“MAY HAVE BEEN WATERFRONT 50 THOUSAND YEARS AGO”

Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Woodstock Ontario
“MAY HAVE BEEN WATERFRONT 50 THOUSAND YEARS AGO”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I wasted a ton of rewards for a king Jacuzzi suite in this no water front dump. You are just as close to the water when you are in the middle of the Sahara. We arrived late and just wanted to rest. The parking is behind a bar in front of a row of stinking dumpsters replete with a welcoming cast of skunks. You enter the hotel through the back door trundle up and down stairs until you arrive at the Lobby breakfast area. Breakfast runs until 10 but but they stopped serving food at 9:25 and be prepared to clean off your table. The room - our oasis from the world was dank musty and if you can imagine in the basement. They would have charged us $219 for this room. The air was on but marginally effective and a fan on the floor ran constantly. our breathtaking view was of a rusted old grill through the window well- had it rained i am sure it we would have actually seen water.
The Suite portion if you will was four totally separate rooms - a bathroom that was functional but worn, a sitting room with a table and two chairs so stained i would not even set luggage on them, a bed room and a two person jacuzzi tub room all in a row you could not see one room from another it was a bizarre layout.
The bed was clean so we stayed the night and will never go back. The corporate side of quality inn need to see this place, the description is down right fraudulent and the standards are below $50 motel rooms. Not at all what i would expect from this chain.

Room Tip: Go some where else
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hungrywatcher
gm_cn542, Owner at Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thankyou so much for your feedback about our hotel. I am very sorry to hear you had an unsatisfactory experience while staying here last year. I would like to inform you that the ownership as well as the management has changed here since the last time you stayed at our hotel and we are trying our best to improve this historic hotel of Orillia every single day. We have made some renovations like the back and front entrance of the hotel are now painted, the carpets and rooms have been deep cleaned, the staff are being trained and retrained all the time for cleanliness of the hotel and we plan to make many more similar improvements in the near future. I agree there are stairs but this hotel is considered a historic landmark of Orillia. Many people compliment us for the quaintness and the location (in midst of downtown) of this hotel. I know you had a less than satisfactory experience and I apologize for the same, however, I hope you will visit us again sometime, stay in one of our upstairs rooms (some of which do have a view), enjoy our comfortable beds and your visit and see some positive changed made for yourself.

Thankyou,
G.S.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
UK
Reviewed 17 July 2011

*On booking (on-line) I requested a room near an elevator. I do not need to take up a disabled room, but i have problems with stairs and I knew I would be traveling with a significant amount of luggage ... I arrived to be given a room down 15 stairs from the lobby !!!!!!

I asked where the elevator was and was told they do not have one ---- I complained and asked them to look at my request if they did not have an elevator why did they not contact me--- I was told that this was my responsibility and I should always call in advance. * I never imagined in the 21st Century that a ‘modern’ hotel on multi levels would be without an elevator. *be aware*

=to be fair some good points

comfortable bed
staff did try to help with requests
$99 a night in July is not bad in Orillia
breakfast -great they had Tetley tea !! just a shame there were only 3 small tables for the whole hotel

=negaitive points

No phone signal- those of us in the basement had no phone signal no matter who your provider and so also no wi fi !
No ice or vending machines in the basement
THE SMELL - outside was grim, our room also had an awful aroma and it was not like we could open a window, being in the basement we had to been the curtains closed at all times as we looked onto a pavement.
The room was tiny and although refurbished there was little room for luggage and hanging clothes.
The Noise-the hotel is down town and I knew this when I booked and so no complaints but there was some noise during the evening with young folk who i guess had a good time next door in the night club.

You get what you pay fo

Room Tip: no phone signal in the basement rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Orillia hotels