“Fabulous renovation of an old classic!”

The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Saint Andrews
Montreal
“Fabulous renovation of an old classic!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We spent two nights at The Algonquin which we understand had just been renovated and reopened this past March. The setting of the hotel is beautiful, high on a hill overlooking St. Andrews. It is a large resort hotel of the old style built originally in 1899. However, the renovations have turned it into a thoroughly modern facility retaining all of its old charm. I particularly enjoyed the large pictures of The Algonquin of years gone by placed throughout the hotel. There is a fabulous indoor pool with a waterside for kids, another beautiful outdoor pool, and a lakeside beach just steps away. I do not golf but hear the course is amazing. It is worth driving down to the end of Joe's Point Road to see the last few holes of the golf course overlooking the ocean. We had a light dinner at the bar which was very good. The oatmeal with carmalized bananas on the breakfast menu was the best I ever had.

1 Thank ReadyToTravelYUL
Tim O, General Manager at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear readytot,

It was nice to read that you and your family enjoyed your time at our resort. We worked hard to pay respect to our past while introducing some contemporary elements - it is nice to have those efforts appreciated. I hope you have an opportunity to come back this way. If you do, please be sure to let me know. (The oatmeal is my favourite as well!)

Tim Ostrem, The Algonquin Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel in July of 2014. We stayed in many hotels and B&Bs on a long road trip through Maine and Canada. Our room at the Algonquin was the best we stayed in. It was well appointed, and very clean. The hotel has recently been refurbished by Marriott and you can tell they were very careful to make the rooms stylish, in tune with the hotel's wonderful decor, and completely up to date with luxury amenities. All the hotel staff were very helpful and professional including the front desk, restaurant staff, and cleaning teams. The hot tub was perfect, the pool and its water slide lots of fun, and the fire pit a perfect ending to a long travel day. Marriott did a great job of restoring an historic hotel to all its former beauty. Well done Marriott. Great staff, great hotel, and a great room. And oh by the way, we had a very reasonable room rate.

1 Thank Philip S
Dear Phillip S,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community. I was very pleased to read that we were one of the highlights of your Atlantic get-a-way! If I can ever be of service to you on a future trip through Atlantic Canada, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Yours in Hospitality,
Rothesay, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is quite the story!

I had the privilege of spending 4 nights at the Algonquin this summer. WOW!!! I was floored when I walked in there! The property has undergone such a massive transformation!! It is beautiful!!!!!!! If you plunked the Algonquin into any cosmopolitan center...it wouldn't miss a beat! The place is stunning!!!

The first night was for a food show held at the college in town. The night was great...loved the local charcuterie and the staff at Braxton's lounge were super friendly and very pleasant to have conversations with.

The second 2 nights were amazing! Super cozy beds, the shampoo smells amazing, love the rainfall shower! The waterslide is incredible!!! Do yourself a favour and throw yourself down it a few times...you'll be happy you did! The meal at Braxton's was great and my 2 kids loved getting all dolled up to go eat at a fancy restaurant. The décor of the restaurant is pretty unique as well.

The 3rd night was during hurricane Arthur/TRI St. Andrews weekend. The hotel had no power and the atmosphere was electric...pun intended! There were people gathered in every public space, playing board games, having drinks and listening to Chambers Mclean play the piano. I'm not going to lie, the hallways were spooky in the dark with only a few candles here and there...really making me think of "the Shining"....but it added to the experience. The staff were all very helpful, professional and willing to assist my mother and I, who is a diabetic. I'm very familiar with the hospitality and tourism industry and know the challenges of a re-launch and opening of a new property...there are always growing pains, but this being said, the staff are all doing a truly fantastic job and I know that they're getting better everyday! Keep up the good work!!! I can't wait to go back ...even if it was only to bomb down that waterslide a few more times!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Markian S,

