“A Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Orillia
Thornhill, Canada
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here because we were visiting our grandchildren the next day for Visitor's Day at a nearby camp. We decided to come to Orillia a day earlier and make it a mini holiday. We were pleasantly surprised by this lovely Inn. It is an all suite hotel so every room has a little efficiency kitchen area. If you are staying several nights, which we weren't , the hotel is conveniently located next to a 24 hour Foodland. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Friday nights there are complimentary orderves served between 5 - 8 pm. This was the perfect mini meal as we headed to the Casino. The staff were very friendly. We would stay here again if we were taking in the entertainment at Rama. Good value. Continental breakfast is also included. Free coffee is available all day and at the front desk there was a basket of fresh apples to enjoy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestServicesOrillia, General Manager at Stone Gate Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Ontario
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our three night stay at Stone Gate was very nice !! The building is lovely ! I was at first view so impressed with the lovely flower boxes from numerous windows and planters out front ! They were lush and very well cared for !! The interior did not disappoint. Our suite was lovely ..........two rooms, and wonderfully comfortable king size bed and the best robes I've had anywhere !!! And chocolate mint sticks on the pillow too !!!!
A very short drive to a wonderful park, beach and boardwalk .
This hotel is linked to an awesome fine dining restaurant that's about a 5 minute drive away, and they will make the reservations for you at the front desk.
Everything was immaculately clean and cared for.
The only possible improvement I could ask for would be a better continental breakfast. What we had was ok, but some fresh fruit would be a big improvement ! and perhaps a larger overall selection.
We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm sorry you missed the fresh fruit for breakfast as we do keep bananas in our breakfast area and apples at our front desk. Adding some more variety to our fruit options is a great suggestion, thank you!
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I booked a last minute bike trip riding the Oro-Medonte Rail Trail last weekend. It was during the Scottish Festival in Orillia and hotel space was limited. Stone Gate Inn had pretty decent reviews and above all was rated as clean.

This hotel met and/or exceeded our expectations in terms of cleanliness, modern accommodations, service and space. Our only complaints would be that it was not close the city center/downtown..must drive (or bike) and the pool facility was super small. It served our needs for certain, but it was have been disappointing if we had our kids with us and were expecting a family sized pool.

Super clean, breakfast was good and service fantastic

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the timie to comment on our property. I'm happy to hear we were able to make your visit to Orillia a good one!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I recently had the opportunity to enjoy a stop over at this wonderful establishment . We were going to the Casino to see a concert (for an anniversary treat) and decided to spend the night. Imagine our surprise when we reached our room and a lovely bottle of complimentary sparkling wine was there from the staff congratulating us on this special occasion.
The room was immaculate, the beds very comfortable and the staff outstanding. We will definitely make it a point to return to this inn whenever we are in the area, and we will refer all our friends visiting the Casino to do likewise. Thank you again to all of the staff.

1 Thank sazanneannne
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and congratulations on your anniversary! Hopefully we will have the pleasure of hosting you again soon!
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I spent 1 night this past week and was so impressed that I wanted to write a review. I had a 1 bedroom suite with king size bed which was extremely comfortable. I was greeted with mints on the bed & the bathrobes were very luxurious. There was a fully equipped kitchen, French doors to the bedroom, a beautiful jacuzzi tub as well as a roomy shower. The entire suite was very clean & I was pleased that I was able to open patio doors off the living room. note: There is only a railing so one cannot sit on a balcony.
There were very generous appetizers from 5-8 pm in the small bar as well as a continental breakfast from 6-10 am. There is no restaurant in the inn but there are several restaurants within 1-2 kms. There is also a room service menu.
The view was not great (yard of school buses) but it was very quiet.
The inn offers a very reasonably priced Casino Rama package as well as golf & skiing packages.
I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room on opposite side of highway very quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope so see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked at Stone Gate Inn based on the customer reviews, but our stay was horrible. The air-condition system was making huge sound all through the night and we couldn't sleep. The fridge was also making terrible noice from its compressor, all in all Stone Gate was a bad choice. (We stayed on June 29, 2014)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jose M
GuestServicesOrillia, General Manager at Stone Gate Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I'm so very sorry to read that you were disturbed and did not enjoy your stay.

I was not aware of this issue until i read your comments and I would appreciate it if you would contact me at the hotel so that I can get information from you and address this immediately.
This is certainly not normal at Stone Gate Inn and I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Again please accept my most sincere apologies.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My family of 5 stayed here for 2 nights, and with other relatives in different rooms. We had the Executive Suite which has a separate bedroom and great sized mini-kitchen (included 4 sets of dishes, cutlery, wash cloth, tea towel and even dish soap). Lots of room for others to come in and hang out in the "living room". Pool was small, but almost always empty, so it wasn't a problem. Everything was very clean. I was surpised at how clean the stairwell was, believe it or not! Elevator was slow, so we usually took the stairs.

Buffet breakfast in the morning had sausages, scrambled eggs, yogurt, fruit salad, cereal, milk, juice, tea, coffee, muffins, bagels, bread / toast; whenever something ran out, I'd just ask the staff and they'd replace it. Always nice to meander down to breakfast when it suits.

Room Tip: Our room (#209) faced a parking lot filled with school buses. Not that great, but I don't think...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank OntarioJenn
I'm very glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to the pleasure of hosting you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orillia
Best Western Plus Orillia Hotel
Econo Lodge
#13 of 14 in Orillia
Days Inn - Orillia
Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre

Been to Stone Gate Inn? Share your experiences!