“Good price and Nice people”

Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Gatineau
GreenLeadersSilver level
Windsor, Canada
“Good price and Nice people”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Normally I don't write a review when I stay at a hotel and everything goes well. But the more people I told about this hotel the more I thought I should write a review somewhere.

I was travelling with my family and we wanted to see Ottawa and Gatineau in 2 days ( I realize now that was too short of a time) We decided to stay at the Best Western becausue it was close to downtown Ottawa, the room and parking prices were good (compared to the CRAZY prices in Ottawa) and we could visit Gatineau and Ottawa at the same time. It turned out to be quite a nice little hotel. Yes, it needs a facelift in the front of the hotel but the view from our room of the city was so nice.. The rooms were a good size and the beds were comfy... For the price we paid it was excellent accomodations. The pool is a good size and I appreciated that they had a lifeguard on duty showing that they care about the safety of their guests. My husband used the workout facilities and said the equipment was extremely well maintained, the workout room was very clean, there were towels for him to use and a TV to watch.. All in all exactly what he needed (he will stay at this hotel on his next business trip to Ottawa).

The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. They gave us brochures about things to visit in their tourist area and also directed us to the tourism office to search out coupons for activities in the area. The hotel is very kids friendly. The restaurant while small was very welcoming and the food was great.. I had the manicotti, YUMMY..

I have to say that after reading other posts about this hotel I was unsure of what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a glitzy hotel, but it fulfilled all of my BW requirements, friendly, affordable, clean, well maintained and easy access to most events..

I would reccomend this hotel to a family travelling on a budget..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Travellingonadime,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. It is comments such as yours that motivate us to continually improve upon our products and services. It was most gratifying to learn that our continual investment into training as well as the strong emphasis put on overall hotel and in-room cleanliness has not gone un-noticed. Good News! We are pleased to announce that we are now in the planning stages of our next hotel project; our focus is on a more modern look for the hotel’s facade. Our goal is to give our clients the best experience possible from; the curb, to the room, public areas, and until they check out.

Once again thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, we sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.

Martin Fogarty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This hotel isn't exactly a complete let-down, but there's sufficient negatives to make it a no-go kind of placer.
The positives: Parking ain't expensive (you pay, but it could be dearer), wifi actually works in the rooms and it's free. Staff at the reception and restaurant are very friendly and helpful. That's where the positives end.
The hotel is well past its use-by date. They've old-fashioned TVs (our remote barely worked), for some bizarre reason a white-goods plastic fridge squeezed among the furniture (presumably worth one of the 4***? :-), the worst coffee I ever tasted in a hotel room, black hair in the bed (that wasn't mine!), goo on the pillow (house keeping does a lousy job in that place!). Our room was on the back of the hotel, a view like from a disaster movie, early am construction noise, couldn't open windows, the 100 year old aircon unit made terrible noise, the kingsize bed was sufficiently short that my feet kept hanging out of the bed because it was so incredibly short. My baseline, if this hotel would market itself as a 2.5 star kinda place and reduced its price by about 1/3, I'd probably have expected something like what I got. The thing is, they're billing themselves as a 4*** property, with a price tag to match (there were not even cups to hold toothbrushes etc, in the bathroom!) . That's offensively overpriced, to say the least. - I agree with the scepticism about some of the positive comments posted about this hotel (particularly those from folks who posted only that one commentary and were never before or after to be seen)...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 19 July 2011

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we appreciate the time and energy it takes to write comments after your stay. One of our greatest priorities is to offer clean and comfortable accommodations to our guests with speedy and friendly service. Without the help of our guests leaving comments and letting us know what improvements are needed we would never be able to achieve our goal. I have personally passed your concerns about the in room issues to our housekeeping team and will be following up. We value all comments from our travelers, I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. My team and I hope that we can have a second chance at a first impression, if your travels bring you back to the National Capital region.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Gatineau-Ottawa
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2010

This hotel was a great value for your dollar. It wasnt a high end hotel but it had everything we needed for our stay. Plus we had a fabulous view of parliament from our balcony. And it was a very quick walk across the Alexandria Bridge to get to Ottawa and parliament.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 19 October 2010
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post a review on our hotel. We sincerely Thank you for choosing the Best Western Cartier hotel and look forward to your next stay with us when your travels bring you back to the national capital region.

Milpitas, California
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We have stayed in multiple places for our 10 days trip to Toronto, Montreal, Quebec and Ottawa. All cost about $120 per night and they all fabulous except this BW Cartier.

First off it's river view is nice and as expected, the take is the balcony sucks and there are two spiders about the size of a quarter hanging from the ceiling. That scared mr to run right back into the room and shut the door. Btw the balcony double door also sucks, one stuck and one need extra force to shut tight. The balcony is totally outdated as well.

