“Disappointing”

Island Quest Marine
More attraction details
Owner description: For whale watching Island Quest Marine delivers a true Bay of Fundy whale & wildlife adventure. Explore the Bay of Fundy tides aboard our custom-built cruiser, the 13.41-m (44 ft.) M/V Island Quest. Enjoy comfort and speed along with the experience of our LOCAL captain's, whose lifetime on the bay makes for a unique and authentic adventure! Cruise past scenic lighthouses, herring weirs and aquaculture sites on the way to the whales' playground. Knowledgeable marine biologists provide interpretation while you spot humpback, finback, minke and North Atlantic right whales, along with seals, porpoises and eagles. Discover the sea creatures in our onboard touch tank, feel samples of whale baleen and indulge in a seafood snack and refreshment on the way back from your ultimate adventure!
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I feel bad for writing this review but I think it is necessary to point out to the organization why I feel this way.
First of all I loved the crew on this boat. They were all so nice and explained a lot which was great. It was also noticeable how everyone of them had a lot of passion and loved what they were doing.
The reason why I gave it more of a bad rating is because a few years ago I went whale watching in Brier Island, it was absolutely beautiful and I still love looking at the pictures now. With this tour I just got disappointed. Maybe my expectations were set high I don‘t know but they just didn‘t get fulfilled at all.
One of the crew members had said that once we see a whale we will follow and try to get a good glimpse of him. We drove out with the boat and spied a whale who was alone. It was hard to predict where he/she would appear next, so it was hard to take pictures. After the whale had appeared for maybe 6 times I still didn‘t have a good picture of it. At this point I didn‘t worry to much about it thinking there will be another chance. The whale then didn‘t seem to come back up for a while. The boat started to move again so I thought we would go to another place where there might be some more whales, instead we went to see a salmon farm and a sardine fence. I do not want to try to sound rude but I paid to see whales. We saw one and we left him...Why?! Why didn‘t we stay with him longer?! In the end we returned back to the st. Andrews. If I would have an income I wouldn‘t even care to much for the $130 dollars I spend for 2 adult tickets but as a student it hurts even more to have lost this money.

5  Thank Isabel S
IslandQuestMarineLtd, Owner at Island Quest Marine, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Isabel S,
Thank you for choosing Island Quest for your Whale and Wildlife Cruise. Also, thank you for the kind comments regarding our awesome vessel and amazing staff,the level of enthusiasm and passion we have for what we do is evident. We appreciate you taking the time to review Island Quest. It is fantastic that you have had the opportunity to whale watch in other parts of the Bay of Fundy, as each place is very unique. In regards to this, making a comparison between whale watching from Brier Island and whale watching from St. Andrews can sometimes be difficult as the experiences are very different. Island Quest focus' on everything the Bay of Fundy has to offer - from seals, to porpoise, eagles, lighthouses, our culture and our awesome fishing history in our area - we believe all aspects are very important and we try to incorporate all of these into our 2.5-3 hour cruise.

Unfortunately, we cannot always spend the majority of our time with the whales, as weather or even the whales do not permit this. We do our VERY best on each and every departure to make sure our guests get to make that special connection with the whales that we are watching. After saying that, we also respect the amazing creatures that we are watching. If they choose not to surface close to the boat or range in a large area then we will not chase or berate them. We hope to instil a sense of respect for these amazing animals in their natural environment, that permit us to spend time with them daily. Guests usually leave with a sense of awe seeing them in their natural habitat - the wild. Each and every trip is different, on your departure we were hoping to pick up more whales on the way back to port but unfortunately on this day the whales were being 'difficult' - we hope to see multiple whales on each and every departure but this is not always the case. Our Captains do their very best on every departure to provide an exceptional experience and what we advertise - culture, history and marine life.
As a student it is unfortunate that you didn't mention that to us! We have fantastic student rates at $48 per person!

We hope to see you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

"great trip"
in 9 reviews
"see whales"
in 10 reviews
"staff were very friendly"
in 5 reviews
"a nice touch"
in 5 reviews
"the east coast"
"hour tour"

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had a 3 hour tour with a small group (only 9 people plus captain and marine biologist) so there was lots of room to move about on the boats upper and lower decks. Captain Robbie was great, but Beth was an excellent guide on the tour. She showed us the route we were taking, provided lots of information about what we were seeing and some history of the area, provided a drink/snack for everyone, and ensured everyone was safe. We saw whales, porpoises, and seals. Great experience, would do it again!

1  Thank Carin F
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband, son and I went on a whale watching tour with Island Quest on August 21st and had a really great time. The staff are very friendly and extremely knowledgeable, and they are great with children. We were able to see lots of marine wildlife as well as beautiful scenery. I highly recommend Island Quest Marine. We will be booking with them again next summer!

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We just had the best day whale watching with Island Quest. Captain Robbie and our marine biologists Johnny and Julie were all so informative and fun, they made the trip extra amazing!! My eight yr old daughter was a bit skeptical at the onset but once Johnny started talking about all the things we could potentially see, she perked up. Once we saw the seals lazing on the islands and the porpoises skimming through the waves she was hooked 100% Next came the minke whales popping up all over the bay...it was so exciting waiting to see where they were going to pop up next. Then the most exciting, most awesome part of the day...Captain Robbie spotted a fin in the water, cruising near the surface for quite a while...a sure sign of a BASKING SHARK!! We followed it for quite a while and it came right up beside the boat!! That was definitely the icing on an already great cake! All this along with the snack and drinks and the interactive hands on marine life lesson and the knowledgeable, kind manner in which every person who works within this company comes across are the MANY reasons Island Quest is the only whale watching company you should book with. Thank you all again for an amazing day!!

2  Thank Kelly C
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This company is local and family owned. We also feel more comfortable about their steady and nice size boat but a small size tour group (12-14 people). Captain Chris steered the boat and two young and very friendly marine biologists explained to us everything from local history to every wild life in the Bay of Fundy area. One worked in the first floor which is warmer, and one worked on the top floor which can be windy but has a 360 degree ocean view. The boat basically is a moving classroom. Before we stepped on the boat, the lady in the registration took out pictures of whales and explained each of them to our child and patiently answered all questions. On the boat, they have all kinds of ocean plants and lives in a container and kids can learn about them and touch them.

The whales appear very close to the shore and the water was calm. So the experience is easy (no sea sick). The chance of seeing whales are great because the whale watching companies in the area seem working together. They comb every corner of the Bay, and if one spots a whale, they radio other companies and all boats come together to see the whale. In summary, they all go to the same place, the only difference is what kind of boat and which company do you feel comfortable with.

Due to Christ' local water knowledge and experience of coming from generations of fishing family, our boat had the advantage. Out of 8 times we saw the whale, six times our boat had the closest view. One time, the whale merged out the water only 10 yards away from us, and we had the full view and heard loud noises. It was so surreal!

1  Thank MLPNYC