“Enjoyable, But...”

Houston Avenue Bar & Grill - Gatineau
Reserve with OpenTable
Houston Avenue Bar & Grill - Gatineau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 667 Restaurants in Gatineau
Price range: US$16 - US$40
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Boul. du Casino
Description: Houston Avenue Bar And Grill is proud to welcome you into our world. We invite you to join us on a culinary adventure that is out of the ordinary. We offer a unique environment that has something for everyone...You will discover a refined kitchen serving the freshest ingredients available. Our team is looking forward to your visit.
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Good food, reasonable prices, nice décor, trendy.
It was quite noisy the night we were there, but it was Christmas time, so there were a number of groups there also.
The music was a bit loud, preventing conversation with anyone further away than your neighbour.
The serving staff seemed rushed and forgetful for simple requests like water.

1  Thank TerryinAylmer

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Orders where not as per our request, meat not cooked to the right temperature, took a long time to get our entrees, and a ridiculous time for our main course. Very expensive for the quality of food and sevice (over $200).

2  Thank Sunny155004
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Great location, plenty of parking, very nice interior.

Service is a little slow, especially on a slow night.

Girlfriend and I ordered fried calamari, there was barely anything in the plate. For 11$, not enough food to share for the both of us.

My entree was a Brie Steak. It was cooked right, rare. Barely enough potatoes or spinash for the price, 38$.

My girlfriend ordered a half-rack of ribs. The ribs were DRY and pretty tasteless. Her sides were coleslaw and fries, the coleslaw was over spiced and basically unedible. Fries were ok.

For the price, it was a serious dissapointment, we will not be going back to Houston. Can't compare with Baton Rouge in anyway.

3  Thank NatBlanchette
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Went with my wife for our anniversary treat. Definitely recommend you make reservations as there was a crowd waiting at 6:30. We were seated right away. It was crowded at a smallish table with semi comfortable chairs. Neighbours were a little close. Clean - flashy looking ambiance. Above average. Waiter was a young fella named JP, about 25, clean cut and spoke perfect English and French. He turned out to be very knowledgeable about the food there and how it was prepared and served. We were impressed with this young waiter and would ask for him again next time we go there. We had salads for entrees and both were very good. I asked for a garden type of salad as per the menu, but got mostly spinach leaves and carrot slices....ok. My wife had a Cesar salad, and apparently it was very fresh and tasty. Both of us had the filet mignon with the bone on, and we both loved it. Found it a bit pinky near the bone, like kind of raw, gotta expect that, but other wise ten out of ten - flavour -tenderness ,,yummy. Even the veggies were good, and I am not a veggie person. Ok, we splurged on fries, I always have salt, vinegar and ketchup. None were on the table, and the waiter was no where to be found at that moment, so I tried the fries as is. No dressing required. I have never had such good fries in my life. Even when the waiter came back I didn't ask for anything for the fries. Had a piece of chocolate cake for desert and again highly recommend it. Light and flavourful, not too sweet. Coffee superb. Gran Marnier - got orange brandy. I do know the difference - I have it all the time. Criticisms - nearly none - except for it taking over an hour to get the food served after ordering and don't serve me Orange brandy when I ask for GM. Otherwise excellent, and would recommend it to anyone. For the people that say that the music is too loud - get a life. You are in a family style restaurant - it is going to be loud. We were there for about three hours and could hear each other just fine. They need to install washrooms on the main floor. In our case, my wife is slightly handicapped and going up and down 20 stairs is a big deal. I am nearly 60 years old and as far as the other reviews about the waitresses attire goes - they are dressed, ever been to the Caribbean? Come on. This is the 21st century. Go back to this restaurant? - in a flash. It rates a big WOW - among the best we have ever had, if not the best and that is saying something.
Sue and Bruce

1  Thank BooOttawaONCanada
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Just tried this new restaurant on Monclair St, Gatineau. Wow a nice evening. Thought we where at Me Cancun, hihihi. Lounge decor, very nicely done. We had friends that took ribs,others cod and steak, all excellent. For myself, I had an entree of Tataki tuna followed by a superb Niçoise salad served with salmon intead of tuna, very well set! The restaurant as a in-house DJ, music is great. I would not recommendthis resto for those who are seeking a "candle light" Dinner. But for those who want to have great food and hear good lounge music while in Gatineau, this is the place!

1  Thank YvesD261