“Good value for a very comfortable hotel”

Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Gatineau
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed here one night this June on a business trip. The room was large, clean and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable, one of the best I have slept on anywhere. The breakfast is a hot buffet for $15 which was OK, nothing special. The staff was friendly but a bit shorthanded in the dining room. The location was close to downtown Ottawa and a $31 cab ride from the airport. One quirk is that there is no cab stand outside the hotel. So. in the morning the front desk must call a cab for you. This can take 10-15 minutes, so plan accordingly.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan L

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel is very nice, the check in was fast and efficient the whole reception area is very well done. My room was on the penthouse floor and I must say it was spacious and very well laid out. The big failing is the lack of an exec lounge for these rooms, it is a little bonus that you come to expect when going for the more costly rooms. Still all in all a hotel that I would be happy to return to again.

Room Tip: Penthouse floor is the place if you can get it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Crowne Plaza Gatineau is best used by people having meetings in the government office complex down the street.

The hotel is competent and professional, but its not warm and cozy. On the two nights mid-week that I was there it was empty/quiet the first night, but full the second night with people attending a big training session at the government buildings.

Rooms big and modern looking and clean. My biggest gripe was ventilation: the windows dont open and the temperature controls didnt truely work - they only turn the fans on or off without changing the temperature. Also I felt there was no air exchange at all in the bathroom (usually steam from the shower will get sucked out of a vent in the bathroom, but no air was moving there at all so the whole suite got steamy and hotter than i prefer).

Breakfast was $14 for a buffet that was modest, not better than say a free Holiday Inn Express. But it does the job.

The location is super lonely and isolated if you are not attending a meeting at the government complex down the street. Its an easy drive or taxi across the bridge into Ottawa, but the hotel parking appears to be small and outdoor. Certainly there is nothing you can walk too near the hotel at night. Some streets nearby are beat up.

Because this hotel caters to government visitors beware of the rack rate. The regular price of the hotel if there is a meeting going on is too high for what you get. But on the other hand if you use some discounting websites to book a room you can probably get a good deal. Priceline got me my room for about half the rack rate, so it was a fair price for the room.

Its a good competent small business hotel in a boring location. I would stay again for the right price if I had meetings nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stuckathome
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Good day,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is delightful to know that our location suited your meeting needs. I am sorry though for the issues you encountered with the ventilation in your room. Our downtown location offers a great deal of restaurants and pubs at walking distance and, as you mentioned, an easy drive to Ottawa. The underground parking at the hotel caters to our guests coming by car. Our front desk employees are happy to inform our guests and give them directions on where they want to go. We appreciate your feedback and your business and hope we get the chance to host you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Parking is a pain in the neck and expensive- $16/day. Very small underground parking garage. There is no concierge to help with luggage and very few luggage carts. There was never one available when I needed it! So, I carried heavy suitcases, cooler etc. up the stairs myself. Why a cooler? There was an extra fee for a small fridge in the room and I had medication that needed to be refrigerated. The room itself was tried and the bathtub was brown. Not from dirt but the porcelain was brown in colour! Weird! The ice bucket, coffee maker and glasses in the room were dirty. I tried making coffee one morning and the coffee maker didn't work. I also tried blow drying my hair and the hair dryer kept shorting out as if it was getting too hot. The restaurant was a joke! As a vegetarian, I noticed there was nothing on the menu for me. I asked the waiter if there was something else available that was vegetarian. He said "No problem, I will ask the chef". Then he came back to and said "The chef wants to know what you want!". Too expensive at approximately $200/night for this poor quality.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank star4Mississauga
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are sorry that the facilities didn’t meet with your expectations and disappointed that the offer from the restaurant staff to accommodate you seems to have been misunderstood. Your comments will help us improve our offer to you and future guests.

Kind regards, Nathalie, Director of Sales

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We travel to Ottawa for the weekend with our then 4 months old. The staff was very nice and helpful to provide for a crob and all the necessities for our baby. The bedroom was comfortable, clean and had a nice water view. Breakfast buffet had lots of different choices. Will definatly go back there for our next trip. I highly recommend this hotel and it is worth the price!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor for a better view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I and my wife spent one night in this property on our way from Montreal to Toronto in 1st week April 2014. It was a advance reservation.

Location was calm, bit away from the city, nothing much to do around, few eateries nearby unless you walk about 15 mints either directions.

Room was big, clean no fridge or micro. No complementary B/F; self-parking was at underground at $ 16 per day.

We had a exceptionally noisy night due to a party in the room opposite of ours.

According to my personal taste this property could not encourage me returning if we happen to be around again.

But in average our stay was just ok..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear SriLanka2010,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I regret to read that you did not enjoy your time at the hotel and our city. We strive to achieve guest satisfaction, I trust the services you received from our staff was satisfactory . Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Very clean, nice rooms, well-maintained. Saw lots of kids tho coming from pool area. Well located, close to a neat strip of bars with a pretty lively night life. Walking distance to Canadian Museum of Civilization and just over the bridge from Ottawa. Friday night stay was significantly cheaper then Sat. or we would have stayed two nights. Recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after your stay. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to our region and hotel and we hope to have the pleasure of greeting you on your next visit to city.

Kind regards,