“Beautiful view, Good food, rooms need updating!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocky Mountain Springs Lodge and Restaurant

Rocky Mountain Springs Lodge and Restaurant
Olds, Canada
“Beautiful view, Good food, rooms need updating!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife, kids and I stayed here for a weekend getaway to enjoy the hot springs. The staff (man and woman) was kind of quiet and non friendly. I view this place as non child friendly.
The view is beautiful and that is what you pay for. The food is very good but pricey, but free breakfast was very good but small.
The rooms need to be updated, there's no coffee maker in the rooms, crappy art on the walls, and depressing colors. If the staff was more friendly and welcoming, then I may have given a 4/5 rating. I called one week before booking and they said my room would be $99, when I called back to book, he said $109, and when I got there he told me he gave me a deal and I should be happy! But I was not happy.

Room Tip: Top floor is great for the view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jordan F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

One bite of their food, and you will understand why the restaurant is packed! "Come back in half an hour" , he said. We did, it was still packed. "Come back in half an hour" , he said. We did, it was still packed. Join us, said a welcoming couple of strangers, as they invited us to sit at their table with 2 extra chairs, so we did! Wow! Excellent company of strangers, and the most marvelous food ever! No wonder the restaurant is so packed! The couple who manage the restaurant , also manage the hotel. After they are done serving dinners late into the evening, they are up early making everyone breakfast, then cleaning our rooms in the afternoons. They work hard! After my friend and I finished our lovely dinner with "The Beckers" from Southern Alberta and enjoyed hearing their fascinating tales about their travels, as they left the restaurant, I said jokingly, "don't be dining and dashing". A few minutes later the waiter came over and asked if we knew the names of the people who were at our table and what hotel they were staying in. Apparently... They " OVER PAID their bill. Rather than simply pocketing the money, this hard working couple tracked them down to return their money to them. What I saw that day was honesty and intregrity. So what if the rooms have wood paneling that's a little dated and no coffee maker. I will take their intregrity any day, hands down! And the food... I am salivating just thinking about it. And the view, did I mention the view?

Room Tip: We booked with Groupon, I think, and our room came with dinner. The food is so good. I just can...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank TeresaToasty
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I had gone on a motor bike trip from Kelowna to the East Kootenays and had pre-
booked at this lovely hotel. We were most pleasently surprised that our package had included the most delicious 3 course dinner and the most tasty breakfast. The rooms were most comfortable, the view spectacular and the meals were most definitely 5 star! I would not hesitate to recommend the Rocky Mtn Springs Lodge and Restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Liz R
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our second visit to this delightful and charming property. I rate this property as excellent, not because it it is a 4 or 5 star hotel but because of its charm and value received relative to price. Last time, we travelled with another couple and the visit this time was as good as last time except for the fact that the restaurant closed suddenly due to a sudden departure by the chef. We were saving our dinner experience for the second night and lost out on a wonderful dinner because of the restaurant closing. Despite this setback, the owners still prepared breakfast for the guests.

The rooms are a little dated but very clean. The layout is quite nice with the sitting/dining area providing a view of the mountains as well. The sleeping area is partitioned by a wall and so is the bathroom area which is the located near the front door. The private balcony is the best offering a stunning view of the mountains.

The food is excellent and you get a menu selection of hot, freshly prepared items. The Hungarian scrambled eggs are tremendous.

Do not go to this property if you are looking for a flat screen television, room service and updated furnishings. You will thoroughly enjoy this property if you like Old World charm and want a quiet, beautiful setting for rest and relaxation.

The property is located at the top of a hill so some may find it necessary to drive into town as the walk up the hill is a little strenuous but great exercise.

The owners do an excellent job and if you need something, they will try and accommodate you.

I would recommend this property if your expectations are for quaint and charming and appreciating the majestic view you will get here.

Room Tip: All rooms have an excellent view of the mountains but stay on the upper floor to avoid hearing peopl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank starch0ice
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Pros: Nice place to stay. The small hotel size, few rooms and less residents makes it attractive, less noisy and a restful place. The rooms are quiet accommodating in size. Although everything looks & feels old, the places is well maintained and decor is good. The view is stunning & being remote keeps it away from noise.

Cons: Meals & breakfast is good, but the non buffet type breakfast served is small is size. Toast are well served. The rooms dont have coffee maker, nor utelsils for the microwave & fridge equipped in rooms. The breakfast too is served quiet late at 8:30am & there not being many hotels or stores around makes it difficult to purchase food after hours or early morning hours. The $149 per night is too steep...The 50% living social made it very reasonable in cost.

Overall I enjoyed my stay with my family. Both Steven & his wife work very hard to make the stay wonderful.

Room Tip: Upper most floor if no kids, else the lower level is better.All rooms face the mountain side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were looking for a place in Radium to take our out of town family and stumbled upon this gem! We booked their package that included an hour horseback ride, 3 course dinner, breakfast, one night stay AND passes to the Springs. We were blown away by the service, food, rooms and overall experience. The couple that runs the Lodge are pleasant, dedicated and an over all joy to be around. My sister and I, coming from a Polish background, were immediately in love with the wiener schnitzel and purple cabbage - but everything we tried on the menu was fresh, on point and clearly made with love. The breakfast included was not your typical free breakfast from a hotel - it was the best scrambled eggs I've ever had! Not to mention the waffles, crepes and fried eggs cooked INTO the bacon! The rooms were spotless, massive and with an unreal view. We all had our own deck and they were nice enough to put us all next to each other. The beds were comfortable and the style of the rooms played into our surroundings. We've officially found our new favourite vacation spot and can't wait to get back out there before the end of the summer. If you're in Radium, at the very least you NEED to eat here!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have the same awesome view! You're lucky to have any of them.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patricia R
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My boyfriend and I found a deal on Groupon for this hotel and were not sure what to expect, but it was great! The room was really clean (and I'm a detailed oriented neat freak) and spacious. The food was amazing (breakfast was included). We plan to stop in Radium again just to go to the restaurant. The best part was the view. The restaurant and all the rooms have balconies overlooking the valley. We loved it and would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple