The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Pansy Patch(Saint Andrews)
  • Room Service
Picket Fence Motel(Saint Andrews)
View Hotel
St. Andrews Motor Inn(Saint Andrews)
View Hotel
Seaside Beach Resort(Saint Andrews)
Rossmount Inn(Chamcook)
  • Pool
Granite Town Hotel(Saint George)
View Hotel
Saint Stephen Inn(St. Stephen)
Winsome Inn(St. Stephen)
View Hotel
All reviewsindoor poolgolf coursewater slidesboard gamesrocking chairsgrand old hotelseafood chowdergarden patioold world charmbeautiful resortnew brunswickmain buildingcommon areasfire pitfine diningmodern amenitiesdining room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for four nights so we had plenty of time to enjoy this classic hotel. The place has been fully renovated and everything was clean and fresh. Perhaps some of the old world charm has been lost but you still get a feeling of luxury while staying there.

Upon our arrival the front desk staff were extremely gracious and helpful and were kind enough to upgrade our room for reasons I won't go into here.

Both the indoor and outdoor pools were beautiful and relaxing. The indoor pool has a water slide that was really fun, even for an old coot like me.

Our room had a fridge and a sink which allowed us to make our own lunches.

The town of St. Andrews was not nearly as "touristy" as I feared it would be. It was quiet and un-crowded while we were there. We enjoyed a few of the restaurants and coffee shops and did a bit of shopping.

The hotel is within walking distance of the downtown but is not right on the bay so don't expect any great views of the water. There is plenty of free parking and there are bikes you can borrow to get around town.

My only criticism of the hotel is with the service we received in the bar on the one night we went in there. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though and conclude that our poor experience wasn't typical of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tim O, General Manager at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear jbinovile,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated your thoughtful comments. I was disappointed to hear that you bar experience was not exceptiona. If you have a moment, please send me a note and let me know why. We look forward to welcoming you back.

tim.ostrem@algonquinresort.com

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We spent two nights at The Algonquin which we understand had just been renovated and reopened this past March. The setting of the hotel is beautiful, high on a hill overlooking St. Andrews. It is a large resort hotel of the old style built originally in 1899. However, the renovations have turned it into a thoroughly modern facility retaining all of its old charm. I particularly enjoyed the large pictures of The Algonquin of years gone by placed throughout the hotel. There is a fabulous indoor pool with a waterside for kids, another beautiful outdoor pool, and a lakeside beach just steps away. I do not golf but hear the course is amazing. It is worth driving down to the end of Joe's Point Road to see the last few holes of the golf course overlooking the ocean. We had a light dinner at the bar which was very good. The oatmeal with carmalized bananas on the breakfast menu was the best I ever had.

1  Thank ReadyToTravelYUL
Tim O, General Manager at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear readytot,

It was nice to read that you and your family enjoyed your time at our resort. We worked hard to pay respect to our past while introducing some contemporary elements - it is nice to have those efforts appreciated. I hope you have an opportunity to come back this way. If you do, please be sure to let me know. (The oatmeal is my favourite as well!)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel in July of 2014. We stayed in many hotels and B&Bs on a long road trip through Maine and Canada. Our room at the Algonquin was the best we stayed in. It was well appointed, and very clean. The hotel has recently been refurbished by Marriott and you can tell they were very careful to make the rooms stylish, in tune with the hotel's wonderful decor, and completely up to date with luxury amenities. All the hotel staff were very helpful and professional including the front desk, restaurant staff, and cleaning teams. The hot tub was perfect, the pool and its water slide lots of fun, and the fire pit a perfect ending to a long travel day. Marriott did a great job of restoring an historic hotel to all its former beauty. Well done Marriott. Great staff, great hotel, and a great room. And oh by the way, we had a very reasonable room rate.

1  Thank Philip S

Dear Phillip S,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community. I was very pleased to read that we were one of the highlights of your Atlantic get-a-way! If I can ever be of service to you on a future trip through Atlantic Canada, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is quite the story!

I had the privilege of spending 4 nights at the Algonquin this summer. WOW!!! I was floored when I walked in there! The property has undergone such a massive transformation!! It is beautiful!!!!!!! If you plunked the Algonquin into any cosmopolitan center...it wouldn't miss a beat! The place is stunning!!!

The first night was for a food show held at the college in town. The night was great...loved the local charcuterie and the staff at Braxton's lounge were super friendly and very pleasant to have conversations with.

The second 2 nights were amazing! Super cozy beds, the shampoo smells amazing, love the rainfall shower! The waterslide is incredible!!! Do yourself a favour and throw yourself down it a few times...you'll be happy you did! The meal at Braxton's was great and my 2 kids loved getting all dolled up to go eat at a fancy restaurant. The décor of the restaurant is pretty unique as well.

The 3rd night was during hurricane Arthur/TRI St. Andrews weekend. The hotel had no power and the atmosphere was electric...pun intended! There were people gathered in every public space, playing board games, having drinks and listening to Chambers Mclean play the piano. I'm not going to lie, the hallways were spooky in the dark with only a few candles here and there...really making me think of "the Shining"....but it added to the experience. The staff were all very helpful, professional and willing to assist my mother and I, who is a diabetic. I'm very familiar with the hospitality and tourism industry and know the challenges of a re-launch and opening of a new property...there are always growing pains, but this being said, the staff are all doing a truly fantastic job and I know that they're getting better everyday! Keep up the good work!!! I can't wait to go back ...even if it was only to bomb down that waterslide a few more times!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Markian S,

Thank you for the thoughtful review and kind words. We are very proud of the renovations and the exceptional efforts of our team. I am pleased you appreciated their efforts as well. Please be sure to say hello the next time you pass through. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Algonquin Resort has been redone and is now a wonderful stay in St. Andrews. Rooms are luxurious with new furnishings and modern updates for this historic hotel. A very good restaurant and a bar. Wonderful covered porch with rocking chairs and couches overlooking the lawns where you can have a drink and just relax. WiFi is free and everywhere. The second floor terrace is the place to see the sunset. A great hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a chair and a desk
1  Thank Gloria B
NCHR, Director of Sales at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Gloria B: Thank you for visiting the Algonquin and for your complementary review! The sunsets in St. Andrews are beautiful, the sunrise too.

We look forward to your return,
Denise Bradbury