“Brilliant Lifeguard”

Riverside Resort & Campground
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Qualicum Beach
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Kudos to the lifeguard on duty today - August 25th afternoon. My kid is a bit of a handful and you managed to deal with him exceptionally well. You kept your cool despite having to speak to him on numerous occasions. I could see that he appreciated your respectful, competent and articulate explanations about the rules of the pool. If only other people he deals with in positions of authority were as courteous, capable and patient as you.
I did notice that you were left on your own when the other lifeguard left for a considerable length of time. You managed very well but with that number of children management need to always have a minimum of 2 lifeguards on duty at all times. Whatever your paying this young man - you should double it - he's terrific. We shall certainly be returning - my son had an excellent time and so did I.

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights in #5 right across from the pool and truly enjoyed it. The townhouse was clean and well equipped, our two kids played at the pool endlessly and the music they played at the pool was fantastic. The big waterslide was a hit! Bring bikes so the kids can ride freely around the grounds. Mini golf was a fun family evening activity too, right on-site. Wifi in the room was perfect. The store on-site served the best ice cream!

Room Tip: right across from the pool is best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brenda300
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Fairly tired older facilities, room was well maintained and clean, previous smokers room, family oriented property. Next to busy highway. Very pricey for amenities but at peak season so I guess you charge what the market will pay

Room Tip: Get a room as distant fron road as possible
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We spent three days there. We had a RV site and one of their two bedroom cabins. It was better than I originally thought it would be but not a 5 star rating. The cabins were very small, hot and dated. You sat outside in a grassy court yard environment looking into all the other cabins and visa versa. No privacy at all to sit out and enjoy some peace and quiet. Not that the place was super noisey, I just like my privacy and not staring into other peoples space. Our campsite was nice and shady so I liked that. It was also more private, as far as RV campsites are.
The two, three complaints I have are, they charge for hot water in the showers in the campsite and the use of the water slide and the mini golf. For the price you pay for the cottages and the RV sites all that should be included. I understand that they open their facility to the public but paying guests should not have to pay. The pool is free but crowded and they play very loud music which you can hear across to the other side. Also it closes really early, 7:30-8pm. So if you want to go in for a later dip to relax after a hot day you're out of luck. There is a river, extremely shallow and rocky. But if you just want to dip your feet in it's all good. It's a good place for kids and families but it's average to poor for couples looking for a quiet get away. I'd go back again for this one decent site but not for anything else. Suggestions are free tokens for the showers and slides and golf for paying guests and air conditioning or at least fans in cabins and put up some privacy fencing for their cabins. Also clean up all that garbage behind the three bedroom and make that into a nice courtyard for the cabins on that side. I hope the resort reads this. Plus they offer free WIFI but it's poor at best so don't bother offering it.

Room Tip: good enough but not great. Not worth what they charge and misleading advertising. I found one girl i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chariotawaits
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Had stayed here 3 times in years past. Called today to make a reservation for next weekend. Miscalculated and had to cancel the reservation only two hours after making it - they're charging me $25.

Big mistake phoning them today. Because of that, the $25 will be the last of my money they'll ever get and I'm telling as many people as possible.

• Stayed: July 2014
13  Thank vanisl_gurl
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I can’t say enough about what a lovely venue Riverside is for a group occasion. 15 years ago my wife and I sponsored a family reunion here and a few weeks ago my daughter was married here. The immaculate cabins surround a large grassy area. Within that is a permanently covered huge barbeque and tables for working and serving or self-serving. There is a tent roof erected on the lawn with seating that more than covered the 46 guests. I run my own business and I honestly don’t understand how they can provide this type of venue and service for the unbelievably low rates we were charged. Riverside, we owe you a big Thank You.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Alanland
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Booked a "studio suite with two queen beds" for three nights. Definitely not a suite, a very old room, no electrical outlet in the bathroom for my wife to use her hair dryer and curling iron (no mirror anywhere else in the room), and long black hairs in one of the beds. We weren't too happy and went to talk with the front desk. Jenna helped us, was very apologetic, and offered to move us into a newly renovated one bedroom cabin equipped with a full kitchen and a large living area. Very nice room. Would definitely not recommend the "studio suite" when for just a few dollars more you can get a very comfortable cabin. Very impressed with the manner in which the resort handled out initial disappointment. Would stay here again - but in a cabin.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rjnjjwa
Paul T, Manager at Riverside Resort & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hello and thanks for staying with us!
Thanks for the comment and thank you for bring this to our attention. It's always a good idea to bring up an issue with the front. We quite often don't know there is a problem until it is too late, so I'm glad to brought this up with our Staff.
Yes it's true. On some sites that particular room is listed as a studio suite, which is not accurate and it should be changed to JUST 'studio'. Our studios are great for guests who are here for one night and do not need cooking options. For price and convenience they are the best deal in Qualicum, as you still get access to our pools and our other resort features.
Like you said, for a few dollars more you can get more space and more cooking options in one of our cabins. So when you come back we will be sure to check you into one of our rooms with a full kitchen (many of which are fully renovated as of this year).
Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards,

#1 of 10 in Qualicum Beach
Sand Pebbles Inn
Sand Pebbles Inn
#9 of 10 in Qualicum Beach

Been to Riverside Resort & Campground? Share your experiences!