All reviews common room cottage country short stay dryer tv bed microwave desk towels
Reviewed 13 August 2017

This is a student residence that offers accommodations outside of the school term. While the price seems attractive for a "double adjoining room", you will be sacrificing some comforts that good price.

Personally I don't care that there's not a TV, I travel with a laptop and they had ethernet in the room (as well as free Wifi, just as students would have). The room comes with a mini-refrigerator (not the kind in a hotel...bigger, for students who live in that room for months), however it is perched on a counter/desk and the one I had in the room kept cycling through a cooling phase so that it was constantly making a loud hum which made sleeping difficult.

There's a big soaker tub which is great if you like to soak in a tub, but I don't so I didn't try it out. The shower is not super strong (it's not weak either) but it's the kind of situation where you have to find the most concentrated spray and rinse your hair under that section of the water that is coming out of the shower head.

The a/c worked really well and was very responsive and the room cooled quickly. There's a lot of storage in the room naturally, but really, do you need that much storage if you're staying a couple of nights? Probably not.

The bed was my deciding point of whether I would ever return again. Since it was hard AF, I will not be returning. My friend who lives an hour and a half away decided to leave early for home knowing that he had a comfortable bed waiting for him instead of the hard slab covered in vinyl which looked like a bed. There is no boxspring, it's on a platform with drawers in the bottom (extra storage for student life) and so moving around on the bed meant that it was very noisy. The noise itself was not so sleep-disrupting as was the punishingly hard surface of the bed on all my hips (I'm a side sleeper). Clearly the sheets and the mattress cover underneath were not interested in staying on the mattress either and I found myself trying to sleep on sheets that refused to stay tucked in and hands/arms resting on cold vinyl.

If you're a young person with a body that will adapt to such a hard surface and you can sleep through anything, then the price is right.

If you're over 40 and you have aches and pains and know how precious sleep is, pay for a proper hotel room with a bed that you can sleep on.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank rachelcZ679GN
Reviewed 30 July 2017

This place is perfect for a short stay in cottage country and you can't beat the price! The whole building was spotless and so quiet. The staff were very friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and comfortable. We even had a mini-fridge which you don't always get in a regular hotel. The bathroom was spotless and large with plenty of towels and toiletries. The bed was pretty firm but that didn't bother me too much. There isn't a tv in the room but there is free wifi so we didn't really need it. There is a common room with access to a tv, microwave, laundry, and toaster oven for your convenience if needed. The whole property was immaculately maintained and so quiet! The location is easy to get to from the highway and we found it no problem. There isn't really much around to do although the new Costco is close by. It's not terribly close to the casino but we didn't mind the drive. I'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow. I brought mine but my husband didn't and wished he had.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Lakehead University Residence for a three night Getaway. The room was clean and had lots of drawer and closet space. The bed was hard but we both slept well. The stay was a great value.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2017

To get a reasonably priced room in cottage country is quite a challenge, but Lakehead University Residence and Conference Centre came through, $65 CAD plus tax, and easy to find, right off a main highway....you can't go wrong for that. The room, a typical dorm room was clean,comfortable and air conditioned, and the adjoining washroom was spacious and spotless. Though these rooms do not come with all of the extras of a hotel (tv, hair dryer, alarm clock, free continental breakfast that some provide), it served its purpose...a place to sleep for the night....and a nice surprise....there was complimentary muffins and coffee to grab on our way out, since we had to leave before the cafeteria was opened for the morning.....

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ConnieKiers
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

Our daughter is going to be going to LakeHead University this fall and she wanted to come for the Fast Pass and campus tours. So we decided to make the three day drive and ended up finding out we could stay right on the campus! We were pop pleasantly surprised by a clean bright apartment to stay in complete with kitchen including a freezer, microwave etc. The fellow try hat checked us in was very helpful and when we had an issue with the TV someone was here and fixed it in less than 15min. There are many things that can be added to your stay and you can't beat the rates!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family