“The Best Ever!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sooke
Seattle, WA USA
“The Best Ever!!!!”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We stayed three nights in July at Sooke Harbour House in celebration of our 30th wedding Anniversary. It was the best time ever!!!! The location was beautiful! The food was wonderful!! The gardens and artwork were inspiring!!! And not to forget - how awesome our room accommodations were!!! We hope we can return to this "best ever" inn sometime soon!
Would highly recommend it to anyone!!! It was very clean and very comfortable, classy but not too pretentious. So comfortable and inviting and quiet!!! This inn is also a great example of how to operate a sustainable and environmentally sound business. And they bless you with delicious organic and local foods in the most beautiful way!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Courtenay
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I have never written any negative comments about places that I have stayed and I have had many adventures in my life. The only reason I am making any comments is because I think the price of your place is way out of control for what you get. Ya sure the choclates on the pillows is nice but not 1000,00 dollars worth. I was not that impressed maybe because I am spoiled living on Vancouver Island and having access to a cabin on Hornby Island (for free) but when I spend 1000,00 dollars for an experience maybe it should include somthing like whale watching (for free) My husband and I had a massage and I can only say it was the most disappointing massage I have ever had the room was cold and the music was corny and it wasn't relaxing at all as I was freezing. The only thing really imppresive was the dining experience but even then for a place that brags about growing their own food and supporting the community buying locally it sure the heck cost a lot. (wow we got to see a family of otters) I live by a river at home and see all kinds of wildlife. I am truly sorry if this review isn't kind but I have never been sooo disappointed in my life. This was suppose to be my greatest birthday ever I saved up for eight months only to have one of the greatest disappointments of my life. You have probably stopped reading this by now and so what. As I said earlier I have never made comments like this before but my utter let down was just to much.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank poohead29
Vancouver
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We never made it to Sooke Harbour House through no fault of our own. I made reservations months ago for a birthday stay for my husband's special year birthday. Ordered the best room and was planning to order a special meal for his birthday and have all our meals there during our stay. When I called two weeks before to make the special dinner arrangement, I was told that sorry but they decided to close the restaurant for the season. No one bothered to call and let me know of their decision. This unprofessional attitude from a hotel that advertises itself as world class is an outrage! They sure know how to charge but forget about service and the inconvenience caused. I suggest you stay away. You can do a lot better elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank erika180
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Hubby and I enjoyed three days at SHH to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We stayed here for our 10th and 20th as well, after previously just visiting for dinner on an early vacation to BC.

It is hard to believe that the authors of the last couple of reviews before mine stayed and dined in the same place. But I guess each person has their own tastes and needs. For me, this place is magic and I got teary upon leaving because one never knows when one can return.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 26 August 2009

An August dinner visit to the Sooke Harbour House Restaurant left us feeling disappointed. For years we had wanted to dine there whilst visiting southern Vancouver Island. It always seemed to be on the culinary 'must do' lists of a visit to the Victoria region. The reputation of greatness was enhanced by the fact it is difficult to get a good reservation time on a summer weekend. It has to be great, right?

Not so.

We were presented with a set menu, with a couple of selections per course. My salad was mediocre, tossed field greens with a few flower petals and a vinaigrette dressing. Boring and done-to-death everywhere. Thumbs up though for a delightful soup. The main course chicken was overcooked and dry. The vegetarian crepe was very tasty, and almost redeemed the meal. Until the desserts. A strawberry layered cake that was stale with a compote of frozen strawberries, when the berry season was in full swing and fresh fruits of many kinds are plentiful. The chocolate ganache was average at best.

The service was slow and not attentive. We were never asked if we wanted another glass of wine. We were never asked if we enjoyed the meal. No small talk. No enthusiasm.

The meal, with one glass of wine each and tip, came to about $200.

We left not only feeling disappointed, but also ripped off. I could not help but feel the restaurant is trading on past laurels, and being small, that they get enough 'one-timers' to fill the seats, and who cares if most of them never return. We won't.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keskeret
FrederiquePhilip, Co-owner at Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2009
It is always very hard to read negative comments. We bought the Sooke Harbour House thirty years ago and we decided from the start to first grow as much as possible the food needed for our kitchen, then rely on local farmers for what we didn't have. Our philosophy was local, seasonal, and organic from the start. We have received a lot of accolades over the years, have never paid for these. Most of these great rewards were given most of the times by Readers' Polls or travel and food writers that often came without letting us know that they did. We can, of course, have times were things may not be perfect or different from the expectations of our guests! But every day every one of us at Sooke Harbour House tries to do our best. "Not worth the Accolades" review mentioned their disappointment about the set menu. We create every day a new menu reflecting the freshest ingredients we have, The salad while simple is a blend of more than 15 different greens and weeds and 10 or more edible flowers picked that day in our edible gardens. I won't elaborate on some of the other comments but want to mention the one about the dessert. Our pastry chef has been recognized by professionals and by our gourmets and gourmands guests as one of the finest pastry chefs in Canada. Also the mention of frozen strawberries is an insult and how can they taste the frozen part in cooked compote?
About the mention of a non attentive service I can only apologize for the serving staff and make them aware that for these guests they didn't perform well.
I want to thank this reviewer for the comments, I would hope that next time these comments can be given that day to allow us to rectify as much as possible what was wrong and allow these guests to experience the Sooke Harbour House worth of all the accolades.
Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We went to have dinner there at around a quarter to 8pm. We were told there was no availability until 8pm, yet when we walked in there were many free tables. Service was not up to fine dining standards. We waited 15 minutes before the waiter came, we didn't have wine and the wine glasses were not taken away, we poured our own water, they ran out of lemons and bread, and service was so slow. The food tasted horrible, the duck was tough, the tuna was dry. We were also overcharged when the bill came. I was very surprised at how bad things were since it has such terrific reviews. It will definitely be my last time there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank Habs99
toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Lovely place with a great tradition. I have been several times before and loved it. But this time was a disaster. We had a dinner reservation at 8; by 8:30 they decided to create a new table for us as the diners who had "our" table didn't leave till 9. Given that they were a party of 6 with a reservation at 6pm, I think management should have realized they wouldn't be out by 8. We never had a dedicated waiter. People came and went, none of them able to explain the complex food until they made a special trip to the kitchen to talk to the chef. At that point it was too late to prevent us from eating the flowers on our plate. No one served our wine. As we passed it, it spilled on the irregular table surface and broke a plate. The servers did not notice, and when we pointed it out, they did not replace the plate or mop up the mess. They scraped plates at the table and were setting up for breakfast well before we finished our meal. Very off-putting and I won't go again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank katie012
This review is all about service, bad service!
Our dining room servers can do much better and usually do and there are no excuses for such blatant not professional service experienced by this guest! I can only apologize and hope that these guests understand how deeply and personally hurt I am that we didn't give them the best experience we always strive to deliver.

There are some parts of this review that do not even seem to apply to our restaurant... scraping plates, leaving a broken plate and mess on the table ,resetting for breakfast when we do not serve breakfast in the dining room!

I hope that even after this reviewer writes "...I won't go again" that they will give us a second chance . It would have been helpful if we had received a direct input that day, or a letter directly addressed to us the next day! We are always ready to see our errors and we take every opportunity to redeemed ourselves.

Thank you again to allowing me to answer a guest's review.Frederique Philip, Co-owner Sooke Harbour House
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sooke
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 49 in Victoria
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 49 in Victoria
Hotel Grand Pacific
#14 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!