“plesant hotel conference stay”

Four Points by Sheraton & Conference Centre Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Gatineau
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“plesant hotel conference stay”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

stayed at this four Point hotel May 29- June 2 2014
clean friendly hotel ,well appointed rooms-double beds ice mashines on every second flour
food ,service was great ,friendly reception
access to convention centre but a bit of a long walk

Room Tip: online prior booking assured fair room rate
Green Features: very busy place ,walking disstance to many landmarks
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton & Conference Centre Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. We loved having you! We hope to see you again in the future. Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We came in at 4:00 and had to wait for our room. I was a little surprised but theses things happen. I advised the reception that we would be in the lobby restaurant...but that did not happen as it was closed. Not much around other than the museum that was closing early as well. Sat in the lobby and waited. Not a great start. No parking available so found adjacent private lot for cheaper (good fortune). The hotel staff were courteous and professional. The rooms were as to be expected for a Four Points, clean and comfortable.
Traveling with kids meant a trip to the pool, and thats what you get, a no frills pool. We did not spend much time there as us was a busy evening.
This was my second stay at this hotel and will probably opt for the Ottawa side next time.
Happy travels.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank CJ P
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Located on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, between two bridges, this hotel has well-appointed rooms, clean and modern. Two comfortable double beds. Free wifi. Reasonably priced. Nice cafe/restaurant in lobby. Paid parking under hotel, cheaper than Montral/NYV,WDC,for example. Friendly front desk staff. Right across street from Canadian Museum of Culture/Civilizations with enclosed IMAX and Children's Museum. One can walk the grounds, its Japanese Garden and Panoramic walkway without needing to pay general admission. We dined in cafetaria (allowed to pass to it without a ticket). Enjoyed the IMAX presentation of D-Day on a rainy day in Ottowa. About a 30 minute walk for healthy person to Parliament HILL and by Rideau Canal. Unsure but I bet there is a public bus that can be taken from outside the hotel across the bridge. Highly recommend this Sheraton!

Room Tip: Become a Starwood Preferred Member and ask for a corner room with a view towards Parliament and the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank QuebecoisFrancophile
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our family had a very nice stay over the Canada Day weekend at this hotel. All the staff were very friendly and accommodating, particularly Maude in the restaurant.

I have a decidedly mixed review of the view from our room. For my wife and I, it was the pits. I was looking of the parking lot, directly under the dumpsters. We got worked up whilst the garbage truck picked up the trash in the morning. We were not very happy... However, for our 2 and 3 year old children, for whom garbage day is the best day of the week, this was heaven in and of itself. Their head the garbage truck, sprang from their beds and starting shrieking at the top of their lungs "Garbage Truck! Mommy, Daddy Garbage Truck!" Then they threw the curtains wide and started jumping up and down on our beds insisting that we could not miss out on the miracle that is garbage day. For the kids, it was the highlight of their trip. If you read this and have no idea what I am talking about, then you likely do not have kids. Given how happy it made them, I am glad we got the room we did. Just wish they picked up an hour later!

One slight criticism: the back of the restaurant needs far better air circulation. In the morning, it was at least 5C hotter than anywhere else. I can just imagine how hot it got in the afternoon.

Room Tip: If your children love garbage trucks, as for room # 211.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. We were shocked that there were no refrigerators in the room nor were there safes. There was a shortage of towels so they were doing their best to round up pool towels for guest rooms. The pool water was murky at best and my kids elected not to have a second swim which is surprising.
The walk across the bridges wasn't to bad but was a bit further then we would have liked. In the future we will stay on the Ontario side, near Byward Market or Parliament as it would be more convenient.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I'd stayed in a few hotels in downtown Ottawa before and always had great experience with all of them. This time, though, I chose this hotel on the other side of the river for the fact that it is close to Palais des congrès where I had to attend a conference, and that the hotel's website boasted "We have 201 guest rooms, all featuring the Four Points by Sheraton Four Comfort Bed™". If you can call a sloppy, run down sofa bed that sinks like a black hole in the middle "Comfort Bed", there's something fundamentally wrong with your interpretation of the word "comfort"!

I've never ever seen or been to a hotel that has no real bed in guest rooms in my life, and it was my misunderstanding that I thought "double sofa bed" meant there'd be a DOUBLE BED AND a sofa bed in the room, and that was why I booked it. For a total of over $180 a night (including taxes), it really feels like a rip off to me. Not only that the bed sinks in the middle, the sofa itself is old and torn, the room walls are paper thin and you could hear people on both sides of the room coughing, sneezing, the elevator doors opening & closing, and the trucks passing by right at dawn! I couldn't get any sleep and felt like a zombie at the conference the next morning!

To top it all off, the alarm clock didn't work (not that it really matters because I didn't get any sleep anyways); there was no hair dryer in the room and I had to go to the front desk to ask for one.

Needless to say, I checked out after one night, found a much better hotel with a much better value for a comparable price. I will not return to this hotel again next time I'm in Ottawa.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank p r
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton & Conference Centre Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear p r,

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding regarding the bed in your room. We have taken strides to better communicate our amenities to future guests. Please feel free to reach out to our General Manager at jtrottier@fourpointsgatineau.com so that we may discuss this issue further. Again, thank you for your feedback. We are genuinely sorry for the confusion and hope that you will give us another try during your next trip. Take care.
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel is nicely located with views on the parliament and river. Ottawa downtown and several attractions are about a 20 minute walk across the bridge. The museum of history and children museum are across the street. Rooms are big, nice and comfortable. Wifi is available for free. Staff are not very friendly and the service is slow. On site parking is available for an extra charge. The pool is quite small and cold-especially for children. There is no SPA. Breakfast was not included, the restaurant in the hotel is quite expensive for an average quality. There aren't many restaurants within a short walking distance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family