I've stayed and eaten at the Sooke four times now. I absolutely love the character and charm of the hotel; the cosy, unique rooms, wood -burning fireplaces, bookshelves everywhere, the art, hot tubs on the balcony and of course the location. However I have been less than impressed at the restaurant, which seems to be resting on its laurels. Perhaps it is the seasons we have been there; early spring and late fall are not the best times for local produces, which is the Sooke's raison d'etre. But for the price and the reputation, I have been less than blown away. In the four times we have eaten the tasting menu there, each time the main course has been chicken. Chicken is NOT the most exciting ingredient for a main course. Is it being served because it is cheap? Have I just been unlucky enough to hit chicken 4 times in a row? I don't know. The dishes themselves have been good; but only adequately so. Frankly I've preferred the meals I've had at the Wickaninnish, and since the food is one of the main reasons to stay at the Sooke, some work is required here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel is located on Southern Vancouver Island overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Olympic Mountains, and has direct beach access to Whiffin Spit on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Our unique 28 rooms feature a selection of fine amenities including spa tubs and steam showers. All of the guest rooms have wood-burning fireplaces and ocean views, with the exception of the very spacious family room which overlooks our garden area. The internationally award-winning fine -dining restaurant serves organic, seasonal, Canadian cuisine, specializing in wild seafood, mushrooms, herbs, and flowers from its organic gardens. We offer meeting facilities, spa services, recreational activities and eco-tourism in pristine wilderness. Whale watching can be enjoyed within walking distance, and on occasion the Orcas swim in front of the hotel! The Sooke Harbour House is a perfect destination for weddings, romantic holidays and an 'any season getaway'. In 2016 all 28 guest rooms were sympathetically renovated with new carpets, beds, luxury linens and 40 inch flat screens with cable tv. In September 2016 we opened our wonderful new Copper Room, featuring a large selection of Island produced craft beers, wines and spirits as well as international favourites. The Copper Room is open from 11:00am to 9:00pm year-round daily, serving a more casual menu of wholesome and hearty foods as an alternative to our fine dining. *** Please note: From 18th October until May 31st our fine-dining restaurant is closed every Tuesday and Wednesday. It is open for dinner Thursday to Monday from 5.30pm to 9.00pm. Throughout the high season the fine dining restaurant is open 7 days a week for dinner. The Copper Room is open daily serving food and beverages making Sooke Harbour House a full service resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sooke Harbour House Hotel Sooke
- Sooke Harbour Hotel
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel Canada - Vancouver Island