“Not world famous strudel”

Chef Bernard's Platzl Inn
Ranked #9 of 51 Restaurants in Kimberley
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef Bernard,wife Julie and daughter nicole came to Kimberley in 1989. They stop to have a coffee and never left. Chef Bernard's inn & restaurant has become quite a legend in these parts. Serving up fantastic food, Chef Bernard's provide the best experience for travelers looking for great food, fresh to your table and some say the best coffee ever! Chef Bernard has experience as a master chef with Hilton Hotels and the king of Tonga in London, England. Using his abounding talent and personality to spice thing up, he has created an international menu that gives you the feeling of a free trip around the world. This chef's motto is "life's too short to eat fast food." In addition to writing his own cookbook, chef Bernard's is a 5-star Award winning restaurant. Chef Bernard's inn & Restaurant also offers three guest apartments with hot tub. Above the restaurant at affordable rates.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We felt very welcome. The owner was at the door encouraging us to come in. Seated and the server was there immediately with the menu. And downhill from there. We placed our order which was called Tourist Special and iced tea. Tourist special was schnitzel with mushroom gravy, pan fried potatoes, beet slaw and " world famous strudel". Our order was delivered almost immediately so could not have been fresh cooked. Gravy from a can covering canned mushrooms. The beet slaw was good. World famous strudel was unevenly seasoned and the pastry soggy. We were never offered refills on our drinks. Add to that the fact that cigarette smoke continually drifted in to our patio table causing an asthmatic at our table to be very uncomfortable I don't think this is an experience we wish to repeat.

3  Thank Lemer5404
chefbernards, Owner at Chef Bernard's Platzl Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

I apologize that you did not have a pleasant experience here at Chef Bernard's. We are a high volume restaurant serving over 150 lunches per day. All of our meals are served fresh by order and we try to get our food out as quickly as possible to keep up with the demand. Our schnitzel only takes minutes to cook and we make our mushroom cream sauce in large quanity fresh every morning. We purchase up to 8 cases of mushrooms from Gordon Food Services out of Calgary per week. Last year we sold over 24kms of apple strudel which we bake fresh 4 or 5 times a day.
We wish you would of let us know that your experience here was not the best so we would of had the chance to correct it and have you leaving happy. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The meal was warm but served minutes after ordering which leads me to believe it was pre-cooked. It was mediocre at best and I would not call their apple strudel "world famous". I also highly suspect the gravy was from a tin. The service was reasonable but that didn't make up for the quality of the meal. I wouldn't eat there again.

1  Thank 2nns

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Food is AWEFUL eat somewhere else.....Apple strudel sucks. Not a very clean restaurant smells old and of cigarette smoke.....This chef needs to go back to Germany to take cooking lessons because the food is not good at all. Service was good. Water tasted like old tap water. Utensils had food on them too. Cleanliness is definitely an issue. If when u first sit down to eat and have dirty utensils then that's a sign to leave!

2  Thank Randy S
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have eaten many times at chef Bernards and it has never been a disappointment!
Besides taking great pride at his work, the chef makes sure his customers are taken care of. The food is always on time, without waiting too long. The restaurant has a personality itself with al the interesting items displayed. And there is a train passing by while you eat a delicious fresh baked applestrudle!

1  Thank coolcappucina .
Reviewed 5 July 2014

It was my bachelorette party this weekend, and we went here for lunch. The service was terrible to start. Our food came out before our drinks. When our drinks did come out, all of our Caesars were extremely watered down and disgusting. I ordered a salad, and my cheese had been dropped on the floor and then put back on the plate. There was dirt all over the cheese, and a piece of string. When I confronted the waitress, she sent the chef out and he freaked out on me. I showed him my cheese and he said "that's clean". I then showed him all the dirt and string, and he threw the cheese down and then told me I still needed to pay the full price. I told him there was no way I was paying for something that was on the floor and I didn't even eat. Then he threw the bill fold at me and yelled "next time, go eat somewhere else". And believe me, I will. This man was so rude. I would never recommend this place to my worst enemy.

7  Thank Kuryvialc