“Beautiful flowers and wildlife”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Alpen Motel

Alpen Motel
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Radium Hot Springs
Glace Bay, Canada
“Beautiful flowers and wildlife”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Second time staying here about five years apart and will keep returning.
Rooms are nice and clean and the flowers make it beautiful.

Management very considerate a she brought a phone book to help us find a room for the next night in Cranbrook and brought out cushions when we sat on the Adirondack chairs out front.

The only thing we saw the owner fellow chase away was big horn sheep eating the flowers and I can empathize, since a lot of work goes into keeping the grounds beautiful.

The only reason I did not rate it excellent was because nothing is perfect, the showers could be a little gentler.

Free pool passes are great

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lloydminster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel caught our eye as we were driving down the hill towards the town. We decided that if the rooms were as neat and tidy inside as the motel is outside we were in luck. The room was spotless. When we checked in we received passes for the pool and towels to use at the pool. The bed could be updated with something softer but that could be just me. The manager was very helpful when we asked about the local restaurants. If you want a nice, clean place to stay for an excellent price this is it.

Room Tip: The upper floor view is nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Had not stayed here before and found Alpen to be a great little place on the highway.

Clean, convenient and reasonably priced. It was exactly as I expected upon arrival and did not disappoint.

Parking was good and it is convenient to most amenities in Radium.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Needs an upgrade, but I only paid $79 and got 3 pool passes, so what the heck! Motel owners need to think about upgrading their 1970's look.

Spent an hour trying to get the internet to work; no such luck...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Nancy B, Manager at Alpen Motel, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our property. We are aware that the rooms are dated, and have begun to update them, however this will take time to fully achieve. We believe that people will forgive the datedness(?) if we provide a clean and comfortable room, and friendly service. I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties logging onto the internet. Usually this means that we need to reset the modem. We appreciate your feedback.
Coronation
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I have only been to Radium twice, very beautiful place to visit but had an experience that was unsettling that I want to share. I had inadvertantly missed my turn so I pulled throught the Alpen Motel to turn around, management followed me to where I was staying and told me off - he was very upset that I had turned around at his establishment - I apologized many times, advising I was from out of the province, missed my turn - did not mean to upset him etc, etc, and he just carried on - advising I was packing the snow down and to go further up the hill if I had to turn around. So....due to the blantant rudeness shown towards me I will NEVER consider staying at this establishment nor refer anyone else there either.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Laura C
Nancy B, Manager at Alpen Motel, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
I am truly sorry that you had to endure what sounds to me like verbal abuse. This happens to be a pet peeve of my husbands, and you were unfortunate enough to be the recipient of his ire. Many locals use our parking lot to turn around, and often do so at some speed. During the warmer months our dog likes to lay on the pavement and soak up the sun. Sounds like a recipe for disaster doesn't it? I hope that your comments make my husband realize that his actions do have reprecussions. Once again, my deepest apologies for his rude behaviour.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Booked 5 rooms for a family reunion. A perfect and central place to explore all that the area has to offer. The BBQ area and tables were arranged for our party to have a get together dinner which was fabulous. A small park across the street for dog walking, and walking distance to the springs, shopping, restaurants, and some tourist activities. The Alpen is exceptionally clean, and the owners went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

This is a nice clean motel on the main street to the hot springs. The owners are very friendly and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. When we checked in we got 2 passes to the Hot Springs which were well appreciated. The bed was a bit firm but not too bad.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple