“Fundy Tide Runners”

Fundy Tide Runners Whale Watching
Ranked #3 of 11 Tours in Saint Andrews
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing 19 years of whale watching experiences aboard our 25 foot Rigid Hulled Zodiac. Experience the Bay of Fundy and all the marine wildlife that thrives here. We pride ourselves on the exceptional journey offered and look forward to meeting you.
St. Stephen, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fundy Tide Runners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

What a great day of whale watching! Where do I begin! We were given very comfortable full body suits, that kept us warm and dry on the water. (We got splashed a little) It can get a bit chilly on the water, even on hot days. With the suits they give you you can just wear your summer clothing, you don't need to dress warm, like you do for the other tours. We live in the area and have tried all the different whale watching tours and this one is great for adults and teens and the most fun! There is no bathroom on the boat, so don't eat or drink just before you go. I really like the zodiac boat, it handles the waves and swells in the ocean and makes for a very comfortable fun journey. They get you out to see the whales in no time and you have great views of scenery. We had a great day seeing two whales surface many times and coming close to us several times. We also saw lots of porpoises.

5 Thank Mary Lou D

Fredericton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“This is the way to view Fundy Whales”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We have taken another boat trip to view whales from St Andrews but it was pale in comparison to the Zodiac experience. Our grandkids 10 and 12 had a blast. Captain Greg went to great effort to make sure we had a great experience even though he had been on the water all day. We had many whale sightings as well as other wild life. The boat ride itself around Deer Island and Campebello was special as we knew the area. We enjoyed our romp in the "Old sow" whirlpool. The office is very professionally run by Sandra. The whole experience was well worth the extra cost as nothing can compare with being so close to the water.DO IT!!!

4 Thank mookiecat_11
Cornwall, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great fun and best service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Had a Great time from reception to departure. We were lucky enough to see minke and finback whales. Unfortunately for us it did rain quite a bit but that did not stop our fun. The Captain was so GREAT. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of the trip and will be back next year for another ride on the zodiac. Thank you for all your hard work

2 Thank tercor123
Toronto (GTA)
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great fun and great whale sightings!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was glad that we booked early for a long-weekend 1pm boat trip because it looks like trips ended up being completely sold out. The shop was organized and the customer service was very friendly. Captain Dave was a fun, knowledgeable guide. We went to a place where a large finback had been sighted earlier. We caught fleeting glimpses of him, and tried to anticipate his next moves, but he didn't come above water very often. The water was unusually still and calm, and it really was just like glass, so even just being out there was very cool. We could hear the whale coming up and making noise, but it was hard to get a solid sighting.

After a while of going back and forth, we decided to head to another area where some minkes had been seen. We went at exactly the right time! The porpoises and birds were in a feeding frenzy, which is a big clue that a whale is going to join the party and get an easy lunch. We got to see a lot of action, and we even saw a big lunge-feeding minke whale jump out of the water, spraying herring everywhere. There were multiple whales and it was really amazing to see them.

Captain Dave explained all of this to us, all while describing different birds, whales, fish, and locations. He was fun and friendly, and the boat ride was very safe. I typically don't get sea sick, so I was fine, and nobody on our trip had any problems. I highly recommend this trip!

Tips: The boat trip is 2hrs but they recommend going 30-45 min before, to pay and get suited up, so factor that timing in. There are no bathroom breaks -- definitely don't drink a large coffee beforehand. The flotation suits have pockets where you can keep your phone/camera/etc., and you can leave bulkier items back at the shop. Bring a warm layer just in case, but they will let you know if it's needed or not when you get there. At least one person lost their baseball cap once we got up to high speed, so be mindful of that too. When things sped up, I did take off my eyeglasses so I could hold on to them, just in case. But once you get to the good whale watching spots, things are very calm on the boat.

4 Thank australaura
Toronto, Canada
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Unprofessional customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked 3 spots on the whale watching tour two months ahead of our trip. We got there 20 minutes before the departure and they had already sold one of our seats.

- My first mistake: not to take "Please arrive 45 minutes prior to the departure time to check in and register." seriously.

- My second mistake: not to call and let them know we were on our way.

Still, I am not convinced they did the right thing.

- They had my phone number and could have contacted me. The reception lady, Sandra, claimed that she had tried. I had just one phone call 48 minutes prior to the tour from an Ontario number ( and the person on the other end just hung up). She said my voice mail was full so she couldn't leave a message but it was totally empty. Even if she wasn't able to get a hold of me on her first try, shouldn't have she tried a second time? Let's say they couldn't charge my credit card, then would they just give up the first time?

- They said what they did was their policy. According to the confirmation email, they would charge you fully if you don't cancel 3 hours prior to the tour but I don't recall seeing any hint of losing your spot if you arrive less than 45 minutes before the departure (come on you are going to board a boat not a plane!). Somehow their unwritten "policy" prioritize dropping in over having a two-month old reservation.

- They argued they preferred to have had 2 empty seats rather than 3. I found that reasoning unacceptable as they had my credit card number and could have charged me fully had I not shown up. So why did they care about their empty seats?

Above all the disappointment, I am annoyed Sandra was so defensive and did not admit her fault.

If you decide to choose this company, I recommend you make sure not to leave any excuse for them to ruin part of your trip.

12 Thank L0ve2TravelCanada