“Ocean Wilderness ...relaxing retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Ocean Wilderness Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Sooke B&B and Inns
victoria bc
“Ocean Wilderness ...relaxing retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

Ocean Wilderness Inn is a superb home away from home. Recently I joined a group of watercolour artists-to-be on a painting instruction weekend ....was thoroughly delighted by the lush surroundings.... it's a veritable garden in the forest ...with a splendid sea view to boot. Although it was a blustery weekend on the wild North Pacific... our charming hosts served a welcoming repast that more than made up for the weather. Breakfasts were truly memorable; comfortable bedrooms were well equipped for a most relaxing stay .The common dining and sitting room are lovely and you were made to feel almost like old friends.I highly recommend this venue for couples or small groups.

- Carol E., Victoria ,BC Nov 12, 08

• Liked — gorgeous surroundings
  • Stayed October 2008
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sidney, BC, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2008

My husband booked a weekend away at the Ocean Wilderness Inn in Sooke, to celebrate my birthday. We had always wanted to explore the beaches and trails in Sooke, and finally we were going! We chose January because of my birthday, but the added benefits were that we got 'low-season' rates, and a quieter holiday (less people on the beaches and roads)! A holiday in January always brightens up the winter!

We had a fabulous large bedroom with a king-size bed and soaker-tub, looking out at the ocean view and garden. The bed was new and very comfortable with a feather comforter. Lori brought coffee to our room in the morning, which was a special treat as we are not morning people, and like to start our day slowly! We relaxed in comfy chairs in our room, gazing out at the gorgeous view. Enroute to the dining room, we meandered through the winter gardens, enjoying the ferns and natural foliage. The dining table faced the ocean views as well, and we enjoyed a hearty, gourmet breakfast. My husband was thankful that the food wasn't fussy and too 'gourmet' and that there was lots! I loved the recipes....very scrumptious and original! After a big breakfast, we were ready to go hiking. We started our outing by going down the 'Canyon Trail' to the private wild beach below. The South views were spectacular and we had clear, sunny weather to boot! (Lori has raincoats available if it does rain and for storm-watching). We followed the beach quite a way, climbing over rocks and logs in spots, until we found a lovely tranquil creek entering the ocean. We later drove to Whiffen Spit (a must-see!) and walked around the spit and enjoyed amazing views. We later walked on the beautiful Galloping Goose Trail. After hiking all day, we returned to Ocean Wilderness and soaked in the garden hot-tub, sipping wine and watching the sunset over the ocean view. We felt very spoiled to be outside in the cozy hot-tub on a winter's eve, enjoying the this tranquil setting! Although a number of restaurants are closed in January, Lori was able to recommended an excellent one for us (The Fuse) to celebrate my birthday. She also had a lovely card and gift waiting for me in the room! The breakfast the following day was just as tasty and satisfying as the day before, and we were not rushed to leave. Lori and Rain took care of our every need and made sure that we had a wonderful winter vacation get-away at this B&B. We would highly recommend the Ocean Wilderness Inn to anyone! Diane & Gerry (Jan/08)

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank TravlinBugToo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2005

I stayed for two nights in this quaint, reasonably priced (low season pricing) inn. There was a nice view of the ocean and I was on the lower floor with a patio out the room's back door. There is a hot tub close by in the yard which is private as it is screened with Japanese style screens. You have to walk a little ways down the hill to the beach, but it is beautiful and secluded!! They deliver coffee to your room at 8:30am and then the country breakfast at 9am is a wonderful, tasty homemade meal not to be missed! They can deliver it to your room if you don't want to eat in the dining area (which has a beautiful ocean view) and you just want to lounge in your room. It is a romantic little place to stay with lots of nice little touches that make it special. The owner and staff are wonderful.

Downsides:
-No screen on the window in the room (maybe they have them on in the summer?).
-It smells 'old' (for lack of a better word) in the living area when you first walk in from outside, but at least my room wasn't too bad and you get used to it quickly. Maybe the resident cat is partly to blame?
-You can hear some noises from the upstairs and a bit from the neighbouring rooms and the hallway, but nothing too bad considering it's an older place (part of it's charm)

• Stayed October 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2005

My family and I stayed three nights at the beautiful Ocean Wilderness Inn. Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. The ocean is only a five minute walk away through a rainforest. The beach on Juan De Fuca was spectacular ! We spotted seals playing in the sun and eagles soaring above the beautiful evergreens. The Olympic mountains were a backdrop for the beautiful water and you could see cruise ships and ocean liners in the distance. We felt like we were at the end of the world! The sunsets were breath-taking!

In the mornings fresh brewed coffee served in silver pots on a silver tray with fresh flowers was delivered to our room. Then shortly thereafter, breakfast was served in the log cabin dining room on elegant china. The food was delicious, a different egg dish every day served with home-made blackberry preserves for the "melt-in-your- mouth" homemade biscuits and cinnamon rolls. Yummy!

Marion (the owner) and Rain( her employee,)were so nice and very accomodating. We would definately recommend Ocean Wilderness Inn to anyone visiting the Sooke, BC area. If we ever return, we'll stay there again!

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Port Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2004

I spent two glorious days at this Bed & Breakfast Ocean Retreat. From the moment I arrived. I was welcomed with open arms from the proprietor Marion and her staff Rain and Willow. They are very down to earth people who are warm, open and great people. The room in which I stayed was on the second floor, with full windows that offered me a panoramic view of the ocean. The room it self is done in a dusty rose, which complimented the antique furniture tastefully. The soaker tub with a view of the ocean was an indulgence in itself. The jauzzi in the japanese gazzebo - I relaxed in the evening, which ended my day perfectly. I was pampered in the spa with a clay facial, massage (unbeilveable), manicure, pedicure and sea weed wrap (they actually gather the sea weed in the morning from the ocean - then they warm it). The coffee served at your door in the morning to the home made breakfast (including organic apple sauce - which at first I did not eat, but then tried - not sweet - just the way I like it. The beach was my special paradise - undisturbed wonder. I walked for miles - running into only one person on the first day. While beachcombing I found treasures of numerous shells, rocks in formations, sedimentary, fossilized rocks (Brachiopods form an ancient and very large group, dating from the Cambrian (550 Mya) to the present. Which was a rare find for any rock lovers to stumble upon. Bring your hikers just in case it is wet weather. This was a calming relaxing holiday. I look forward to returning again. Kim Robin - West Vancouver, BC

6 Thank Happiernowkim58
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2003

Five of my friends and I just returned from 5 days of paradise at Ocean Wilderness in Sooke, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The rooms were simply beautiful and the surroundings were beautiful as well. The beach was just 3 minutes away down a charming path. Breakfasts were fine and the proprieter and her assistant were ever so helpful. I cannot wait to return with my entire family!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member