Inside the room, this is also spider web hanging in one corner.  Other part of the room is ok clean. Can't tell if the carpet us clean since it's in dark blue. Due to the spider and web, can't give me a warm feeling it is clean. The A/C was not plugged in when we entered the room.  Also its filter was lying on the floor and it is dirty. Didn't bother to fix it or call the attendance for that since don't want to cause the dust to fly everywhere.  Bathroom partially upgraded, e.g. Shower curtain, counter.

Front parking is tight and there is a ramp in the side I bet you can't make it through because it is so steep. Only if you are driving a car with high clearance like suv. Cost for parking Is $8 per night. With the way parking it should be no charge.

Overall, it is max a 1 star with the cost per night and spider or a 2.5 star if cost $60 per night. Definitely need renovation. Don't understand how other folks give 5 stars here and say loving it.

• Stayed September 2010

I thank you for your review, I can empathize with your feelings on this subject very well, and can only apologize for the unpleasant situation you experienced. Offering value and providing clean and comfortable accommodations to our guest comfort are our greatest priorities. We sincerely value the comments of all our travelers; in fact based on your comment several changes are immediately forthcoming to improve the hotel and it’s services.
I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations, should your travels brings you back to the National Capital region, We would be pleased to assist you in any way possible.

Martin Fogarty

Travellers are raving about these Gatineau hotels

Thunder Bay
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We stayed at the Cartier for part business part leisure. We checked in, and while asking the front desk about the open top bus tour- they seemed really unsure as to what the details were (even though there was a large sign displaying that you could buy tickets at the front desk). Housekeeping clearly didn't care much, as there were dishes in the hallway for 3 of the 4 nights that we stayed there- they often had their carts parked right beside these dishes, but never bothered picking them up. One of the servers in the restaurant added their own tip on our bill (which we weren't aware of until we checked out). I called front desk 3 times one night for an extra blanket, and never received it. There was a huge music/festival thing going on across from the hotel in the park. When I called front desk about the EXTREMELY loud music, they offered no help and no information, all they said was "there is nothing we can do, it's not coming from the hotel." Understandable, however; it would have made me change my mind about their customer service level if THEY had found out some information as to what it was and when it would be ending, instead of making us walk down there to figure out when we could actually get some sleep.

The pool: hours are laughable, and quite awkward. I went down to the pool solo one evening and found it uncomfortable how the pool attendant just sits on one of the poolside guest chairs, staring at you, doing nothing else, while you do laps. It's a VERY small room. You will see what I mean if you go for a solo swim in the quiet pool area.

The room was decent. I don't expect much really. Everything worked, which was good. The cleanliness of the room is not immaculate. The t.v. remote was disgusting (but I prepare myself and bring plastic baggies when hotels don't have the new clean/sanitary remotes). The corners of the bathroom and vents were filthy, and the hair dryer made me gag when I had to use it.

If you're not into frills and thrills, this hotel will do. It's located near the foot of the bridge that brings you right into the markets in Ottawa. Nice walk along that bridge... Lot's of places to eat on the other side. Good thing too, because THEIR restaurant has maybe 5 dinner options (I ordered from the children's menu one of the evenings).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
USA
Reviewed 3 September 2010

This hotel is run down and in a run down area. The only saving grace is it is near the Museum of Civilazation, and you can walk across the bridge to Parliament Hills.

I read back comments for the last several years, and inspite of all those recent management comments of improving, and several recent "fake" comments from "friends" of the hotel, this hotel is still the same old crap, I feel. This hotel seriously need total make-over. The lobby is run down, the swimming pool looks very dirty. There is only one computer in the lobby and often occupied. Although there is supposed to be wifi in the room, I had to get a password from the front desk and the speed was way slow. The carpet in the room looks dirty, my bed has a deep depression in the middle and my back started hurt after two nights. The parking on-site was limited, and the parking lot on the next block was gravel and dark. The area around the hotel did not seem safe enough for me to walk around at night at all.

Ottawa is a nice city and I will visit again, and I will probably stay at other hotels next time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We have had to stay in this area several times in the past 6 months and have tried many hotels. The search for a place we'd like to stay again is over! We loved this hotel, the location, the room was clean and the breakfast is awesome! Best value by far compared to the other hotels we've stayed in. We'll be back for sure!‎

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post a review on our hotel. It is comments such as yours that motivate us to continually improve upon our products and services. It was most gratifying to learn that our continual investments into training as well as the strong emphasis put on overall hotel and in-room cleanliness have not gone un-noticed. Once again Thank you for choosing the Best Western Cartier hotel, we sincerely look forward to your next stay with us when your travels bring you back to the national capital region.

Martin Fogarty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatineau
Four Points by Sheraton & Conference Centre Gatineau-Ottawa
Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa
Lord Elgin
Lord Elgin
#5 of 67 in Ottawa

Been to Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa? Share your experiences!