“They can take a reservation but can't keep it”

Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sooke
Hamilton, Canada
“They can take a reservation but can't keep it”
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

If you book a room here, you know you book a specific room off their website. My wife and I arrived was given a room key and sent up the stairs to the Garden Room. We had booked the Blue Heron room, showed them the booking reply and got a blank look back and she said that room is taken and wasn't available to us. Gave us a poor substitute (Birdwatcher) for our room but it had an ocean view( and two extra beds in a loft?)Carried our bags to the third floor, didn't mention they had an elevator. This room was dated, uncomfortable and cramped and the balcony grubby. Management is not focused on providing guests with an experience to match the price they are asking. They should get out and see what other hotels are doing to improve service.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank B_and_N_1954

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My 91 year old mother and I recently visited Sooke Harbour House to celebrate her birthday. It was a very last minute trip ( I live in LA) and after I made the booking, I decided to go on TripAdvisor and was shocked to see some very negative reviews. What was most disturbing was that every other review seemed very positive and I could not understand how guests could have such differing opinions within a short period of time. Had I read the reviews first, I am not sure I would have made the booking.
Our experience could not have been more positive. Our room was lovely ( The Kingfisher Room ) and was outfitted with its own solarium where we sat each morning and ate our delicious breakfast ( included in your room rate ). We gravitated to it later in the afternoon as the sun shifted round and enjoyed glasses of port ( complimentary and replenished on a daily basis ). The weather was unseasonably chilly and we were able to enjoy the warmth of the fire and the beautiful view. We spent most of our time in our room and could not have been more delighted with its charm and comfort.
All of the staff were wonderful to us, both on the phone and in person. We has decided to dine at Point No Point on the first evening, on the hotel's recommendation. They made the booking for us, confirmed it upon our arrival and we were given a window table. We enjoyed a delicious meal.
On the following evening, we dined at Sooke Harbour House and it was a wonderful culinary experience. We had a beautiful table and truly excellent service. Brian took care of us and we were delighted by his attention and wine expertise. The only down side was that I knew that I could not take advantage of the wine pairings offered...I simply could not drink that much! A remarkable value - I watched and listened to the service at the neighboring table, a couple celebrating an anniversary. The food was outstanding - artfully prepared and presented and although both rooms were entirely full, the service was impeccable. We actually met some of the people we had chatted to at Point No Point who were dining at Sooke Harbour House. We all, including the anniversary couple, enjoyed a very special evening.
I was disturbed enough by the disparity between the reviews that I read on TripAdvisor and our experience, to speak with one of the owners, Frederique Philip. We spoke at some length and I offered to write a review, something that I have never done. I was born in Victoria but had never been to Sooke Harbour House. I am very glad that my mother and I chose to stay at this unique hotel and I will return. As it happens, I spoke with several other guests and we all shared the same opinion that it was a remarkable place and we were all glad to be staying there.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Lake Oswego, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at the Harbor House August 29, 2013. For a hotel and restaurant this expensive, we felt competence was lacking. We had made a prior dinner reservation for the night we were staying. When checking in, the front desk had no record. I did have a confirming email. Next, we wanted to get connected to the internet. The front desk had no clue as to how to do this and finally sent a maintenance man to our room to sort things out. It turns out that each room has it's own router (obscurely named) and password. The connection the front desk said to use was useless. This is not rocket science and the front desk staff needs some basic training on this. I see this as a management failure. We would not stay here again; there are better choices.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard G
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was our second trip to Sooke Harbour House, traveling with another Texas couple. The rooms are most eclectic and carry a unique theme throughout. We stayed in the "Blue Heron" room and found it clean and comfortable. We even enjoyed a cozy fire in the fireplace on two occasions. Unheard of in August for us Texans! Some negatives about the room include a prominent slant in the ceiling over one side of the bed and the lack of a night stand on the other side of the bed. However, the spectacular views from the many windows in the room outweigh those negatives. On our last stay, we were in the "Kingfisher" room which I would whole-heartedly recommend. But the highlight of our stay remains the food at dinnertime. The menus were all imaginative and creative and used only the freshest produce and ingredients. If you're fortunate enough to have Andrew as your waiter, then you're in for a most enjoyable and entertaining evening. He definitely knows his wine and pairs them perfectly to every course of your meal. He is a delight!
The dining room at Sooke Harbour House is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and the front desk recommended other dining options for one of those nights. The front desk said they would handle and confirm the dinner reservation for us. Imagine our surprise when we arrived at the restaurant and they did not have our reservation AND had no room available to seat us at all. We drove back to Sooke Harbour House and registered our complaint. Another girl at the front desk apologized and hurriedly called another restaurant. We dashed out again only to be disappointed at the very casual and kid-friendly restaurant, complete with Crayola's at each table---the menu consisted mainly of sandwiches and gyros---not what we had in mind and certainly not "wine-pairing worthy."
But as they say, the third time is the charm and we found it on our own at the Best Western Hotel and Restaurant. We highly recommend this restaurant on one of those nights when the dining room is closed at Sooke Harbour House. You will not be disappointed.
The Sooke Harbour House is truly unique and cozy and provides a romantic feel to your stay away from home. Enjoy the views, listen to the sounds of nature and make your own outside dinner reservations.