Thank you for the thoughtful review and kind words. We are very proud of the renovations and the exceptional efforts of our team. I am pleased you appreciated their efforts as well. Please be sure to say hello the next time you pass through. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Algonquin Resort has been redone and is now a wonderful stay in St. Andrews. Rooms are luxurious with new furnishings and modern updates for this historic hotel. A very good restaurant and a bar. Wonderful covered porch with rocking chairs and couches overlooking the lawns where you can have a drink and just relax. WiFi is free and everywhere. The second floor terrace is the place to see the sunset. A great hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a chair and a desk
1 Thank Gloria B
NCHR, Director of Sales at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Gloria B: Thank you for visiting the Algonquin and for your complementary review! The sunsets in St. Andrews are beautiful, the sunrise too.

We look forward to your return,
Denise Bradbury
Algonquin Resort
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This property is one of the most magical places in the Maritimes. The update was perfect, modernization but not excessive to where the uniqueness and nostalgia is lost.

Service is superb, the shuttle service was awesome: they took us down where we were meeting our friend's at their boat and even stopped at the liquor store, so we could bring some drinks to our host.

I have yet to truly test the food, but my next trip will certainly being making a trip to the restaurant.

The location in the town is central and close to the charming shops and restaurants.

Just a magical place.

• Stayed June 2014
Tim O, General Manager at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear NickFanelli,

Sincere thanks for the lovely comments! We can't wait to welcome you back and give you a more complete taste of the Algonquin experience at Braxton's Restaurant and Bar or The Clubhouse.

Tim, The Algonquin Resort
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'm a local town citizen and have been waiting anxiously for the completion of the hotel refurbishment. Earlier this month on a Saturday evening we shared a martini at the Braxton Bar and had an excellent fine dining meal. An excellent choice for foods. I had the best chef prepared chicken ever. My fiancée and I shared an appetizer of fresh oysters that were among the best for flavours - I would recommend to any oyster lover. Service was a bit long for the main course but we were enjoying our wine and excellent conversation. The server was attentive, engaging though we could tell the pressure was coming on when table checks were very brief a couple times. The wine selection needs some review with prices as they were - somewhat high. If there were more choices for half bottles and by the glass the final bill wouldn't have been so scary. We went there with low expectations given the start up challenges for their first season, but we must say we had a very enjoyable evening in beautiful surroundings. I'm happy for staff who want this to be very successful. I would recommend at least one dinner there for travellers and be sure to try the other 3-4 equally magnificent fine dining experiences in and around St. Andrews.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ByTheSea56,

Thank you for joining us in Braxton's Restaurant and Bar. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience and appreciated your thoughtful and helpful recommendations. Thank you for your patience and understanding with the service timing.

Tim, The Algonquin Resort
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Algonquin resort in St Andrews. Beautiful grounds. Good location. Great porch to relax on. Excellent dinner at Braxton's, but pricey. The indoor pool has a long tube slide that kids love. There are also fire pits outside to sit around. The golf course looked very picturesque too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear cmsmile,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community! We are very proud of the property and the numerous options to escape and relax; I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them. Please be sure to let me know when you are returning so that I may pass along my personal thanks.

Yours in Hospitality,
#2 of 7 in Saint Andrews
Kingsbrae Arms
Kingsbrae Arms
#9 of 13 in Saint Andrews

Been to The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection

Property: The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection
Address: 184 Adolphus Street, Saint Andrews, New Brunswick E5B 1T7, Canada
Region: Canada > New Brunswick > Saint Andrews
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Saint Andrews
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:4 star — The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection 4*
The Algonquin is one of Canada's most luxurious and legendary resorts. Rich in history, meticulously restored to its original splendour, and complete with every modern comfort you could desire, this year-round destination truly offers the best of the past with contemporary amenities. The iconic building and its grounds are an oasis. Elegant guest rooms, contemporary dining, indoor and outdoor pools, waterslide, a pampering spa, private beach, manicured gardens, and cocktails on our historic veranda add up to a vacation to savour and remember. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Agoda, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews By-The-Sea, Autograph Collection Saint Andrews, Canada - New Brunswick