“Building under complete renovation, inside & out.”
Review of Qualicum Beach Inn

Qualicum Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Qualicum Beach
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“Building under complete renovation, inside & out.”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Business is under NEW Management, currently closed for complete renovations. The old business was very tired, My great Aunt and Uncle honeymooned there in the early 1920's so everything was very old and antiquated, food was poor and many local's had stopped going. The new management are connected to a large food chain store and I'm sure it will be well run as it reopens for business.

Room Tip: Business closed for renovations ratings above do not apply.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Solomoncj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed at the Old Dutch Inn in August 2012. There was a group of about 20-25 of us in town to attend a Celebration of Life. I had previously stayed at this hotel in approximately 1986 and I don't think it has changed at all in 26 years. The rooms desperately need to be renovated.

Our first night at the hotel we were unsure of our plans for dinner and decided to try the restaurant on site. We went by at approximately 5pm to see if we could get a table for 10-12 people at some point during the evening. The staff working that night informed us that it was impossible for them to take a table of such size without knowing in advance to arrange a set menu or a menu of three options. We explained that we were a very easy going group, that we would be happy ordering from limited options that the kitchen could provide, and that we were okay dining at anytime. The staff told us that taking our table was not an option. That the kitchen staff were not prepared nor staffed for such a large table and that they were going to be extremely busy that night. Again we tried to explain that we didn't require much. Some would probably only order appies and we weren't concerned if meals arrived at different times. We were there to celebrate a life not be critical of poor service because we were unplanned.

Simply put, the restaurant was not interested in taking our reservation and taking our money. We mentioned that we might just end up showing up in tables of 4 and pushing our tables together. Also to be pro-active, I asked for the restaurant manager to get in touch with me as we were there for one more night and there was the possibility of one large group dinner and two large group breakfasts. The manager NEVER responded to my request.

We left the restaurant flabbergasted. I have worked in Hospitality my entire working life and I have never ever experienced staff who were so unwilling to help their customers especially at a time of grief. We didn't want much, just a place have some food, order some drinks, have conversations, and be a family.

At around 6pm that night I walked by the restaurant on the way to my room and it was empty. At around 7pm I decided to order take out from the restaurant and when I went to pick it up there were two tables occupied. At around 730pm our group left for dinner elsewhere and the restaurant was still nearly empty. Guess they were just too busy to take our table.

Thankfully the morning restaurant staff were more flexible and allowed our larger tables for breakfast. They didn't think twice about moving tables together and serving meals at different times and most of us were arriving for breakfast at different times.

Would I stay at this property again? Never, nor will I recommend it to anyone and I will make sure to tell everyone I can of our poor restaurant experience at this property.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Dana-Rae M
Batu E, Guest Relations Manager at Qualicum Beach Inn, responded to this review, 2 April 2017
Dear draemoo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience via Trip Advisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that approximately 3 years ago, our property have went through extensive renovations, both physically and culturally.

At the Qualicum Beach Inn, we strive to be the most coveted hotel brand. A perfect blend of romance, charm and convenience, our brand is a reflection of the values and character that make Qualicum Beach such a wonderful place to work and live. A major makeover of the previously known ‘Old Dutch Inn’, we now have 32 beautiful outward facing rooms, next to the beachfront and walking distance to the heart of town.

We are here to be a gracious host, offering the ultimate experience for our exceptional guests.

Although that your comments reflect an experience from a service approach which is now enhanced and updated, it still does convey a brand image online. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back to the QBI. If you would be kind enough to reach me at 250-752-6914 or at batu@qualicumbeachinn.com, I would be more than happy to further elaborate and on our promise to our exceptional guests.

We would like to regain your faith in QBI and CView Restaurant & Lounge and hope you take us up on our offer.

Best regards,

Batu
Guest Experience Manager
Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

Previously really enjoyed this place and the food BUT it is now under construction and only open for breakfast and lunch. The chef has moved on till construction is over, we were told, and the line cooks are working the kitchen. We were 3 at our table and only 2 ladies at another table for the whole lunch period. Trucks moving dumpsters blocked the ocean view that was one of the best outside of The Shady Rest restaurant. The seafood chowder was as good as ever and 2 of us started with that. It was worth the $2 upcharge on the daily special but the turkey sandwich was dry and came in a hamburger bun when we were told sourdough bread. 3 rd person ordered eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and the eggs came hard. Waitress was very pleasant and immediately took them back. They were really enjoyed the second time around.
We visit here twice a year and will certainly wait to read new reviews on this site after construction ends and things get back to normal. The new owners are highly regarded in town so I expect it will all return to a great spot. New attached motel is getting a much needed face lift at same time and I suspect that is why they didn't close everything for construction.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Golferboy18
Richmond, BC
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We spent a quiet night and enjoyed the view of the ocean from our room. Lovely spot, great swim in the indoor pool. Will be nice to see this place up dated. New TV's and carpets, furniture in the suites would be nice. Restaurant was closed for dinner due to renos starting so will have to return when all is finished.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jmclees
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We decided to give the Old Dutch Restaurant another try after being disappointed a few years ago.
A group of us had lunch and most tried the 1/2 price appy's. The food quality and presentation were excellent and the service was very good. My wife and I tried the crab cakes ($15), Brie wrapped in philo ($14) & the seafood ceviche ($15). Pictures attached. Like I said they were 1/2 price which made them a very good deal, however I would be hesitant to pay $15 considering the quantity and restaurant surroundings. We sat on the patio and enjoyed the view however the inside decor is a little bland and dark. I'm afraid the Dutch Inn will have to drop their prices a little to compete with the Copper Lounge at Tigh Na Mara.

We certainly will be back very soon to try the regular menu.

Suggestion to the management:

1. Get beer on tap as most of our friends prefer draft beer!
2. Update your menu on the website as the prices and selection are not up to date.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver Island
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Went there for dinner a couple of days ago with my wife and another couple. W got a table by the window, and the view was excellent. When we were given the menus we were told that everything on the left side of the menu (appies and salads) was 1/2 price, and they also had $5 drinks. We decided to give it a try an we ordered a variety of appies including calamari, crab cakes, local scallops. Wow, was the food ever tasty and very well-presented!! True that the portions were not huge, but all in all I though it was an excellent deal: around $66 per couple, which included the drinks and 2-3 appies per person. My favourite one was the local scallops with bacon sauce, something most seafood lovers would truly enjoy. The drinks were mainly cocktails, ranging from Caesars to Margaritas to Mojitos.

All in all, I give the restaurant a clear 5 out of 5. Cannot comment about the inn, as we didn't stay there overnight.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The location was great with good views from the rooms and restaurant. But there was no air conditioning in the room, which faced the afternoon sun so the only way to cool the room was by leaving the door open. The beds were uncomfortable and one of the two lounge chairs needed repairing. The breakfasts were well prepared and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed July 2012
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Shorewater Resort
Shorewater Resort
#3 of 10 in Qualicum Beach

Been to Qualicum Beach Inn? Share your experiences!