“update of SHH”

Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sooke
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have stayed at Sooke Harbour House several times over the last 8 years, and once again recently, so I know the place quite well. This time I noticed two relatively minor changes.....they no longer offer a cooked breakfast, only a continental variety (which is generous and delicious but I would rather have the cooked), and also less variety from night to night on the dinner menu. The latter is a problem for anyone staying there several nights, because there is only limited changes in what's offered. I'm sure this is advantageous for the restaurant, but it's a negative for the customer.

That said, the restaurant is still top-notch in quality, but you do pay for the privilege. And the inn as a whole is still wonderful...comfy yet classy, in a stupendous setting. The place, unfortunately, is for sale by the long-time owners, Sinclair and Frederique, and I fear the new owner might try to change it. "SHH" is close to perfect as it is!

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and very comfortable. I stay in the "Seagull" room, which is som...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank calhounseattle

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was our first time staying at the Sooke Harbour House and I can't wait to go back. Our room was amazing, large comfortable bed, lovely sitting room and extremely large soaker tub. Our balcony overlooked the ocean and across to Washington state and the Olympic mountains. It was a beautiful warm day so we didn't need to light the fire at night. The inn also functions as an art gallery with beautiful painting and artwork adorning most of the wall space in the halls. The inn is very dog friendly, as our pooch found out. A large wicker basket equipped with towels, blankets, food & water dishes, a faux fur sleeping mat and a large yummy treat were waiting for his use. The inn is located right next to the Whiffen Spit, so we spent quite a bit of time walking along there. Having just spent a few busy days in Victoria, we really welcomed and enjoyed the tranquil setting and ambiance of the inn. Dinner in the restaurant was wonderful, as was the breakfast served in our room the next morning. I can't wait to find an occasion to return.

1  Thank Bridget C
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I visited Sooke Harbor House many years ago in 1986, and have been talking about returning ever since. Finally, we were able to schedule a week long vacation in Sooke Harbor, staying again at Sooke Harbor House. I am happy to say that it is just as wonderful now as we remembered it from so long ago. There is magic and serenity there, the beautiful gardens, our lovely room looking out on the water, the comfortable bed, and of course the amazing and delicious food. We were both frazzled from work, but after a week we felt relaxed and refreshed, this is a wonderful place to stay, and this time we won't wait so long to return, we are already planning to be back next summer!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

About 15 years ago, my wife, daughter and I had a fabulous meal at the Sooke Harbour House and we decided to go back and have another great meal and spend our 40th anniversary there. I must say the food was fabulous but the remainder of the property needs some major renovation. We had someone above us and with the wooden floors, it sounded like a heard of elephants and this continued for 3 hours with a couple minutes break only. I called the front desk 3 times and left messages to please ask them to have the folks above us to stop, it was very late and I had to get up at 5:10 am to go fishing. Finally when the front desk did not respond, I got dressed and went up and asked the young man please refrain from jumping on the floor walking incessantly back-and-forth because I was unable to sleep. He seemed dumbfounded but at least he stopped the noise. I also asked for a wake up call at 5:10 AM. The wake up call arrived at 6:10 AM long after I was gone. Thank goodness I set my iPhone. While fishing, they offered us another room which my wife took. She had to pack all our belongings and move them herself, no assistance from the hotel. The breakfast was a fill Route4me with very little quality and options. If the same chef is there, I would recommend dinner but I would not recommend staying on property as a B&B. There are too many other great options in that area.

Room Tip: If you wish to stay there, make sure you at least get a review of the water. Some rooms are blocked...
3  Thank Tom81745
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed for two nights on June1.Quiet paradise was so beautiful. It is a real treasure. Lots to do, lots to see. Food was fabulous and exciting , we have dinner twice with the pairing menu. We are coming back in September for my husband birthday.

2  Thank OplusS
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wonderful meal and pairing - great hosts and scenery. Fabulous 40th Birthday...

We each ordered different things to share with the pairing menu - was definitely enough food, and locally paired wines, made if fabulous!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nosilla22
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights for a winter escape earlier this year. Got lucky with the weather and there was very little rain. Location is in a beautiful part of British Columbia, lots of adventures to be had close to the hotel and from a journey up to Port Renfrew for the day. My check-in was mixed up and was initially introduced to a room different than booked. This was corrected when brought to the desk's attention. Stayed in the spacious King Fisher Room. Nice accents and space to unwind. The fireplace in room was the highlight feature of my stay. Overall the building seemed like it needed some TLC and upkeep - although I am sure that lack of greenery and the harshness of winter highlighted this on the outside, beyond the unique art featured in the hallways it needed some rejuvenation. I did attend this hotel to appreciate it's unique offerings but was underwhelmed. I had dinner twice and from it's reputation had high expectations. The menu both nights was primarily identical, price was very high for product received. Beach, trees, ocean and wind - location of the property supports outdoor experiences, and with it's balconies some more of the outside in. Reviewed bill at check-out and was overcharged, upon reviewing this with the desk it was corrected for my departure. Perhaps experiencing the facility in its Spring and Summer splendour is a different experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evan H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sooke
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
The Fairmont Empress
#21 of 49 in Victoria
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
#2 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!