Room Tip: Choose the Kingfisher. Don't stay on the first floor---there's not much of a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kid55
pensacola
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Sooke harbour House in August. We have made the trip there every summer for the past 15 years and would not think of missing the opportunity to dine in the casual but cozy ding room overlooking the Juan de Fuca strait. The food this year was as good as it gets- beautifully presented, delicious and creative. The 2 sommeliers/ waiters were fun and helpful and made us feel very welcomed. We love the chance to try the local wines by the glass , paired to each of the courses.
This year we took a friend to introduce her to the inn. It was fun to see the inn through her new eyes. She loved walking the halls and viewing all the many pieces of art, relaxing in a big soaker tub in front of a wood burning fireplace in her room, and sharing a glass of wine sitting on our deck overloking the water. Our room, The Blue Heron had a panoramic view of the Olympic Peninsula and strait, large outside deck, and also a soaking tub in front of the fireplace. It is definitely one of my favorite rooms of the many we have have enjoyed over the years. Each room has its own personality and decor, but all have a waterview and wood burning fireplace. Over the years we have so many great memories but each was unique, including the delightful friends we have met who also share our affection for such a special place.

2 Thank omakase
Palm Springs
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The location and views are lovely. However, the inn itself is long overdue for not just refreshing but remodeling. We were not able to eat at the restaurant because it was closed the nights we were here, although we had been told it would be open when we booked our room. The staff was curt and invisible most of the time even at the front desk. This place is not worth the trip and certainly not worth the price...very bad value.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
2 Thank MariaJosefina1
seattle
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here 22 years ago for our honeymoon. We enjoyed it then, but can't tell you how much we enjoyed it this time around as well.

Everything was fantastic. The room we booked was wonderful. It had a great bed, wonderful sitting area with bar stocked with tea, coffee, port, fridge,and also a big fireplace. The patio led out to a beautiful view of the water with a private tub and more nice lounge chairs.
We ate dinner two nights and were treated to wonderful food, expertly prepared and kind and accommodating wait staff.

The breakfasts come delivered to your room and the choices are wonderful: house made yogurt granola, breakfasts breads, fruit, soft or hard boiled eggs etc.

The atmosphere is extremely relaxing and I can't think of a better place to come to enjoy a romantic and restorative retreat. We enjoyed the walks on the beach, the fires, sitting in the sun, the great food and the peaceful and very appointed room.

Room Tip: We stayed in the driftwood room - and were very pleased, but all of the rooms face the water, have...
1 Thank Andrea E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sooke
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Hotel Grand Pacific
#14 of 49 in Victoria
The Fairmont Empress
#19 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!