“BEST CHINESE FOOD NORTH OF VICTORIA”
Review of Westhill Restaurant - CLOSED

Westhill Restaurant
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I'm a relative newcomer to this area and almost despaired of finding decent Chinese food until I discovered Westhill Restaurant. I only picked up one of their menus while camping at the Coombs Country Campground (another local gem). Wonton soup and egg foo yung are 2 of my favourites and I wasn't disappointed, in fact, I think the egg foo yung is the best I have had outside of Victoria or Vancouver chinatowns. Phone ahead to make sure they are open as they do have strange hours but don't miss a chance to try their food.

1  Thank Schnoodle2

Reviewed 8 December 2013

After reading some more reviews (elsewhere) and the owners' advertising, we expected an interesting fusion of chinese, malaysian, thai and other south asian cuisines. But the menu (and almost all the food) is pure Cantonese and rather boring, though competently prepared. We commented on this as we left; the chef (a Thai lady) explained that they had to "dumb down" the menu (my interpretation of what she said) because Qualicum locals "don't like spicy food" and are confused by exotic dishes. <sigh> This isn't the first promising restaurant in the area to be sabotaged by the clientele.

The service was fine, but we were the only customers -- perhaps because it was early and the roads were a bit icy.

1  Thank JHBrewer
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Great food, great price at this highway-side Chinese restaurant. We loved the Wor Wonton soup that had many extras. This place has somewhat limited availability as it is only open from 4-9pm four days a week (Thurs - Sun).

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The food here is good, I would describe it as truly unique. But they run this restaurant ridiculously for the hours/days of operation and furthermore they take longwinded, inordinately lengthy leaves of absence which leaves their customers utterly in the lurch.

This is so often the case, that I have now totally given up on this restaurant all together.

Don't make plans to dine here unless you're direcly in the geographical area and incidentally driving by as to see if they are actually 'open' for business on said given day.

3  Thank Aficionado D
Reviewed 14 March 2013

A quiet little Chinese restaurant beside Hwy 4 and only open over the weekend. It is small but comfortable.

Food was excellent and unique ...very different presentation than most places. Likely no MSG...very tasty....good portions....lots of extras.

Good for small groups.