“Great Location, but the rooms need some updating”

Canad Inns Portage la Prairie
Winnipeg
“Great Location, but the rooms need some updating”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have always enjoyed staying at a Canad Inns location, including this one. However, the rooms and the carpeting are in need of some upgrading.

The location is excellent, right across the street from the Portage la Prairie Mall and a number of restaurants.

It's also close to the west end of town for easy access to the Trans Canada Highway.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Slubby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is one of.my fave, I have stayed here twice and both times were great. The hotel has a lodge like feel. We had a wonderful Jacuzzi suite with a bigger than king bed. The roof, being interior, was super dark and great for sleeping. The pool and water slide are a lot of fun. The restaurant is decent but the tavern is awesome as is the little bar and vlt down stairs. Staff and very friendly too. In future I would call ahead and see if any junior sports teams or conventions are going on because it can get busy and crowded with kids if you are just looking fora quiet get away.

Room Tip: Get the super king bed!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adriennes s
Manitoba
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel two nights for a conference. Checking in at noon (!) was quick and efficient. The room, although somewhat dated, was quiet and spacious and the bed comfortable. The room only had a shower but that's OK with me. A copy of the Winnipeg Free Press showed up in front of the door daily, another nice touch. Breakfast in the Aalto restaurant in the hotel was good and, from what I could tell others had, plentiful (I am no big eater). The buffet dinner was good and the conference banquet put that of higher priced hotels to shame: the food was very good and the presentation nicely done. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Checkout was equally efficient. One possible downside is that the hotel is not on the Trans Canada Highway that bypasses Portage la Prairie but on the main drag through town close to the western end of the town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My sister and I stayed there for a week in January. The check in went ok. Most of the staff were pleasant. The rooms however were old and in deep need of a complete renovation with exception of the tv. There was frost on the inside of the window.The vanity area was tiny. For 2 women trying to get ready there was no room on the vanity for our stuff and we found we had to pile it up. There is enough room to make a nice sized bathroom with a double sink or at least more counter top. It has potential. It was clean and the pool and hot tub were nice at the end of some very long days. But as is, it is over priced especially since we had just paid $30 less a night in Headingly at a brand new Best Western that included a hot breakfast. It would also be nice to have a weekly rate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Had to make a sudden stop due to vehical trouble, checked us in right away and we jumped in bed and it was fantastic!! So comfy! Kids were snoring and for us just relaxing!

We never got to enjoy the pool because we had to get back on the road. Ate at the restaurant for breakfast and it was good.

Would look forward to booking here for another trip to enjoy more of the hotel!

Room Tip: Great Sleep in Comfy beds!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mrskmehrer
Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Have used CanadInn previously. CanadInn Portage hasn't undergone a lot of upgrades and improvements since it's days as the WestWard Village in, but still offers reasonable accommodations if booked ahead of time. Does offer the advantage of having Alto's Restaurant, Tavern United Lounge, the curling rink, swimming pool area and lots of parking

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Trent W, General Manager at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie, responded to this review, 3 December 2013

Canad Inns purchased the Westward Inn around 10 years ago, I can tell you of of the many upgrades since then, The Tavern United in which use to be the curling club lounge under went a total make over for it to become a fantastic sports bar as it is today. In the rooms we have upgraded the sheets, duvet covers, new flat screen tv's, New tv's in Playmakers lounge, We have added a new banquet hall that holds 500 ppl the largest in Portage. We have added a beer store that is clean and comfortable for any one to purchase beer and coolers. We have repaved most of the parking lot. Those are just a few things listed, but the main thing is the training of your staff, each day we continue to work with them to better team in order to serve the public. Next time by stop by and say hello and i can give you a tour of all the wonderful changes
Ontario
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night. A friend booked the rooms for us, so I hadn't researched before selecting this hotel. Upon check in, I found out that this hotel holds a $200 damage/theft deposit on top of the cost of a double room, which came to $140 per night. I have stayed in MANY hotels and resorts around North America and the Caribbean. I have never destroyed a room, nor have I ever stolen anything. Canad Inns - when you ask me (and everyone else, as per your "Corporate Policy") for a damage deposit before you even know me, you are telling me that you don't trust me to not damage your property or steal from you. This is an insult. I paid it because my friend booked the room. The room (116) was horribly outdated and worn, and didnt smell good (like old cigarette smoke from when smoking was allowed and was never cleaned out). There was nothing in this room even worth the $200 damage deposit and was not what you would expect in rural Manitoba for $140 a night, more like maybe $100 a night. This is a shame, because I recently stayed at a hotel that I believe is owned by the same company and was very pleased with my stay. The amenities were minimal, although there was free wifi. The bed was comfortable. I did not eat here on this visit to Portage la Prairie, but have with a team in the past. I understand that there ARE people in the world who do steal from and damage hotel rooms. I am not one of them.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Trent W, General Manager at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hello Freezing 1

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on your stay with us here at Canad Inns in Portage. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with our credit card policy. I am surprized you have never heard of of this as it is common in most hotels and chains when checking in. Because you never made the reservation yourself i am thinking the person that made the reservation did not pass that info along as we are very upfront about it. Our rates are floating depending on the time of year, occupancy or group you are with. I am sorry you did not get to try the many amenities we have in the hotel like the wi-fi, the pool, gym VLT's, loung, pub and restaurant.. When passing thru next time may i suggest a upgrade to one of the newer suites.

Travellers are raving about these Portage la Prairie hotels