly. We needed a ground floor room to be able to walk our dog easily rather than being on the 2nd floor, since I have back problems and it is difficult for me to walk up steps. The other thing that I would have hoped for is that one particular area in the back of the hotel would be set aside primarily for pet owners. Then if one dog barks or cries, it really won't bother any of the other guests since they have their own pets to deal with. When I used the [indoor] pool, it would have been nice to see some lounge chairs placed outside in the grassy area next to the pool for people like me who still sunbathe. However, I want to also thank Management for allowing us to use the Gazebo on Wednesday evening, July 13th. We got married that evening in a very short civil service with just the two of us and 4 friends. So I appreciate that we were not charged for using the Gazebo. When we make another trip to Orillia, either next summer, 2012 or possibly next winter, we will definitely make reservations at the Highwayman Inn again. And we will bring our dog to my friend's home when we leave the hotel in the evening. Thank you for a great vacation!

Room Tip: If you have a pet, stay in the back. If you want to be near the hotel lobby or McCabes without walki...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us in July and for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your marriage. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Cheers,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Definitely left this Hotel with mixed feelings!
A Wedding brought us to this Hotel
Negative Part
This Hotel requires major renovations.
The only area that is acceptable is the reception.
Considering the price that they charge per night - it's not worth it.
Positive Aspects
The wedding was catered for exquisitely!
The food was excellent considering it was a buffet and they did an excellent job of creating an ambiance with the room props and accent lighting.
"Hats off" to Melissa for managing this lovely evening!

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with both positive and constructive feedback on your stay with us. It is so great to hear that you really enjoyed the wedding we hosted for your friends and that you found the food and ambiance in the ball rooms to be excellent.

We continually try to upgrade our guest rooms and public areas and I apologize for not providing you with accommodations that you felt were adequate. If you return to Orillia for an event in the future I hope that you will give us an opportunity to show you that the positive experience you had in our banquet facility can be matched in our guest rooms.

Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This motel has been used by several family members several times but I will never stay there again. The actual date of my last stay was May 12, 2010 but it was not available on the drop down box. I remember the date very clearly as we were visiting a dying relative. The next morning was the 13th and that was my 42nd weddding anniversary as well as Mother's Day. The motel gives out vouchers for a discount at the restaurant that is on the premises. Because we did not have "reservations" we were refused even a coffee that morning. Lots of empty seats but they were "reserved" for locals I guess. Nice way to treat the guests in the facility. No coffee, no breakfast, bad attitude of the staff both at the restaurant and at the front desk. If the restaurant is not owned by the motel then why are they giving out discount vouchers for breakfast? The motel is kinda cruddy also and in bad need of renovations. Old tired furniture and carpets. There is no designated parking for guests and if there is a wedding or whatever going on you could be SOL for a parking spot. It does not matter if there are elderly or disabled persons trying to access their rooms either. I actually witnessed some local chap put orange cones in a parking spot to save it for himself for his later return to the wedding that was there. Charming place! I will never darken their door or that of the restaurant again. Here it is 14 months later and I am still angry I was treated so badly. I have made it my mission to convince all those other extended family members to avoid this place also and guess what.....it's working.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank downhomer53
Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the negative experience you had at our hotel and restaurant. I am very sorry that we failed to provide you with a positive experience and that you are still angry about your stay. I would love an opportunity to personally discuss your visit with us to see if we may be able to satisfy your concerns at this time. Please feel free to contact me at 1-800-461-0269.

Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre

Travellers are raving about these Orillia hotels

Bloomfield, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Great hotel book in our baseball team. Hotel room was very nice, hotel allowed us to have a team BBQ in the parking lot and was great. The guest service manager was very good to work with, an help to meet all of our needs.
Thanks again the the great weekend

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your review, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!