It was our first visit to Sooke Harbour House and a special anniversary. We loved our room, the Mermaid Room, with lots of whimsical touches including a delightful lamp with a mermaid and her fishing rod and a dissolute mermaid in a silver bathtub on the mantlepiece...and a real fireplace - with lots of dry wood - and a lovely view south toward the Olympics.
The best part of the stay for us was having breakfast delivered to our room each morning, a tray laden with fresh juice, a carafe of good coffee, the Harbour House's own yoghurt, granola and a delicious compote of stewed berries. There were soft boiled eggs and a basket of flaky croissants, savoury scones and muffins. With the sun streaming in on a cold winter morning in February, a stack of unread New Yorkers and this repast we enjoyed a long leisurely time.
Because the hotel did not serve lunch on Saturdays and because we were reluctant to abandon this cosy nest we took advantage of the offer of a picnic lunch. It was delicious with sandwiches with home made bread, local greens, tasty cookies and fruit. I had brought my binoculars and walked nearby Whiffen Spit twice a day in spite of a freezing wind off the sea and was rewarded with the sight of a flock of 65 common mergansers, white winged scoters, pacific loons, eared grebes and rock turnstones.
Supper was a small disappointment. Not for the dining room where you could sip a glass of wine in front of a huge fireplace or the service which could not have been more attentive but the meal was just not compatible with our tastes. It was beautiful to look at but save for the soup a disappointment. There was a lot on offer on the menu. Another time I would have the fish or the dungeness crab over the lamb or the pasta. And yes, it was pricey for a three or four course meal. But even that we could have forgiven for a delicious meal.
I would love to return in spring time or summer so as to enjoy the gardens and hot tub on our secluded deck. And yes, to try the dining room again with the short days of winter behind us so we can enjoy a view of the ocean from our table in the evening.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel is located on Southern Vancouver Island overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Olympic Mountains, and has direct beach access to Whiffin Spit on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Our unique 28 rooms feature a selection of fine amenities including spa tubs and steam showers. All of the guest rooms have wood-burning fireplaces and ocean views, with the exception of the very spacious family room which overlooks our garden area. The internationally award-winning fine -dining restaurant serves organic, seasonal, Canadian cuisine, specializing in wild seafood, mushrooms, herbs, and flowers from its organic gardens. We offer meeting facilities, spa services, recreational activities and eco-tourism in pristine wilderness. Whale watching can be enjoyed within walking distance, and on occasion the Orcas swim in front of the hotel! The Sooke Harbour House is a perfect destination for weddings, romantic holidays and an 'any season getaway'. In 2016 all 28 guest rooms were sympathetically renovated with new carpets, beds, luxury linens and 40 inch flat screens with cable tv. In September 2016 we opened our wonderful new Copper Room, featuring a large selection of Island produced craft beers, wines and spirits as well as international favourites. The Copper Room is open from 11:00am to 9:00pm year-round daily, serving a more casual menu of wholesome and hearty foods as an alternative to our fine dining. *** Please note: From 18th October until May 31st our fine-dining restaurant is closed every Tuesday and Wednesday. It is open for dinner Thursday to Monday from 5.30pm to 9.00pm. Throughout the high season the fine dining restaurant is open 7 days a week for dinner. The Copper Room is open daily serving food and beverages making Sooke Harbour House a full service resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sooke Harbour House Hotel Sooke
- Sooke Harbour Hotel
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel Canada - Vancouver Island