“Disgusting behaviour”

Rocky Mountain Springs Lodge and Restaurant
Reviewed 24 August 2014

On Aug 22 while breakfast was underway and a number of guests (with small children) were trying to enjoy breakfast and the glorious view, a loud, aggressive argument in a language I did not understand broke out in the kitchen area. Yelling, apparent swearing and very aggressive sound from a male made me and my partner very uncomfortable. Other quests were not sure what to do. The argument and loud verbal "abuse" continued even after we went back to our rooms (which we continued to hear through closed windows) - the entire episode lasted well over half an hour. We felt this was highly inappropriate for a public area, and we felt this was as near to verbal and physical abuse as I have ever been exposed. We considered calling the police but had no real grounds to do so. We felt very badly for the person who was on the receiving end of this argument.
We will never ever stay there again - we have enjoyed the lodge on a number of occasions in the past.

Room Tip: Get the upper floor.
7  Thank Reinhold W

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Hotel is rather old and dated. Bed was very good the view and the quietness was very good. Rate too high for what you get. Don't expect any extras. Breakfast was a disappointment. Yes you have a choice from a menu and they sound very good. The food tasted good, but the portions are an insult. Bacon and eggs came with two eggs and if lucky five fried potato pieces and not even a half slice of bacon. Coffee was served with only milk no cream. Would stay again if the price was reduced and no breakfast included.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

First off I would like to say koodos to the owners for doing this on your own, but there is no excuse for being unfriendly and walking into your guests room without knocking. Also hotel is rather old and you can tell as the bathroom fixtures and appliances are very outdated. Also the walls are covered by like 20 1991 style cheap framed photos looks like they tried to cover up some up stained wood. When trying to take a shower there is little pressure and hot water cuts out every 5-10 seconds! Only way to avoid this is to turn hot water on and cold completely off, this makes for a scauldingshower. Also do not plan to keep screen door open if you are a non-smoker as the restaurant patio is below all rooms and people are allowed to smoke out there, gross!

1  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have travelled far and near and have never found a place that felt like home. I have brought my family here from the West and cannot wait bring my family
here from the East. Every bite reminded me of my grandmas cooking. Grandmas hugs in every bite. I encourage anyone who appreciates well cooked food to spend time here. Hungarian food is the spice of life. <3 You haven't travelled till you have been here!!!!

Room Tip: 2 private queen beds, if you want a little privacy. You share a bathroom. Every room has AC with a...
2  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed two nights here for a little get away and it was amazing. The view cannot be beat by any other hotel in the area. The rooms are very clean and quaint and the couple who run it are sweet. They also offered a wonderful hot breakfast each morning.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank sunsetlimo
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife, kids and I stayed here for a weekend getaway to enjoy the hot springs. The staff (man and woman) was kind of quiet and non friendly. I view this place as non child friendly.
The view is beautiful and that is what you pay for. The food is very good but pricey, but free breakfast was very good but small.
The rooms need to be updated, there's no coffee maker in the rooms, crappy art on the walls, and depressing colors. If the staff was more friendly and welcoming, then I may have given a 4/5 rating. I called one week before booking and they said my room would be $99, when I called back to book, he said $109, and when I got there he told me he gave me a deal and I should be happy! But I was not happy.

Room Tip: Top floor is great for the view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jordan F
Reviewed 11 July 2014

One bite of their food, and you will understand why the restaurant is packed! "Come back in half an hour" , he said. We did, it was still packed. "Come back in half an hour" , he said. We did, it was still packed. Join us, said a welcoming couple of strangers, as they invited us to sit at their table with 2 extra chairs, so we did! Wow! Excellent company of strangers, and the most marvelous food ever! No wonder the restaurant is so packed! The couple who manage the restaurant , also manage the hotel. After they are done serving dinners late into the evening, they are up early making everyone breakfast, then cleaning our rooms in the afternoons. They work hard! After my friend and I finished our lovely dinner with "The Beckers" from Southern Alberta and enjoyed hearing their fascinating tales about their travels, as they left the restaurant, I said jokingly, "don't be dining and dashing". A few minutes later the waiter came over and asked if we knew the names of the people who were at our table and what hotel they were staying in. Apparently... They " OVER PAID their bill. Rather than simply pocketing the money, this hard working couple tracked them down to return their money to them. What I saw that day was honesty and intregrity. So what if the rooms have wood paneling that's a little dated and no coffee maker. I will take their intregrity any day, hands down! And the food... I am salivating just thinking about it. And the view, did I mention the view?

Room Tip: We booked with Groupon, I think, and our room came with dinner. The food is so good. I just can...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends