“Good stopover”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good stopover”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We chose this hotel for a one night stop over as we had to return our car to downtown Ottawa in the morning. We made a good choice. the room had everything we needed. We ate both our evening meal and breakfast in the restaurant and were pleased with the food and service. Our room was clean and well equipped. We did have a view looking over the back streets but as we were there only one night that was no bother. its a good location, very close to the river and the fantastic Museum of Civilisation. A walk over the bridge takes you to the centre of Ottawa.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I booked on Bestwestern.com. I am a Platinum Elite member. Not new to travel. My rate was for a three night promotion. I changed to two nights at check in (after some change in travel logistics). I did not choose advance pay and did change within the cancel period. I did change type of room. I had been up for 24 hours and travelling for 12. After check in (which was a good wait of ~30 min) I was told to wait at side to see if my room was ready. I waited... and waited. Finally, I said I couldn't wait any longer and I really needed to go eat. I asked if I could leave my luggage and the girl said yes. Then she got a call that my room was almost ready and told me I could take my luggage up (9th floor) and leave. By that time I really couldn't go up and back down, I insisted I leave there. She was helping others still, whom commented on me waiting so long, and then finally grabbed my luggage and wisked away. (I had thought this process was only 40 min., but realized later my GPS and car renytal clocks were off, so it was actually ~50 min.). Upon return, room was nice, but really needed a good vacumm. I decided I didn't fell confortable there and would check out in morning.

In morning, I really just wanted to leave (didn't even stay to shower). I asked to check out but was told I could not. If I did, I had to pay for two nights as agreed. I did explain that their rate on the web is same for 1, 2 and three nights (I checked). However... THEY consider Bestwestern.com like Expedia, it is a third party, AND the rate IS NOT the same (I was told this several times, and even printed out and gave to them while there). I asked THEIR one night rate, and agreed I could pay that. Still NO. I asked to speak to the manager, and the gentleman told me is was she who walked by and told him what to do. I tried to call Best Western Customer Care while there, but they were closed. So... with the very rude/mean gentleman telling me I was wrong, wrong, wrong (I am a Director at a BioTech corporation) I checked out.

I have no faith in Best Western since later, I called customer care and the person at headquarters just wanted their reservation "codes". I did not think to keep. He did call the hotel, but still got same line, and gave me same.

So... if you want to protect yourself, you need to choose a hotel chain that has some fair rules (and/or read reviews before on this website). This place is a real sad reflection on all those great hotels where people work together and like their jobs.

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Clare G

Travellers are raving about these Gatineau hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Upon arrival, the reception staff showed no sign of greeting me and let me stand at the desk for a few minutes before attending me while she was complete bookings from printouts. I thought this could have waited and be done when no clients were waiting!

Later on, the reception manager Roxanne was the most helpful in facilitating my stay and poining places of interests, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Port Moresby
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I have never, in 50 years of travels and hotels all over the world, been so disappointed and angry as I am over our recent stay at your Best Western Plus hotel on Laurier St. in Gatineau, QC.

The circumstances surrounding our booking were devastating – my mother was dying and my daughter was booking by phone on Sat. June 4th with your reservation services for all Best Western Hotels. They were kind and helpful. My mother died June 5th and my daughter called back and booked firm dates as everyone was arriving to join me in Ottawa on June 6th.

We were booking three rooms, one for my husband and I, one for my daughter and her children ages 5 and 7, who flew in from Nova Scotia and one for my other daughter and her husband who arranged the bookings Your files have her name spelled as Cathleen and the first reservation was # 495597868. One of our daughters works for the Government and at this point does not plan on ever booking with Best Western again.

In the end our total bill for 3 nights totaled just over $2,100. I personally covered the price of all three rooms. It took 45 minutes to check in because what rooms were available were not what had been booked. Then it took me 45 minutes of frustration to check out the morning of my mother’s funeral, I was on the verge of tears the whole time. The hotel rates they said, change every night (we were told this was normal) and promised rooms were not available. As we were all checking out and leaving for the funeral, the two front desk staff handed me two revised bills with a rebate of just over $100 (on a bill of $2100) for our troubles. It wasn’t even clear what the rebate was for. It certainly wasn’t compensation for what we had been through in your hotel. Our stay had been dreadful, for a number of reasons.

