“Quirky setting and outstanding flavours” 5 of 5 bubbles

Smokin Tuna
Ranked #17 of 50 Restaurants in Sooke
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Lantzville, Canada
“Quirky setting and outstanding flavours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Last weekend my wife and I celebrated our anniversary in Sooke and were looking for a special place for dinner - someplace that was relaxed, quirky and served great food. (Oh, and it had to be on the water.)
In our search we came across the Smokin' Tuna and decided to give it a try.

Well, talk about "hitting it out of the park!"

Quirky? Yup, drive along a tree-lined, winding road; through a recreational trailer court (which felt kind of strange, but Quirky); park on the lawn and walk down the boat ramp and your at Smokin' Tuna - on the bay, overlooking the marina. The setting is fantastic.
Relaxed? Inside is rustic and sparse, just the basics in decor, but fun and relaxed. We were greeted with big, warm smiles and bubbly enthusiasm. It was a chilly night so we opted to sit inside, but the newly built deck, overlooking the marina, looked large, peaceful and inviting. (Definitely where we'll sit next time.)
Great food? Incredible food is more like it! My wife started with the calamari, which was not the usual little rings, but rather tender strips lightly battered and cooked to perfection. This was followed by a main course of Tuna, which again was prepared to perfection. I started with the green salad, which has to be one of the best salads I have ever enjoyed. It was very simple, but the mixture of greens provided an amazing experience with every mouthful - sometimes a bit of heat, sometimes a little lemon, and so on. The raspberry vinaigrette dressing was a perfect balance to the natural flavours of the greens. I followed with the Prime Rib and vegetables which were perfect. We ended with a homemade desert and coffee.

We found the portions to be generous and we left content and happy. The cost was very reasonable at approx. $19 for each main entree.
I have to say that looking at all 27 of our anniversary dinners, Smokin' Tuna definitely ranks right up near the top. We can't wait to go back.

• Visited May 2014

Sooke, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gem on the bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have lived in East Sooke for 10 years and am sorry to say I have wasted a lot of time and money on other establishments. I just spent Mothers Day at "The Tuna". The tuna and the squid appys were to die for. The sausage stuffed chicken and the pork were nothing short of amazing. Our 4 year old loved the chicken soup. Dessert was home made peanut butter ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. The best ice cream I've ever had. This is truly a wonderful place. The view of the bay is beautiful, the service was wonderful. The staff cares about your experience. They took special care of my food allergy and made sure our daughter had everything she needed. If you have not been there you are surely missing out. Definately going back.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jhettstarr
Victoria, Canada
“Perfect end to a hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

So my friend and I finished hiking East Sooke trail (took us 5 hrs) and wanted to finish the day with a beer. We were kind of hungry as well, and she went there before. We ordered the special (spicy panko crusted tuna) and when I debated a beer, and when I settled on a Lucky, the owner backed my choice "well, when in Sooke". Located at the bottom of a trailer park, over viewing the marina, service to boot and a really hippy friendly atmosphere, it was a great time. I bought a painting from a local painter for only 30$ and it's beautiful :)

Visited August 2013
Victoria, B.C.
“Quantity of portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I attended as we had heard good things about this Restaurant. After we found it tucked away out in east Sooke. We where welcomed by a friendly waitress, who took our order and she told we could sit anywhere we wanted. My wife ordered a panini chicken dish, she ended up getting a chicken wrap which was very good. And I ordered clams and sausage mix was very tasty, however it was more like a appetizer size, not a meal size. For dessert we tried a blackberry lemon wafer ice cream sandwich, it was delicious. Service by the two males was average, at it's best. I would recommend it if you don't have a big appetite.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Ogbai
Victoria, Canada
“Hooked on Tuna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Summer is not complete without several visits to Smokin Tuna. Usually we order the signature dish because the panko crusted tuna is just so good, but the most recent visit gave us the opportunity to try panko crusted calamari strips served with a mild curry aoli. Only caveat, there is nothing served with the calamari and a small side salad would have been welcome. Also enjoyed at other visits, the roasted vegetable Panini, the Gold soup (22 carrots!). The house made ice cream sampler was a real treat, fennel, garlic, peanut butter and orange ices were the four choices on this recent visit. We took a friend from Phoenix to share one of our favourite places and she was duly impressed. On a hot summer day their house made lemonade is a good way to cool off while you sit on the patio enjoying the scenery and the thoroughly entertaining seals in the water in front of you.

• Visited August 2013