“Way overpriced and quite run down and unkempt”

Europa Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 13 Saint Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We were very disappointed with our stay here. The staff was not very friendly and it seemed although they say "pet friendly" they were not thrilled to have us or our pets there. We checked in at a weird restaurant desk and while my dog was sweetly rolling on his back on the cheap indoor outdoor commercial carpet the person checking us in looked none to amused. Then we walk through a "shim sham" of a hotel looking to be in various stages of repair that has not been finished in years. The actual room was nice. The best way to describe it is it had the parts of a Mercedes but the fit and finish of a Hyundai. It looks like someone is a half assed repair man and tries to do things themselves unsuccessfully. Our room had an outdoor deck that was disgusting and unfinished. If you look at the place from the front it seems okay except for the weed bed all along the front and the broken railing you better not grab onto but don't you dare walk anywhere else around the building. Looks like a hoarder of building materials and children's junk decided to just throw things everywhere. The building is in various stages of repair. "Stages" being the operative word. Looks like some of the repairs have been waiting years. It was not what you expect paying in upwards of $150 a night. The person checking us in made sure to tell us the dogs were not allowed on the bed and I can see why. The bed was the nicest part of our whole stay! Overall the Europa Inn needs someone to get in there and finish the work and clean the place up and certainly is trying very hard to be a pricey ritzy Inn but is failing miserably. If you are looking for class and luxury the price tag fits but the experience will leave you feeling like you overpaid for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trudy M

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We had two rooms booked for one night. All was as expected at arrival. One room was a bachelor queen, which has a small kitchen. The other was a more standard queen room. This is a nice place for the price. As others have mentioned the hotel has been recently and slowly renovated. There are certainly a few quirks. There was a missing towel rack in our bathroom but the bathroom was otherwise very nice. The bed was comfortable. The room had plenty of storage space. And having the kitchen would be nice on a longer stay. We also had a very solid dinner at the restaurant. The place feels very new because of the renovations, and if it were not for just a few rough edges I'd rate it even higher.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I think the owners try hard, but.....there were curious discrepancies in the overall appointments of the inn and rooms. The bathroom had a quite modern sink and towel warmer, it was quite lovely, but there weren't any hooks for towels or bathrobes. The finishing molding at the bottom edge of the wall and floor in our room did not meet in a corner...and I could hear other guests sneezing, as the walls were very thin. However, the owner was very nice and the breakfast we had was very good. The dinner menu was meat-centric, so as vegetarians we ate elsewhere. It is in a convenient location. I would consider this a slightly below average inn, mainly because they seemed to take shortcuts in the construction.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mausmith
Reviewed 12 July 2012

First of all it is a family owned and operated Inn and restaurant, not a Hotel. It looked like the Main Desk was still being built near the left side entrance that guests receive a key for (it is locked all the time). We arrived around 1pm and could not find an open entrance, after a few minutes we called the number we made the reservations with and Markus soon opened the door. We booked the Studio Suite rm 101 because it had a balcony, where I could smoke outside, and because it had two rooms. This would allow my wife and I to spend the evenings in a separate room from our adult son who could a watch different TV program. It turned out that the Suite only had one TV, and it was in the living room/kitchen. Both Queen beds were in the bedroom. Due to the free wifi and our son's mac, however, it really didn't matter ,as we all had something to occupy the evening. IThe room has a balcony(smaller than expected) with two fold-up chairs and an umbrella for shade. It sooted my desires quite nicely, as my wife and I had a long and pleasant conversation there enjoying the outside air and privacy. It also had a staircase to the street that made movement to and from much easier. I was surprised that the only a/c was a small window unit in the living room area. I expected that it would not be able to keep the bedroom cool. I set it for max cool all day while we were out, and by the evening, however, it wasn't a problem. We visited Jul 9-11 and the Temp was in the mid 70's. At higher temps this may be a detractor. The beds were very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was in need of some minor towel rack repair, but clean and in good condition. It became obvious that Markus is doing much of the renovation himself, so it is very hard to be upset about one hole in the wall with a man that already had two jobs.

Breakfast is complimentary. What I expected the first morning was to pop downstairs, fill my coffee cup, and take off back upstairs to prep for the day's activities while my wife and son grabbed a couple of bagels, a cup of juice and maybe some fruit. What really happened is that upon entering the restaurant, the waitress asked how many for breakfast an proceeded to guide us to a table. I said it was only breakfast for two and that I just wanted coffee. The waitress selected a table for two and began to drag over a third seat, she was a little confused by me just standing around trying to get my coffee cup filled, so I could go. Within a minute or two Marcus came out with a pot and I was on my with a full cup. Don't expect a fast Breakfast, just a nice one. On the second day we were up sooner and better prepared to take advantage of this luxury.

The staff was exceptionally nice, helpful and eager to please. We were often offerred help without asking for any. A good example:

-On the first night we were scheduled for a late afternoon whale watching tour. Knowing that we would be back late, I asked a waitress for a portable menu so my wife and I could decide if we would be dining at the restaurant the following evening. They didn't have any portable menu's so she removed a menu from one of their menu covers and gave it to me to take. I told her that we would just grab pizza that night. She proceeded to give me directions to the best pizza place in town. About 10 min later, I returned the menu and told her that would be eating there the following night because of the wiener schnitzel. I offered no more information than that. On the second night we showed up around 6pm and met a different waitress. We told her we would like a table for 3. She asked if we had reservations. We said, "no." "Ohhh," she said. She started looking around to figure out if there was something she could do, going over the reservation schedule and asking how many courses we wanted. I was getting really bummed, then the waitress I had asked for the menu the previous day showed up. "Oh, your the guests in room 101, right?", she said including my name. "Yes," I replied. "I made a reservation for you, this way," she said. Then we were treated to a real European 7 course meal. How good is that? Unfortunately and in bad taste on my part, I did not get her name, but if you go to europainn.com she is the lady in the upper middle right of the picture.

I wish I could have stayed much longer!

Room Tip: If I ever go back, I would definitely choose this Inn!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce B
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stay at the Europa Inn every year in early summer and without fail have thoroughly enjoyed our visits and the superb food. Owner Marcus Ritter is a gifted chef. The internal renovation seems to be largely complete and the place is magnificent. The new lobby/reception area is lovely and there is a spa up and running. Suite 101 is beautiful - spacious and comfortable. The Europa offers great value for money, especially considering that it is located in a popular tourist village. The hotel and town are lovely - I heartily recommend a stay there! We are returning for a planned Octoberfest in late September. I can hardly wait!

Room Tip: I always request suite 101.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C_Waldschutz
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We booked a room here instead of the Algonquin becuase we could not get a King bed. The room was small and some lights were burnt out, some holes were patched on the wall, etc - looked well used I guess. The room was bright and fairly clean, the bed was comfortable (soft) and the bedding was nice, crisp, cotton.

There was no obvious way into the inn when we arrived and what seemed like the front door was locked, we ended up calling from our cell phone and someone came down to check us in.

It is very conveniently located - you can walk to any shop or attraction.

The dining was pretty good, other than not everything on the menu was available.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HLOKITY
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Thus is a fabulous inn to stay at. The owner and chef Markus is a wonderful host and a fabulous chef!!! It is a great place for a couple or family.

If you are familiar with Inns in Germany or Austria you will love this European flair in St. Andrews New Brunswick!!!

• Stayed: February 2012