“Great character hotel, restaurant resting on its laurels.”

Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sooke
Reviewed 10 December 2007

I've stayed and eaten at the Sooke four times now. I absolutely love the character and charm of the hotel; the cosy, unique rooms, wood -burning fireplaces, bookshelves everywhere, the art, hot tubs on the balcony and of course the location. However I have been less than impressed at the restaurant, which seems to be resting on its laurels. Perhaps it is the seasons we have been there; early spring and late fall are not the best times for local produces, which is the Sooke's raison d'etre. But for the price and the reputation, I have been less than blown away. In the four times we have eaten the tasting menu there, each time the main course has been chicken. Chicken is NOT the most exciting ingredient for a main course. Is it being served because it is cheap? Have I just been unlucky enough to hit chicken 4 times in a row? I don't know. The dishes themselves have been good; but only adequately so. Frankly I've preferred the meals I've had at the Wickaninnish, and since the food is one of the main reasons to stay at the Sooke, some work is required here.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank VancouverJC

Reviewed 5 November 2007

I've seen mixed reviews here so I was a little apprehensive about Sooke Harbour House, but I am so glad I decided to go. This was the most relaxing place I've ever stayed. The rooms are imaginative, spacious, clean, and overlook the ocean (with the exception of one, which is clearly marked as non-ocean-view). The balcony was a wonderful place to relax in the sun and smell the sea, and the fireplace in room was perfect for the chilly evenings. The property is quiet , very comfortable, and filled with wonderful local art, and there are cookie jars at every turn filled with cookies (baked on premises) for guests to munch on. Breakfast and a packed lunch are included in the room rate. Breakfast was amazing both days, and the packed lunch was very creative (although we did not enjoy the vegetable salad for lunch on day 1, the sandwich the next day was very tasty). We didn't try the restaurant for dinner so I can't speak to that. The kitchen always smelled fantastic, and the fresh ingredients in the garden looked wonderful as well.

The location is amazing. Some have complained that it is in a "suburban" neighborhood but I didn't find it to be truly "suburban" in the way I would think of it, and having homes nearby didn't detract from the experience at all. You can walk along the shore and enjoy. The gardens are incredible and the sound of the ocean and a very vocal otter woke us each morning. We spotted a doe and her two fawns each day, usually just a few feet away in the garden. We found the staff to be friendly.

It's pricey, but worth it, and in the off season they have rate deals, which we took advantage of. All in all, a wonderful place to rest and relax.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pika22
Reviewed 2 November 2007

what a great place, like staying at a real friendly art gallery with great food and friendly staff. my wife and i arrived soaking from a week of rainy weather in bc, and though we had prepaid for three nights we just wanted to go home. when my wife informed the staff that we were only stay one night and explained why they immediately upgraded us into an incredible room. the whole inn has a real nice comfortableness that is so authentic and that many inns strive for but sook nails. the food was great , the wine list had an adequate selection of bottles that someone who isnt a hedge fund manager could afford, though like the rest of the fine places we stayed in british colombia and vancouver island, it tended to the strataspheric ally expensive. lots of stuff to do, great hiking and biking on the galloping goose trail. just a great place and a great spot to relax and have fun. big thumbs up.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank tjmiller50
Reviewed 14 September 2007

What a disappointment. We had heard such good things about this hotel and restaurant.The biggest disappointment was the restaurant. Overpriced and at best average food. We were rushed in and out by the staff to allow for the two sittings that they have spaced much too close together. The choices were very limited (only two per course). I felt like we were dining on a low budget cruise ship. The service was almost rude as the staff seemed very indifferent. I understand this used to be a top rated restaurant. Not sure what happened, but don't waste your time driving to Sooke to stay and dine here. The hotel was quaint but getting very outdated. For the price we expected much more.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank HardtopleaseTO
Reviewed 4 September 2007

I spent a night at the Sooke Harbour house after a friends wedding.The area is amazing , views to die for,but the service provided by the hotel lacks alot.The rooms are very expensive and have to paid in full on booking,they have a faded glory about them and are in need of an update. The staff have an attitude of indifference and I felt I should be grateful to be allowed to stay there.The food is good if a little overpriced.I can't see how this hotel is in the top 500 in the world

5  Thank stuis
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I can't say enough good things about our stay at Sooke Harbor House. First, we tried to book a room a bit late, our email sent to book a room was not received - the desk was great and let us know immediately (later that day) when a cancellation was available. We chose this Inn to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It was a great place to do so. The service was incredible (including arranging for the kitchen to make us some sandwiches for lunch when they don't usually serve lunch other than the box lunches that come with the room!). Our room was spacious and comfortable with a wonderful soaking tub and view of the water. We stayed in Room 19, Passion Flower. Now, OK, the "gate" over the bed is a bit over the top and silly, but ah well, I usually don't rate a room on the art work!!
We had a wonderful meal in the restaurant. We have eaten at nice restaurants all around the world. While this restaurant is certainly not inexpensive, I would argue that the quality compares with the best places that I've been, and it presents a value in its class. The service was astute but not overpowering; the sommolier was very perceptive and knowledgeable. The food was tasty, interesting and exciting to eat. That is what I enjoy in a meal.
I can't recommend this place more. For our special occassion, it was nearly flawless.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank Bluette92
Reviewed 15 August 2007

Just returned from a memorable stay in Vancouver with very good friends. The highlight of the visit had to be our trip to Vancouver Island and a stay at the Sooke Harbour Hotel.

Our friends made the arrangements and treated us to one of the best hotel visits we’ve made. The rooms are amazing......truly spectacular views (we stayed in a room with it’s own raised outdoor patio balcony and a view of the sea and herb garden). The rooms and indeed the hotel have been designed to look not like a typical corporate hotel, or luxury chain but rather the type of top end beach house you’ve always dreamed of owning yourself. It really did feel like we were in a Ralph Lauren set or perhaps one of those dream like beach houses you see in American films.

We opted for the tasting menu for our evening meal and we’re treated to seven courses of excellent food. Each dish was thoughtfully put together using local produce and many ingredients direct from the garden. Each course was accompanied by a glass of wine recommended from the extensive wine list.

The amazing owner took time out to come and chat with us and was clearly enthused about the food and the wine. His amazing staff arranged breakfast in our room, a trip on a whale watching expedition where we had a small boat to ourselves and to top it all managed to squeeze us in for an extra nights stay when we decided one night was not enough.

If I won the lottery, this hotel is exactly the sort of place I’d like to own. I would keep it for myself though so don’t risk it, go now. I’m buying a lottery ticket this weekend.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DMPldn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sooke
Olympic Lodge
#1 of 16 in Port Angeles
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 49 in Victoria
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!