“Small, basic, clean motel”

Du Chevalier Motel & Suites
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Gatineau
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Got what they call an "economic room", one double bed, one single. TV, bar fridge, coffee maker with coffee and tea. Clean room and bathroom. The guests in the next room were quite loud, but since forgoing complaining it is not really the fault of the motel. Would stay again for a cheap basic option in Gatineau. 10 min. drive to get to Ottawa as well.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2011

Where do I start,
Staff is friendly, but rooms are very small even the superior rooms are small, which I payed more for. The ambiance felt like someone would break in to the room at anytime, I was in a far area of the hotel that was secluded my view was of a container with a old mattress in it.

I called the reception and asked for a better room but they supposedly had none...which I found strange since the parking was empty even in the morning,

I couldn't stay there another night!!! I grabbed the yellow pages and to my astonishment I found a wonderful place called Auberge de la Gare 10 min away, that was less expensive, and had larger room and better accommodations, I felt comfortable and had a good nights sleep there that is at AUBERGE DE LA GARE.

Room Tip: Please don't rely on the positive reviews for this hotel they just don't make sense! There i...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Robin L
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed a weekend at Motel du Chevalier (couple). We requested a room on the first floor and we got one on the spot. It probably helped that we showed up around 15h00 and the place was not full yet.

Room is large, good flat screen TV with many channels. There was a nice size fridge and the WIFI signal was strong and fast. We enjoyed the small and clean pool. There is a small garden table with chairs in front of each room. For those who would appreciate it, rooms on the 2nd floor have a much larger balcony. Our room was clean, the A/C worked very well (it was hot out there!).

This hotel is very well located, near some good breakfast restaurants, the Lac Leamy Casino and it is quick and easy to get to Ottawa which was the main purpose of the stay.

This is the second time we stayed there and will repeat as you get a great room for an affordable price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RPwings
Reviewed 19 October 2009

This small motel was an interesting find in Gatineau. I usually stay at a large hotel which messed-up my reservation and ended up at the Du Chevalier motel. The rooom (standard room) was very nice and offered all that the hotel rooms usually do (for a fraction of the price). The furniture was tidy and well maintained. The linen very clean. The mattress extremely comfortable. The service was attentive and, overall, the price was excellent. I have been to many hotels in the province, and this MOTEL certainly has the same standards. Go for it!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank RogerFedosky
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I was very disappointed inasmuch as I made reservations here based on the ratings at tripadvisor. It seems typical of hourly/daily/weekly/monthly motels I have seen during my travels. The room was very small, smelly, humid and someone had deposited a 'poop-filled' diaper in the trash outside my room. The small fridge was broken and filled with tepid water from the melted freezer. The A/C vents were broken in such a way that they directed what little cool air there was toward the door. The internet was wireless, but the server is unsecure and unlicensed: A possible concern if you are accessing personnel information. The hall outside the room was also connected to the balcony, where at least, four people were relaxing with cigarettes that stunk up the whole area. After driving 250 miles, it was a real late-night downer to end up here. I made for better digs the next morning.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank J K
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I'm a young man and by all means NOT a picky person. I have stayed at motels before, and have a fair comparison base.

I don't know if the whole motel is like that, but the "economy room" that we took was terrible. The room costed $70, which is slightly lower regular "economy rooms", but this motel's understanding of an "economy room" takes it to a new level. So as it comes out, the price for a decent room in this motel is higher than in most others.

The room was very small and was facing a busy road just couple of meters away, which would make sleeping impossible if you open the window. The room stank and although they said it was non-smoking, it smelled like it. As I walked in, it was apparent we just couldn't sleep in this room.

I kindly asked the man to place us in a more expensive room or give us a refund. He said all other rooms were taken, and after a long argument agreed to give me a partial refund, keeping $20 as a fine, which I'm sure is not stated in the motel's policy.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alexinho09
Reviewed 23 April 2009

my wife, 2years old daughter and I took the suite for a very reasonable price.
It matches a 5 stars hotel in furniture, cleanliness, and practicality. the suite was equipped with a full kitchen...we were to stay for a full week to explore the ottawa-hull area (10 minutes drive from the motel). We found everything at 2-3 minutes walk!!! (costco, banks, pharmacies, takeouts, shopping centers, grocery stores). For a 1 week family stay this was very practical.
The service is very good, the personnel very welcoming and helpful. We were served in English and french.
wireless high speed internet was available in the suite and everywhere in the motel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family