My wife and I stayed for 3 nights hoping for rest and relaxation in a beautiful sanctuary. The location and views are spectacular. The decoration throughout --- lobby, dining room, hallways, library, etc. were warm, tasteful and inviting -- casual, but elegant. Our room was cozy and very comfortable. The fireplace (which we used 2 nights in August!) added charm. Our dinner in the dining room was superior --- excellent food, and the service was gracious, personal, and professional. Again, the views from the dining room were spectacular, adding to our dining experience.
2 experiences that limited the overall excellence of our stay: 1) Some of the appointments were sub par. For example, the carpet in our room was tired -- worn and not perfectly clean. The plumbing fixtures (e.g., faucets, shower head, etc) were lower-end Kohler -- they functioned fine, but lacked the elegance expected in a top rated hotel. On the other hand, the art, antiques, and books appointing the room and hallways was charming and tasteful. But the room lacked consistency of high quality appointments.
2) The women at the front desk lacked the welcoming warmth and graciousness that I expected in a boutiques hotel of this standard. There were 4 different front desk people during our stay, and so there was limited continuity and rapport with us as guests.
We enjoyed our stay, and would return for another special occasion. But we were a little disappointed with a few aspects that were sub par and inconsistent with the rest of this "award winning" small hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel is located on Southern Vancouver Island overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Olympic Mountains, and has direct beach access to Whiffin Spit on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Our unique 28 rooms feature a selection of fine amenities including spa tubs and steam showers. All of the guest rooms have wood-burning fireplaces and ocean views, with the exception of the very spacious family room which overlooks our garden area. The internationally award-winning fine -dining restaurant serves organic, seasonal, Canadian cuisine, specializing in wild seafood, mushrooms, herbs, and flowers from its organic gardens. We offer meeting facilities, spa services, recreational activities and eco-tourism in pristine wilderness. Whale watching can be enjoyed within walking distance, and on occasion the Orcas swim in front of the hotel! The Sooke Harbour House is a perfect destination for weddings, romantic holidays and an 'any season getaway'. In 2016 all 28 guest rooms were sympathetically renovated with new carpets, beds, luxury linens and 40 inch flat screens with cable tv. In September 2016 we opened our wonderful new Copper Room, featuring a large selection of Island produced craft beers, wines and spirits as well as international favourites. The Copper Room is open from 11:00am to 9:00pm year-round daily, serving a more casual menu of wholesome and hearty foods as an alternative to our fine dining. *** Please note: From 18th October until May 31st our fine-dining restaurant is closed every Tuesday and Wednesday. It is open for dinner Thursday to Monday from 5.30pm to 9.00pm. Throughout the high season the fine dining restaurant is open 7 days a week for dinner. The Copper Room is open daily serving food and beverages making Sooke Harbour House a full service resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sooke Harbour House Hotel Sooke
- Sooke Harbour Hotel
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel Canada - Vancouver Island