I find many of the below reviews on target. Sooke Harbour House is a magical place, but part of the pleasure of going there is steeping yourself in the beautiful execution of a very particular vision: the place is stamped through and through with the owners' commitments to gardening and to supporting local artists. This means that certain elements can be grating: I wanted to strangle our waiter by the end of our meal for his condescending attitude when I asked for structure and less than 13.5% alcohol in a glass of red wine (neither would have been a problem had he thought to offer one of the Italian or French selections on his wine by the glass list, but he was on a mission to serve what he wanted to serve...). And our crab came out flavourless and overcooked. Yes, breakfast was a sort of hit and miss affair. *BUT* my husband's sablefish was silky and delicious, as were my scallops, the flowers on the salad were tasty and adorable, and, hey, this isn't really Dungeness season anyway.
Plus: the gardens are a marvel: abundant and lush, but also charming, creative, full of those kinds of nooks, artistic touches & trompe l'oeils that make up a true European garden. And the double-duty that almost every wall and surface of the place serves --any avail. space is used to display a vast and eclectic range of works by local artists-- is very impressive, once again calling attention to the commitment of the owners to their community and its working artists.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel is located on Southern Vancouver Island overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Olympic Mountains, and has direct beach access to Whiffin Spit on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Our unique 28 rooms feature a selection of fine amenities including spa tubs and steam showers. All of the guest rooms have wood-burning fireplaces and ocean views, with the exception of the very spacious family room which overlooks our garden area. The internationally award-winning fine -dining restaurant serves organic, seasonal, Canadian cuisine, specializing in wild seafood, mushrooms, herbs, and flowers from its organic gardens. We offer meeting facilities, spa services, recreational activities and eco-tourism in pristine wilderness. Whale watching can be enjoyed within walking distance, and on occasion the Orcas swim in front of the hotel! The Sooke Harbour House is a perfect destination for weddings, romantic holidays and an 'any season getaway'. In 2016 all 28 guest rooms were sympathetically renovated with new carpets, beds, luxury linens and 40 inch flat screens with cable tv. In September 2016 we opened our wonderful new Copper Room, featuring a large selection of Island produced craft beers, wines and spirits as well as international favourites. The Copper Room is open from 11:00am to 9:00pm year-round daily, serving a more casual menu of wholesome and hearty foods as an alternative to our fine dining. *** Please note: From 18th October until May 31st our fine-dining restaurant is closed every Tuesday and Wednesday. It is open for dinner Thursday to Monday from 5.30pm to 9.00pm. Throughout the high season the fine dining restaurant is open 7 days a week for dinner. The Copper Room is open daily serving food and beverages making Sooke Harbour House a full service resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sooke Harbour House Hotel Sooke
- Sooke Harbour Hotel
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel Canada - Vancouver Island