“Not what I expected”
Review of Stone Gate Inn

Stone Gate Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here last week for a night and I have to say it was nice but not what I expected. The rooms are nice and clean and the staff are very good at their jobs. I was a bit surprised with the size of the pool and sauna as it was smaller than I expected. I was also surprised the hotel does not have a restaurant for its guests. I was also surprised it also did not have in room movies to rent. As I said the room was extremely clean with many amenities....coffee, sink, fridge, desk and fireplace. We stayed on the top floor (4) and we found it noisey all night. Likely the roof mechanics and unfortunately a noisey fridge. I did not sleep very well. If we decide to stay again I sure won't stay on the top floor because of the noise of the roof.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor.
3  Thank Ken M
GuestServicesOrillia, General Manager at Stone Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We certainly look forward to your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Stone Gate Inn

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was our first time at Stonegate Inn. I decided on this place based on the reviews. We chose wisely. My wife and I were both impressed with the decor, ammenities, cleanliness and service. I've stayed in many Hotels/Motels across North America but in my opinion Stonegate Inn offers the best value for your dollar hands down. The every Friday evening cocktail hour (I think it run's from 5-8 pm) with free hot and cold snacks was great. Something few places offer these days. And the complimentry continental breakfast every morning was fantastic. It had exactly what we were looking for (even hot soft boiled eggs and sausages - my only negative is that they need to change their sausages to a more expensive brand. The ones I tasted weren't very good). The reason we stayed at the Stonegate Inn was to catch a show at Casino Rama. It was only a 15-18 minute drive which we did instead of taking the Inn's shuttle service which isn't really worth the additional cost. Overall, a great weekend and we will definately be returning.

2  Thank Wayne L

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer such nice comments. I'm happy to report that after much testing and debate we have changed our breakfast sausages and they have been extremely well received. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have been staying at the Stone Gate once or twice every year for the last 8 years (approx). We keep returning because the place is fabulous! Great service, we love Happy Hour on Friday, the rooms are always absolutely clean, comfortable and well-appointed. The pool facility is great for relaxing, there is a friendly bar and the place just feels right! Although not the cheapest place in Orillia, it certainly packs value...Enjoy:)!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Pomplewrite

Thank you so much for your kind review and continued patronage. We are very happy to be your hotel of choice in Orillia!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We found this hotel online when we decided to stay in Orillia. Although the hotel is not very close to the main street, it is only about a mile drive. It's in a quiet part of town and is a great spot for a couple or older families. We had booked a specific room a couple weeks prior to our visit however when we arrived the only room left was the least desirable room overlooking the lobby. We drew this to the attention of the front desk representative Laurie, and she was very accommodating to offer us the luxury suite for our inconvenience. Needless to say, the room is phenomenal, boasting a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and full kitchen. That room runs approx $200 per night.

The pool is very tiny and is deceiving from the pictures on the site. There is a small hot tub by the pool, which was lukewarm but clean.

The breakfast room accommodated the large number of people who arrived. The breakfast was basic, but good and hot.

The crowd were mainly seniors, and a very few families with kids. The hotel was very quiet, which was perfect.

A great spot to stay with a warm and welcoming staff! Thanks again Laurie for correcting the hotel's mistake and making our weekend a great one!

Room Tip: All of the rooms look nice. The hotel is 12 years old, but doesn't look dated.
2  Thank David L

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by our stay at the Stone Gate Inn. Conveniently located just steps away from a Foodland Grocery store and the Beer Store, and just 20 minutes away from both Mount St. Louis Moonstone and Horseshoe Valley. We found the rooms to be extremely clean and well proportioned. The kitchen was clean and well organized. In addition, we stayed on a Friday night and were treated to some snacks at 5pm - there we meatballs, a nacho dip, veggie tray and a cheese tray. I was quite impressed. Breakfast the next morning was also great. There was a breakfast bar with various types of bread, bagels and muffins, hot oatmeal, fruit, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. We'll stay here again next time we want to go skiing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AlwaysLovesToTravel1

I'm so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you during this wonderful summer season as well!

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Couldn't ask for better! My wife loved the fireplace and size of the room.. People have complained about the breakfast - I don't see why...I'm full! Good price, too - and I'm of Scottish descent! ;) We WILL be back and looking forward to the pool and hot tub..

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestServicesOrillia, General Manager at Stone Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay! Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful comments.
I noticed you mentioned you are of Scottish decent. I would like to point out that Orillia has a wonderful Scottish Festival every year, which I myself being of Scottish background enjoy annually, that you may like to attend. We hope to see you agin soon!

Christian Lauder

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed here one night based on Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The hotel is immaculate and tastefully decorated. Front desk check in was friendly and efficient, particularly when we asked about restaurants in the area. Nice toiletries, comfortable beds, free Wifi. Chocolates on the bed were a nice touch. We were tired so did not go out to eat but ate in the bar area which has a small menu. Had chicken wings, beer, wine. All delicious and served in a friendly manner. Breakfast the following morning (included) was good - scrambled eggs, sausage, hot & cold cereal, fruit salad, yogurt, toast, muffins. The only negative thing was the water for the bath/shower could have been hotter - it was only lukewarm. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestServicesOrillia, General Manager at Stone Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm very pleased to see that you enjoyed so many different aspects of the hotel. Thank you for mentioning the hot water. We will certainly have someone look into that right away to make sure there are no issues.

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Christian Lauder

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orillia
Best Western Plus Orillia Hotel
Days Inn - Orillia
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#13 of 14 in Orillia

Been to Stone Gate Inn? Share your experiences!