Our daughter with children had the Executive suite booked at a promised $189 per night– there was only one and we discovered it had been given to someone who booked directly with the hotel and paid in advance. They didn’t care what had been booked with your central booking office. Our daughter and children were put in a temporary room for the first night after being first assigned to a floor where there were 3 school groups, shouting and screaming in the hallways. Their accompanying adult told my daughter to get her room changed because she would not want to be on the same floor.

As it turned out there were screaming school groups on every floor all three nights. This included my grandchildren being awakened after 11PM and before 7AM. Calls to the front desk didn’t help. All of us on different floors were out in the halls every night asking for silence. Our eldest daughter who did the bookings was not given the room she had been promised either. In addition, her coffee machine had used coffee grounds in it. Our coffee machine just plain didn’t work. It was replaced the next day with one that had so much dust on it I could only imagine what the insides were like.

The back street that all our rooms looked out onto was under massive construction, which started at 7AM every morning and woke us and the noise continued all day till 5PM. We had constant noise day and night between the outside and the inside disturbances. My eldest daughter and her husband had an air conditioner that was noisier than the street construction.

Upon checking out I discovered that our room prices were different for every night in spite of what we had been quoted. There was no concession for the trouble and inconvenience of having to hike through water and mud to the auxiliary parking lot as the hotel one was full. The senior discount applied to one night only. I understand that there was some sort of Air Miles or airline travel rewards but none was offered to us and with a $2000+ bill it would have been welcome.

Hotel service was dreadful. It took two days before an English speaking female staff member helped me retrieve my room voice mail. All telephone instructions were in French only. The French speaking front desk staff couldn’t work it out the day before. The front desk staff couldn’t even tell us if there was a left turn allowed at the corner to cross the bridge over to Ottawa. When dealing with tourists some basic knowledge is expected.

We ate in the hotel restaurant the first night and although there were only two other people there we had to wait 45 minutes for our meal. It has truly been a horrific experience and before I say that none of us will EVER stay in a Best Western Hotel again anywhere, I would like to give you the opportunity to offer us some type of rebate.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JudithPortMoresby
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear JudithPortMoresby,

Let me start this letter by saying my heart goes out to you for the loss of your mother. Losing a parent is extremely difficult and heart breaking.

I truly regret the service that was provided to you during your stay did not demonstrate the true quality of the Best Western Gatineau. I understand your disappointment and apologize for the inexcusable inconvenience this caused you in such a difficult time. Booking and staying at our hotel should have been a luxury for you and your family.

Thank you for opening up the communication lines by saying that you would like to give us the chance to discuss your stay. Please contact me personally at 819 770 8550 ext 4452, I would be very appreciative if you would allow me to investigate the circumstances around your stay and those of your family.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I am writing this review while still here at this hotel. Our decision was based on economy and location as well as the positive reviews we read on line. In a word... Terrible.
The rooms are marginally clean. The beds (yes, we were in three) were all gritty. The bathrooms seemed clean but there were things in them you would have expected housekeeping to watch for. These ranged from clumps of hair. To toothpicks on the vanity. The first room was just over. All dirty and smelled funky. The second room was right next to the laundry shoot and it was used from 8 am on. That and housekeeping didn't believe the "do not disturb" sign on the door and banged repeatedly at 815 am to make sure we didn't
want to be disturbed.. The third (and thankfully the last as we a leaving tomorrow) now has a screaming child next door. The staff would love to help but can't as the hotel is completely sold out. I don't it. Hotwire labeled this as a three star. It BARELY scratches two. If you need a place to stay as a last resort and you have exhausted all options (including the YMCA) stay here.
If you are in a pinch w

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darius A
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Darius A,

Thank you for your comments, I sincerely regret that the service and accommodation provided during your stay with us did not demonstrate the true quality of the Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa. We value all comments from our travelers. I understand your disappointment and sincerely apologize for the inexcusable inconvenience you experienced while staying at our hotel. In order to resolve the expressed issues I would like to investigate further if you could please contact us with your name, dates of your stay and your room number, via email at gm@bwgatineau.ca or phone at 819 770 8550.

