This was our second trip to Sooke Harbour House, traveling with another Texas couple. The rooms are most eclectic and carry a unique theme throughout. We stayed in the "Blue Heron" room and found it clean and comfortable. We even enjoyed a cozy fire in the fireplace on two occasions. Unheard of in August for us Texans! Some negatives about the room include a prominent slant in the ceiling over one side of the bed and the lack of a night stand on the other side of the bed. However, the spectacular views from the many windows in the room outweigh those negatives. On our last stay, we were in the "Kingfisher" room which I would whole-heartedly recommend. But the highlight of our stay remains the food at dinnertime. The menus were all imaginative and creative and used only the freshest produce and ingredients. If you're fortunate enough to have Andrew as your waiter, then you're in for a most enjoyable and entertaining evening. He definitely knows his wine and pairs them perfectly to every course of your meal. He is a delight!
The dining room at Sooke Harbour House is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and the front desk recommended other dining options for one of those nights. The front desk said they would handle and confirm the dinner reservation for us. Imagine our surprise when we arrived at the restaurant and they did not have our reservation AND had no room available to seat us at all. We drove back to Sooke Harbour House and registered our complaint. Another girl at the front desk apologized and hurriedly called another restaurant. We dashed out again only to be disappointed at the very casual and kid-friendly restaurant, complete with Crayola's at each table---the menu consisted mainly of sandwiches and gyros---not what we had in mind and certainly not "wine-pairing worthy."
But as they say, the third time is the charm and we found it on our own at the Best Western Hotel and Restaurant. We highly recommend this restaurant on one of those nights when the dining room is closed at Sooke Harbour House. You will not be disappointed.
The Sooke Harbour House is truly unique and cozy and provides a romantic feel to your stay away from home. Enjoy the views, listen to the sounds of nature and make your own outside dinner reservations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel is located on Southern Vancouver Island overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Olympic Mountains, and has direct beach access to Whiffin Spit on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Our unique 28 rooms feature a selection of fine amenities including spa tubs and steam showers. All of the guest rooms have wood-burning fireplaces and ocean views, with the exception of the very spacious family room which overlooks our garden area. The internationally award-winning fine -dining restaurant serves organic, seasonal, Canadian cuisine, specializing in wild seafood, mushrooms, herbs, and flowers from its organic gardens. We offer meeting facilities, spa services, recreational activities and eco-tourism in pristine wilderness. Whale watching can be enjoyed within walking distance, and on occasion the Orcas swim in front of the hotel! The Sooke Harbour House is a perfect destination for weddings, romantic holidays and an 'any season getaway'. In 2016 all 28 guest rooms were sympatheically renovated with new carpets, beds, luxury linens and 40 inch flat screens with cable tv. In September 2016 we opened our wonderful new Copper Room, featuring a large selection of Island produced craft beers, wines and spirits as well as international favourites. The Copper Room is open from 11:00am to 9:00pm year-round daily, serving a more casual menu of wholesome and hearty foods as an alternative to our fine dining. *** Please note: From 18th October until Spring our fine-dining restaurant is closed every Tuesday and Wednesday. It is open for dinner Thursday to Monday from 5.30pm to 9.00pm. The Copper Room is open daily making Sooke Harbour House a full service resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sooke Harbour House Hotel Sooke
- Sooke Harbour Hotel
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel Canada - Vancouver Island