“A diamond in the rough”
Review of Hotel Bernieres

Hotel Bernieres
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Levis
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We happened upon this hotel on our way back from Nova Scotia and were pleased with our find. The hotel is very clean. The staff are friendly.The rooms are spacious. The rooms on the second floor are less money than those on ground level. There is a restaurant that we did not use but will use the next time we stay there. There is a St Hubert Restaurant across the street and a Tim Hortons and Mike's Restaurant just down the road. There is good TV with a mix of French and English channels.The hotel is within walking distance of Chaudiere Falls and is just off the main highway on the south shore.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hank49

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Sure, it is next to the highway 20 but that is part of what makes this hotel work. It is comfortable and convenient. We were in the newest wing with a large bathroom and windows that overlooked a little garden area. The Sports Bar served excellent pizza.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TrinketTravels
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We could not find an available hotel in Quebec city, so we opted for this one in Levis-across the river. This place was a very good choice.
The room was comfortable, quiet and very clean. We ate breakfast and some dinners in the restaurant attached to the hotel. Food and service was very good in the restaurant .
The hotel staff was very helpful with directions.
It was very easy to drive down the highway and take the ferry across to Old Quebec. The ferry ride was great-with views of the Old city.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anniefanny
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were surprised how big and comfortable the room was. We are a family of 5 so the extra area was greatly appreciated. The room was really clean, seemed recently updated, and housekeeping was excellent. One thing that caught my attention was how comfortable the beds were. We visited the restaurant a couple times and both kids and adults liked it a lot. If you are visiting Quebec City and have your own ride this is probably the best deal you can get. Plenty of free parking is always welcome. It's probably 10 to 15 mins away from downtown. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fernandel1
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were going to play golf at La Tempête and we were looking for a hotel not to far from the golf course. We found this one on the internet through Expedia but we dealy directly with them as they were cheaper than Expedia. We were very surprised with this hotel. The place was very clean, the room was spotless, the restaurant is very big and and very popular with the local people. The breakfast was good, the personnel was very friendly. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise L
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Hotel bernieres
We were a party of 18 from Mississauga travelling from ON to Reverie du loop in Quebec on vacation. We decided to stop the night at the Quebec suburb of St Antonin outside Quebec City. I had corresponded by e mail with a gentleman named Mr. Sebastian Rousseau at the Hotel Bernirees. I booked 5 rooms for one night.
After the long drive, we reached the hotel at around 9 pm. It is right off Highway exit # 311. There is a Tim Hortens as you right right from the highway on Rue de l'Arena. There is also a St Hubert restaurant (quebec's version of our Swiss Chalet but better) across the hotel. The check in was smooth and we were given the cards to our room. From what we could make out at night, the hotel was very pisturesque and the reception counter was adjacent to the restaurant which looked very cosy and comfortable. After a long drive and travelling with 8 kids in our group we decided not to go anywhere else but to eat at the restaurant after confirming with the young lady at the reception that the restaurant closes at 11 pm. We drove our cars around the back and each room had its own Parking spot. The rooms had all double beds and was very spacious. The bathrooms were clean and the beds seemed very comfortable. The a/c were working well. We were very pleased.
We freshened up and walked back to the restaurant. As we sat down a waitress came up and asked us the number of our party. After I said 18 she said she will be back in 1/2 minutes. When it became several minutes I looked over to the Reception area and saw the waitress talking to the same young lady at the reception who checked us in. From her colorful body language and her repeated glances towards us, my instincts told me something was wrong. Finally, both the young Reception lady and the waitress show up at our table. When I asked them if there is a problem the Reception lady replies that our waitress cannot do individual orders as this is a big group. Of all my years of eating out at restaurants I had never heard of such a thing ! But having driven for 10 hours, we were hungry and no mood to argue let alone get up and look for another restaurant. I informed the reception lady that we will help ease the waitress's burden and just order 4 large Cheese pizzas and 4 fish and chips and 2 other dishes. So she took our order and we waited for our food. But we could tell the waitress was still very upset dictated by her body language which clearly illustrated that she did not want to serve us. The fish and chips were fine but when we were served the pizza I discovered that it had pepperoni. Now, this warrants an explanation here. We are Muslims and as Muslims we do not eat pork which is absolutely forbidden by our religion. So I went to the waitress and informed her the pizzas had pepperoni when we ordered cheese. At this point the waitress realized she made a mistake but offered no apologies whatsoever. For me this was the final straw. First, she was reluctant to even take our orders, secondly, she displayed bad attitude the entire time she was serving us and now, she made a big mistake with our order but was acting as if it was nothing. Seeing this unprofessional behaviour I spoke to the Reception lady. But to my utter dismay instead of helping is, she sided with the waitress and replied 'well its a mistake, what can she do?' I was even more surprised at the reaction when she followed up by saying 'well, she does not understand English so you cannot blame her and she is at the end of her shift'. Both reasons were very poor as this waitress was well versed in English and customers cannot be 'blamed' if we come at the end of her shift. I was very disappointed with the Reception lady because I felt she could have handled this grievance much better but instead of mitigating the problem she made the cardinal sin of siding with a disgruntled employee in front of hotel guests. Management should never take side of employees who have made a mistake when the guests are standing there in from of you. Further, this Reception lady instead of looking at our large group as a opportunity for business mistook us a liability and burden. They made us feel we were 'disturbing' them by eating at the restaurant. In this age of recessions and economic downturn, there are business shutting down as there are no customers and here is a case of 18 people wanting to eat at your restaurant and you don't want to serve them ! But seeing this was not going anywhere I decided to take this up with a senior manager next morning.
Next morning while checking out I asked if Mr Sebastien Rousseau was around. Luckily for me he was. I explained the entire series of events from last night and he responded by first offering an apology. He thanked me for informing him of what happened and said unless I shared this he would not have known and problems like this would continue to haunt guests. Though I did not ask for it he gave me a monetary discount from my total bill which was much appreciated. His apology would gave been good enough.
He reiterated that the kind of behaviour displayed by the waitress and the Reception lady was unacceptable and he will deal with it. I accepted his apologies and we left.
Though I wanted to give this hotel a low score because our entire stay was ruined by the actions of two employees, I decided that it would be unfair to downgrade an entire establishment because of the actions of a unhappy employee and an inefficient Reception lady. My meeting with Mr Sebastien made my realize that as long they have managers like Mr Sebastien who are there to understand the needs of the customers and effectively try to 'manage ' Damage control, i have decided to rate this place a 4. The location of the hotel, proximity to the highway and entry point to Quebec city and backed by far sighted managers far outweigh the actions of a few inefficient people working there.
Would I recommend this place ? Yes I would.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank CanuckinDhaka
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stay here when driving the Halifax-Toronto route. The room was large, clean and well appointed. I think it is a great value. Very pleased.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business