“Charming little inn but retaurant not up to prevoious standards”

Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sooke
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I stayed at SHH twice this year, and did enjoy both stays. The place is charming, staff uniformly pleasant and helpful.

However, they haven't been refurbishing and the air of shabby chic is becoming a bit more shabby than chic in the public areas.

The room both visits was excellent - extremely clean and well fitted - the fireplace and outdoor jetted tubs a delight.

Time to lose that dining room carpet, however!

And whereas a few years ago I had some amazing meals here, this time they were not up to that standard in the restaurant.
Clearly the chef has changed, or lost his magic.

Dinners were fine, but nothing to rave about at all. Far better food at the Delta Ocean Pointe in downtown Victoria.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Ottawaguy-TRIP

Reviewed 23 January 2008

Stayed for 2 nights back in 2005. The place is incredible, just like walking into an art gallery.

The locaton is fantastic, the whole atmosphere is very relaxed. The food was fine, but nothing too spectacular.

In total I liked the stay & the very friendly staff.

Stayed: March 2005
Reviewed 10 December 2007

I've stayed and eaten at the Sooke four times now. I absolutely love the character and charm of the hotel; the cosy, unique rooms, wood -burning fireplaces, bookshelves everywhere, the art, hot tubs on the balcony and of course the location. However I have been less than impressed at the restaurant, which seems to be resting on its laurels. Perhaps it is the seasons we have been there; early spring and late fall are not the best times for local produces, which is the Sooke's raison d'etre. But for the price and the reputation, I have been less than blown away. In the four times we have eaten the tasting menu there, each time the main course has been chicken. Chicken is NOT the most exciting ingredient for a main course. Is it being served because it is cheap? Have I just been unlucky enough to hit chicken 4 times in a row? I don't know. The dishes themselves have been good; but only adequately so. Frankly I've preferred the meals I've had at the Wickaninnish, and since the food is one of the main reasons to stay at the Sooke, some work is required here.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank VancouverJC
Reviewed 5 November 2007

I've seen mixed reviews here so I was a little apprehensive about Sooke Harbour House, but I am so glad I decided to go. This was the most relaxing place I've ever stayed. The rooms are imaginative, spacious, clean, and overlook the ocean (with the exception of one, which is clearly marked as non-ocean-view). The balcony was a wonderful place to relax in the sun and smell the sea, and the fireplace in room was perfect for the chilly evenings. The property is quiet , very comfortable, and filled with wonderful local art, and there are cookie jars at every turn filled with cookies (baked on premises) for guests to munch on. Breakfast and a packed lunch are included in the room rate. Breakfast was amazing both days, and the packed lunch was very creative (although we did not enjoy the vegetable salad for lunch on day 1, the sandwich the next day was very tasty). We didn't try the restaurant for dinner so I can't speak to that. The kitchen always smelled fantastic, and the fresh ingredients in the garden looked wonderful as well.

The location is amazing. Some have complained that it is in a "suburban" neighborhood but I didn't find it to be truly "suburban" in the way I would think of it, and having homes nearby didn't detract from the experience at all. You can walk along the shore and enjoy. The gardens are incredible and the sound of the ocean and a very vocal otter woke us each morning. We spotted a doe and her two fawns each day, usually just a few feet away in the garden. We found the staff to be friendly.

It's pricey, but worth it, and in the off season they have rate deals, which we took advantage of. All in all, a wonderful place to rest and relax.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pika22
Reviewed 2 November 2007

what a great place, like staying at a real friendly art gallery with great food and friendly staff. my wife and i arrived soaking from a week of rainy weather in bc, and though we had prepaid for three nights we just wanted to go home. when my wife informed the staff that we were only stay one night and explained why they immediately upgraded us into an incredible room. the whole inn has a real nice comfortableness that is so authentic and that many inns strive for but sook nails. the food was great , the wine list had an adequate selection of bottles that someone who isnt a hedge fund manager could afford, though like the rest of the fine places we stayed in british colombia and vancouver island, it tended to the strataspheric ally expensive. lots of stuff to do, great hiking and biking on the galloping goose trail. just a great place and a great spot to relax and have fun. big thumbs up.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank tjmiller50
Reviewed 14 September 2007

What a disappointment. We had heard such good things about this hotel and restaurant.The biggest disappointment was the restaurant. Overpriced and at best average food. We were rushed in and out by the staff to allow for the two sittings that they have spaced much too close together. The choices were very limited (only two per course). I felt like we were dining on a low budget cruise ship. The service was almost rude as the staff seemed very indifferent. I understand this used to be a top rated restaurant. Not sure what happened, but don't waste your time driving to Sooke to stay and dine here. The hotel was quaint but getting very outdated. For the price we expected much more.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank HardtopleaseTO
Reviewed 4 September 2007

I spent a night at the Sooke Harbour house after a friends wedding.The area is amazing , views to die for,but the service provided by the hotel lacks alot.The rooms are very expensive and have to paid in full on booking,they have a faded glory about them and are in need of an update. The staff have an attitude of indifference and I felt I should be grateful to be allowed to stay there.The food is good if a little overpriced.I can't see how this hotel is in the top 500 in the world

5  Thank stuis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sooke
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
The Fairmont Empress
#20 of 47 in Victoria
Olympic Lodge
#1 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!