Thank you again for your valuable comments. The Best Western Gatineau Plus Gatineau-Ottawa has been completely sold out for the last week, however, there is no excuse for our guests to have a less than excellent experience.

My team and I thrive on customer service, if you are planning on returning to the Capital Region please feel free to contact me directly so that I can ensure you next experience with Best Western exceeds your expectations.

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Normally I don't write a review when I stay at a hotel and everything goes well. But the more people I told about this hotel the more I thought I should write a review somewhere.

I was travelling with my family and we wanted to see Ottawa and Gatineau in 2 days ( I realize now that was too short of a time) We decided to stay at the Best Western becausue it was close to downtown Ottawa, the room and parking prices were good (compared to the CRAZY prices in Ottawa) and we could visit Gatineau and Ottawa at the same time. It turned out to be quite a nice little hotel. Yes, it needs a facelift in the front of the hotel but the view from our room of the city was so nice.. The rooms were a good size and the beds were comfy... For the price we paid it was excellent accomodations. The pool is a good size and I appreciated that they had a lifeguard on duty showing that they care about the safety of their guests. My husband used the workout facilities and said the equipment was extremely well maintained, the workout room was very clean, there were towels for him to use and a TV to watch.. All in all exactly what he needed (he will stay at this hotel on his next business trip to Ottawa).

The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. They gave us brochures about things to visit in their tourist area and also directed us to the tourism office to search out coupons for activities in the area. The hotel is very kids friendly. The restaurant while small was very welcoming and the food was great.. I had the manicotti, YUMMY..

I have to say that after reading other posts about this hotel I was unsure of what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a glitzy hotel, but it fulfilled all of my BW requirements, friendly, affordable, clean, well maintained and easy access to most events..

I would reccomend this hotel to a family travelling on a budget..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Travellingonadime,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. It is comments such as yours that motivate us to continually improve upon our products and services. It was most gratifying to learn that our continual investment into training as well as the strong emphasis put on overall hotel and in-room cleanliness has not gone un-noticed. Good News! We are pleased to announce that we are now in the planning stages of our next hotel project; our focus is on a more modern look for the hotel’s facade. Our goal is to give our clients the best experience possible from; the curb, to the room, public areas, and until they check out.

Once again thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, we sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This hotel isn't exactly a complete let-down, but there's sufficient negatives to make it a no-go kind of placer.
The positives: Parking ain't expensive (you pay, but it could be dearer), wifi actually works in the rooms and it's free. Staff at the reception and restaurant are very friendly and helpful. That's where the positives end.
The hotel is well past its use-by date. They've old-fashioned TVs (our remote barely worked), for some bizarre reason a white-goods plastic fridge squeezed among the furniture (presumably worth one of the 4***? :-), the worst coffee I ever tasted in a hotel room, black hair in the bed (that wasn't mine!), goo on the pillow (house keeping does a lousy job in that place!). Our room was on the back of the hotel, a view like from a disaster movie, early am construction noise, couldn't open windows, the 100 year old aircon unit made terrible noise, the kingsize bed was sufficiently short that my feet kept hanging out of the bed because it was so incredibly short. My baseline, if this hotel would market itself as a 2.5 star kinda place and reduced its price by about 1/3, I'd probably have expected something like what I got. The thing is, they're billing themselves as a 4*** property, with a price tag to match (there were not even cups to hold toothbrushes etc, in the bathroom!) . That's offensively overpriced, to say the least. - I agree with the scepticism about some of the positive comments posted about this hotel (particularly those from folks who posted only that one commentary and were never before or after to be seen)...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 19 July 2011

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we appreciate the time and energy it takes to write comments after your stay. One of our greatest priorities is to offer clean and comfortable accommodations to our guests with speedy and friendly service. Without the help of our guests leaving comments and letting us know what improvements are needed we would never be able to achieve our goal. I have personally passed your concerns about the in room issues to our housekeeping team and will be following up. We value all comments from our travelers, I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. My team and I hope that we can have a second chance at a first impression, if your travels bring you back to the National Capital region.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Gatineau-Ottawa