“Disappointing stay”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Toronto
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed at the Stone Gate Inn for 2 nights in July and were rather disappointed. Overall, the staff at the hotel come across as a bit curt and certainly did not make us feel particularly welcome. Although the hotel seems fairly new, the rooms were a bit musty and rather old fashioned when it comes to design and furnishings. The bed was comfortable but the air conditioning was rather noisy and the windows in the bedroom could not be opened. The rooms were a good size and offered a small kitchen. Although breakfast was included, it might as well not have been because it is rather pathetic. Croissants are only served on the weekends (who knows why, what does it take to make a croissant?) and the remaining choices are extremely limited. Orillia itself was surprisingly boring, especially considering that it was tourist season. Casino Rama was also a big disappointment. The food was bad, the atmosphere cold and the machines paid very little if any. Compared to the casino in Niagara Falls, this one is pathetic. Overall a disappointing stay and we will not be back in Orillia any time soon.

sgigm, Manager at Stone Gate Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
I’m very sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your visit to Orillia. I’m disappointed to see that you found the staff “curt” as we pride ourselves in providing a warm and accommodating atmosphere for our guests as one can see by scanning Trip advisor reviews. I’m sorry that you found our suites “old fashioned” as we have updated all of our suites within the last 1-1.5 years and “musty” is certainly never been used to describe our establishment. Air conditioning units can seem loud in a hotel room environment, often because it is a different sound then guests are accustomed to at home, they do occasionally need repair and we’re happy to look at them immediately if asked. Some of our suites do not have windows that open, many of them do and I would be happy to ensure you receive a suite with sliding doors that open if you choose to return.

I’m very sorry that you found our breakfast a disappointment, our guests are typically very happy with it. We do provide quite an extensive complimentary deluxe continental breakfast which does include the following choices; scrambled eggs (hard boiled on the weekends to provide some variety), sausage, white & brown toast, various fresh baked muffins (yes croissants are served on weekends again, to provide variety), various selections of bagels, fresh fruit, fruit salad, yogurt, granola, hot & cold cereal, apple & orange juice, milk, regular & decalf coffee, regular & specialty teas.

I respectfully disagree that Orillia is boring in the summer. Our community offers constant events, festivals and celebrations throughout the city, along with many activities to enjoy and attractions to visit such as the Museum of Art & History, the Historic Orillia Opera House, various shops and art galleries, the Stephen Leacock Museum and home, the beautiful Couchiching Beach park and Port of Orillia, the Island Princess boat cruises, the famous Mariposa Market, the Ontario Provincial Police Museum, Scales Nature Park, the Muskoka Wildlife Centre, beautiful Tudhope Park, Scouts Valley walking park, various championship golf courses located from 5-20 minutes from Stone Gate Inn, Hardwood Ski & Bike, fishing and walking and/or cycling on the Trans Canada trail just to name a few.

Once again, we are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us, and we hope you’ll reconsider visiting Stone Gate Inn and our beautiful “Sunshine City” Orillia. I wish you a happy summer season.

Christian Lauder
Director of Sales & Administration
STONE GATE INN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Korean first
sudbury
Reviewed 12 July 2012

just stayed in this lovely hotel while visiting casino rama for a yes concert, loved the free breakfast lots of choice, only disapointment no shuttle flat rate was $25 each way keep this in mind

1 Thank happysanman
Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We had read the great reviews and were not dissappointed. This hotel was excellent, the staff suggested Sixteen Front for dinner which is owned by the same people. Our room was quiet, and very clean. The breakfast included was above average, with lots of selection. Like others the loctaion is not the best, our 4th floor suite had a view of a school bus parking lot next door.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I needed a place to stay for a wedding north of Orillia. Gravenhurst was closer to the wedding location, but the accommodation opportunities were limited. So I searched online and decided that Stone Gate Inn looked clean and comfortable .... and only a 20 minute drive to the wedding location.
I called on my way up north and asked if by chance would I be able to get an early check-in on my way further north. They were so pleasant and accommodating on the phone, and luckily able to offer an early check-in. The rooms are immaculate - incredibly clean with lots of amenities. The room was complete with a fireplace, small kitchenette that had a microwave, fridge, coffee machine, sink - just enough. The beds are comfortable with nice linens. The washroom was immaculate !!! with soft white fluffy towels and a variety of good quality toiletries in case you arrive without. The hotel is very well maintained - very clean, friendly staff...... and pretty flowers and a garden out front to welcome you.
There was a welcome hour the night I arrived that I didn't get to stay for, but watched the staff preparing a bevy of food for guests {looked yummy}. I did take in the breakfast the next day - a variety of bread, buns, muffins, bagels, yogurt, fruit, granola, juice and great coffee.
If you are going up to the casino or anything else in the area, try this pretty spot. I'm happy that I found a great place to stay when I am in the area, and will be returning again.
Thanks to the staff and owners...... it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank OurTimeNow
CANADA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

By far this hotel is one of the best for the price. It is very clean, the rooms spacious and the beds very comfortable. A continental breakfast is included in the reasonable price of the room. The rooms are modern, roomy and comfortable. We stayed this time in an executive suite and very pleased. The grounds are nicely landscaped and well maintained.

Toronto
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I chose this hotel based on the positive feedback on TA. I booked a night with the golf package a day prior the arrival date through their website. The hotel staff called me rapidly for confirmation and asked my preferred time/location to golf and etc.
I was greeted by the staff once i stepped into the hotel. The decoration was a bit dated yet it's very clean. I asked for a change from 2 double bed to a king size bed and arrangement was made right away.
Room was very spacious and clean. I have stayed many different high-end hotels before yet the cleanliness is really beyond standard, everything in the room was really well maintained. Bathroom was spotless! (bathroom and bed have to be spotless!!!)
I just found the mattress was a bit soft for my back as i used to the firm mattress.
Breakfast was included in the package. Scramble eggs, sausages, yogurt and fruits (it will be even better if they serve fresh fruits instead of canned fruit.) bagels and coffee.
Free wifi (hi-speed), friendly staffs and spotless room. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 10 June 2012

My boyfriend and I saw the hotel online and headed to Orillia for a few days away. The minute we pulled into the parking lot we saw the foodland next door headed in to the front desk and decided to head to another destination. What a mistake!!! The next night we returned and discovered why this is such a top rated hotel. The rooms are immaculate and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and the room amenities were second to none. They have thought of everything in the suites and I would definitely stay there again! And the foodland was open 24 hours and quite convenient.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank bubblesdlc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orillia
Best Western Plus Orillia Hotel
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#12 of 14 in Orillia
Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre

Been to Stone Gate Inn? Share your experiences!