“Friendly staff and adequate plus accommodations”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Collingwood
“Friendly staff and adequate plus accommodations”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Wow, some of the preceding reviews are Harsh! After reading some of them I felt I had to add my experiences into the mix - I've stayed approx. 6 -8 times at the Highwayman Inn and while it's not the most up-to-date place, have usually found the accommodations more than adequate and most of the staff very friendly. Out of all my stays there has only been one server (in McCabes) and one stay I needed to tell the hotel about, where I didn't feel happy, but that was taken care of by a follow-up phone call and rebate offer. Apart from that one stay the only other thing I'd change is to make it more accessible for the disabled. The rooms are comfortable and the pool and hot-tub are large. The food is of reasonable cost and quality. I WOULD recommend this hotel as a convenient and pleasant place to stay, in fact, I have another stay booked for the end of this month. (June)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank m0m04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Stayed here after a wedding a couple years ago. No real issues of note. Comfortable, clean & fairly quiet.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
HighwaymanOrillia, Manager at Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thank you for taking the time to reivew our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again when you visit Orillia.

barrie
Reviewed 4 February 2010

i took my girlfriend to highwaymann for our anniversary because it was close by and was held in highregards by friends and family... we booked the "junior" suite which in their terms means small room with a fireplace and jacuzzi room... upon checking in we were given the wrong room and were told we could "stay in that room" or have the one we wanted.. we get into the room we were supposed to hae an everything seemed alright.. room was clean lots of pillows cute little bathroom... then while i was setting up our romantic evening my girlfrind went down to their 3 person hot tub and after soaking for a few minutes a group of about 4 teenagers turned on the jets and jumped right in... 5 minutes later the teens exclaim that my girlfriend is nasty and dirty because one of the teens had emptied some type of detergent into the water filling the tub with bubbles and green goo... 5 minutes later my girlfriend comes running back to the room with hives form head to toe caused by an allergic reaction... a trip to the pharmacy conveniently located accross the road and a call to front desk todl us to come to the desk to check out and a manager would deal with us as there was not one on site... not 10 mintes after that call i turn on the tv to find we have 3 channels and a remote that doesnt work... which means i cant even change those channels.. so another call to the front desk and instead of giving me the remtoe code they sayt hey will send maintenanc.e... well an hour and a half later a greasy man comes knocking at the door... i let him in and he proceds ot looka t absolluetly everything that i had in the room even pointing out htings he thinks are cute and romantic.. hello invasion of privacy... he fixes the remote and leaves... then its time for the jacuzzi tub.. which sounded more or less like a jet engine was taking off and just when the mood got romantic you could hear the person in the bathroom next to us having a good time in their shower... so after the bath we decide to watch a movie and head to sleep... which lead to waking up every 10 minutes to change the heater because no amount of fiddling would allow the room to be nothing other then boiling hot or freezing cold... well our 9am wake up call comes around followed b y a 10am call from the manager who wasnt even scheduled fro that day but happened to stop in.. she gave us a 30 dollar discount and a free breakfast voucher... the chick the previus night told us all she coudl do was 20$ and a free breakfast adn i wouldnt tak e that but hte manager ups it 10 and its all ok? not a chance... in closing i dont believe we will ever be staying at that hotel again and if you plan to... dont froget the calamine lotion

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thelittlecarpenter
HighwaymanOrillia, Operations Manager at Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 12 February 2010
To “thelittlecarpenter”,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me the other day. I am very glad that we were able to come to an equitable agreement and that you have agreed to visit us again. I am confident that your next visit will be a positive one and sincerely thank you for the opportunity to win back your trust as a customer.

Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre

Travellers are raving about these Orillia hotels

Brampton
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Does every drunk in Orillia stay here? When the bar closes at 2:00 am, the parties move to the halls. On my third (and final) night, my car was covered with cigar butts and was surrounded by the remnants of someone's dinner. Got a polite "sorry" on checkout. Firrst and last visit.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank lhc1
HighwaymanOrillia, Operations Manager at Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 16 September 2009
Thank you for staying with us recently at the Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre.

Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding your experience with the level of noise during your stay and the mess you experienced around the parking space you were using. We attempt to ensure that all guests have quiet and comfortable lodging, and it can sometimes be a challenge to govern all guests’ conduct during the night. We recognize that intervention is required where other guests’ behaviour intrudes on the quiet relaxation and peaceful night's rest of other guest.

I would like an opportunity to discuss the issue with you. Please feel free to contact me personally at 800-461-0269, ext. 501.

Thank you for your time.

Cobourg
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Description: The sheets were clean.
The mattress was so old that it had a definite slope to one side. If you go bring slippers the carpet was filthy. We stepped outside onto the balcony only to be captured by spider webs. A cup of cigarette butts was the outside decoration. (this was a no smoking room). On arrival the toilet did not flush.
We booked our room in April and got a confirmation number. We phoned the hotel directly the day before we left to inquire about checkout. They did not even know that we were coming. They did have room available (which should have been a red flag). We made this travel committment months ahead so we took it.
I will never stay there again. I would sooner sleep in a cave.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndyMaxt
HighwaymanOrillia, Operations Manager at Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 13 August 2009
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre. I am sorry to hear that you had some difficulties with you reservations and that you were not satisfied with your accommodations.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments with you personally, please feel free to contact me at your convenience at 800-461-0269.

Sudbury, Ont
Reviewed 10 June 2009

We've been booking an extended 'golf getaway' weekend trip with the Highwayman for the last 5 years in a row. Although it may not be the 'Ritz Carleton', the price does reflect this, it is a very decent hotel although a bit dated interior could use a facelift. The staff are always very friendly and helpfull, it is centrally located to most amenities in Orillia and McCabe's next door is a very convenient place for excellent meals and breakfast buffet. All and all, for the money, a very decent place to stay (We wouldn't have made the effort 5 years running otherwise!!!)

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to you return visit. Thanks so much for the lovely comments.

HIghwayman Inn & Conference Centre
Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Whoever cleans the rooms on the first floor should be fired.Dirty sheets,filthy Jacuzzi.It was just gross.We will never stay there again.(shudders)

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lola68Canada
Thank you for staying with us in May 2009. I would like to apologize for your failure to provide you with a satisfactory experience at our hotel.

I realize that you were dissatisfied with your room and hope to be able to discuss your concerns with you, please contact me at 800-461-0269.