“Very dated, peculiar odour”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Albatross Hotel

Albatross Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Gander
St. John's, Canada
“Very dated, peculiar odour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

First time at the Albatross, first I have to say the staff were fantastic! Friendly, knowledgable & very helpful.
The first of many things that I noticed was a lack of electric door (handicap or hands full),
None of the doors I used had electric buttons. Very dated for 2014. Also the ramp going in main door was not smooth so if I were in a wheelchair or pushing a stroller this could be a challenge. The corridor leading to my room had an odd musty smell something between old smoke & locker room. Apparently my corridor & room must have been a smoking area. It wasn't all bad; great location (right next to a Subway) & 2 min walk to Tim's. Ate in the restaurant one time, it was ok.
this 1960's motel needs a facelift and modernization then be all set!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank J P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

There are about 6 hotels in Gander, but the overall quality of the lot is just average. The Albatross is probably the second best choice. The rooms are a decent size, with free WiFi and up-to-date decoration and amenities. The dining room offers a reasonable choice of food, acceptably prepared and served. There is ample parking and easy access to the building. Prices for food and rooms are reasonable. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I have stayed here before and I will stay again .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Upalong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Located right on the highway going through Gander, check-in was quick, and friendly staff. The room was very clean , a little dated, not the most comfortable bed in the world but I did manage to sleep alright each night.
The food at the restaurant was fine, I did not have any issues with the food. Fast service, hot food and freshly made.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Not a bad hotel- but not a place you are going to brag about or race back to. Its functional, clean, but as others have noted the places needs a bit of an update. I passed on the restaurant opting to walk next door to the AW&Rootbeer for dinner/lunch.

Staff was ok- but aren't going to overwhelm you with service. At the end of the day, you are picking this place based on price and the location not because its the nice place with amazing service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Although technically clean and in good repair, the bare and dated room had as much charm as a student dorm. There was also a strong, stale and gross smell that greeted me every time I entered. I’m not sure what to say about breakfast; I ordered the salted cod, and as this was my first time having the dish, I have no frame of reference to judge it with. I personally found it utterly repulsive and could not finish. 6/10

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Miramichi, Nb. Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Hotel was old..but fairly well keep....We checked in & we were told room was ready..No, it wasn't..had not been touched from previous guest....So rather than get upset..we drove up to Twilingate..for rest of afternoon..Certainly worth the drive..
Got settled into the room & then down to Restaurant for dinner...what a big mistake....( we would have had a better meal at the A & W beside us.& we never eat there...we did have breakfast there..next morning...fearing what was in store for us at The Hotel Restaurant ).
It appeared no one at the Restaurant at the time we were there..enjoyed their meals...Almost full plates going back..One gentleman beside us...refused to pay for his meal...( I wish we had done the same..)

I had French Onion Soup....absolutely tasteless..I think the onions had been used for something else & just put in the dishwater broth at the last minute...Pretty much..I can say the same for the Hot Shrimp Spinach Salad...if I hadn't seen the shrimp..I would not have known what I was eating...
My husband had a bad experience as well....He wanted to try something different...Cod Tongues....the worst things ever..we thought maybe that was just how they were supposed to be...jelly like & very greasy..Apparently...when cooked the RIGHT way..they are quite delicious...

I can recommend Hotel...but definitely. NOT THE RESTAURANT..

Room Tip: Handy to the Gander Airport & close to the Aviation Museum...( across the Street ).. Had a fron...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

The hotel is in a great location (right on the highway), and the rooms are perfectly satisfactory. The staff very helpful.

Two things about this stay let it down:-
1) The food in the restaurant, whilst adequate, wasn't brilliant
2) I found somebody else's bottle of meds IN MY BED. I.e. the bed had obviously not been stripped after the last customer, and had just been remade instead. The staff were (quite rightly) mortified, and immediately moved me to a new room and arranged a complimentary breakfast, but to be honest this kind of thing just should not happen, under any circumstances. Definitely makes you wonder how many other rooms this had happened in, as I would never have known were it not for finding those meds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo