“Home away from home”

GreenLeadersBronze level
kingston
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed at the Red Tree from the beginning of June to the end of July 2013 in order for my husband to train for the Transrockies. Our experience with the Red Tree was exceptional. Their staff were professional, personable and went out of their way to ensure our stay was one that we would not forget. Kitchen facilities were excellent, well maintained and complete. The continental breakfast was delicious, with muffins, a large selection of fruit and yogurt and coffee/tea. We felt very much at home. I would personally like to thank them again for their invaluable assistance in caring for me and getting me to the hospital during a medical emergency. Special thanks to Casey, Simon, Jon, Christine, (I know I missed a lot of you! sorry!)...we hope to see you again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have balconies that allow a wonderful view of the mountains.
2 Thank retiredgalKingston
RedTree_Staff, General Manager at Red Tree Lodge, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Hi Gal!

It was a pleasure to have you and your husband staying with us this summer. It was a lot of fun for everyone to trade bike stories with you, and I know Simon and others had a good time riding with you guys. I'm glad to have been able to help you out and I've made sure that everyone received your thanks.

Until we meet again!

Jon
Red Tree Lodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here on our way biking through Canada for one night. It had everything we needed. A big kitchen to cook food in, a room where we could wash and dry clothes for free and comfortable rooms.On the bottom floor It also had a sauna room, movie room with big comfortable chairs, a big screen TV where you could watch a variety of movies that they had available all for free. There were also TVs in the rooms if you didn't want to go downstairs. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kim22726
Hi Kim,

Thanks for your great review! We try to offer everything our guests would need to make this a home away from home. It sounds like you think we're succeeding!

I hope we'll see you again,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed only for 1 night in July 2013. We found the Red Tree Lodge to be staffed by friendly people and filled with useful amenities. They don't serve much of a breakfast but there is a full service kitchen available to guests which is fantastic. There is easy parking and despite being on the main road we didn't hear much traffic noise. I would say the only negative in our stay were they beds were quite old and one was uncomfortable. Overall it was a short but comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank FionaA78
Hello Fiona

Thanks for your feedback! Its always a pleasure to hear that a guest has enjoyed her stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find one of the beds very comfortable, but rest assured - we've recently upgraded all our Superior Rooms to include new pillow-top mattresses and will be upgrading more mattresses this fall. On your next visit, if you take advantage of our Repeat Guest discount, you may decide to try the Superior Room and I'm confident you'll like the beds!

See you next time,

Ucluelet, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I really loved this Hotel/lodge. The staff were genuinely helpful, kind and friendly. They were accommodating and made us feel welcome. The rooms are lovely, Bathrooms were clean and the tub was wonderful, though they also have a hot tub downstairs. The rooms are up to date, and very clean with hooks on the wall, that are useful even in Summer. The beds are really comfortable and after a long drive I was more than pleased to spend a night here. I would totally recommend this lodge. We were traveling with our family and everyone was happy. There is a bistro down the road a ways and it was excellent.Great night;s sleep. I love Fernie this just made it better.

2 Thank Robinfaith
Hi Robin!

Thanks for your great review! I appreciate your kind words and I know my staff love hearing that our guests have enjoyed their stay. We'll look forward to seeing you again next time you're in town!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed one night on our way to Calgary. The room and the lobby was nicely remodeled, the room was clean, but the hallway and the back door was a little rundown. When we arrived to unload our luggage, the back door was not locked, and there were people sitting around looking at us (presumably hotel guests). I didn't feel very comfortable there.

The hotel staff was very friendly. Included continental breakfast was nice. But I expected more when it costed U$140 a night!!

Hello Bmlto,

Thanks for staying with us! I'm glad you liked our lobby and your room, and I'll be sure to pass on to housekeeping that found the room so clean.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel we offered good value. While we don't have the least expensive rooms in town, I feel that we offer good value in other ways besides simply our rates. We have an extensive array of complementary amenities available for all our guests; from our guest kitchen, to our free laundry, and our movie theatre, games room, bicycles, frisbee golf discs, and more, we've tried to offer guests amenities that they may not expect but will still find very useful. Of course do also offer more standard amenities like our pool, hot tub, free wifi, parking, and more.

My staff were also happy to hear that you found everyone friendly and liked our included breakfast as well. If you decide to stay with us again in the future, remember to ask for our Repeat Guest discount to get an additional 10% off your reservation.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Red Tree Lodge is a great little motel. The front desk reception staff were very friendly and helpful. They even called the room shortly after check-in to ask if everything was OK. The room was clean and tidy. There are a number of restaurants within a short walk and it's just a 10 or 15 minute stroll from the historic town centre. Breakfast wasn't very substantial but it was what they said it would be: a "breakfast snack". It was an OK start to the day. The only issue for us was that the bed wasn't very comfortable - quite soft - and we both awoke with sore backs. Also, the pillows were pretty thin. Other than that, we like this hotel a lot and would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rob G
RedTree_Staff, General Manager at Red Tree Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hi Rob

Thanks for your review! I appreciate the feedback and I know the staff all appreciated your kind words and how much you enjoyed your stay. Sorry to hear that you didn't like our beds - we do have a variety of different beds available, from new pillow top mattresses in our Superior Rooms to some rooms with King or Bunk beds, and regular queen and double beds in our Standard and Economy Rooms. We also have several different types of pillows - each closet is supplied with two pillows, different from the ones on the beds (our guests have told us that some prefer thick and fluffy, others prefer a thinner option), and we have more available as well. If you ask the front desk (or anyone else you see, for that matter!) for some options, we'd all be happy to help out.

We'll look forward to your next visit,

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My girlfriend and I like to mountain bike. Were stayed at the Red Tree Lodge for a week in Aug 2012 and are planning another trip this year. We considered going to other locations in BC but decided on Fernie over the others because of the experiance at the Red Tree Lodge. The staff were all friendly, we got a great rate. Most of all we were able to keep out bikes in our rooms. The staff were very helpful in pointing us to the trails and there is a bike wash outside. The washing machine was a bonus and the prices to use them were more than reasonable. The laid back professional easy going friendly accomidations and a great rate give us no reason to look anywhere else and I am counting down the days till my return. Only this time I will bring my fly rod as well.

Danny O'Connor

Room Tip: There is no restaurant or fitness centre but access to a full kitchen.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Danny O
RedTree_Staff, General Manager at Red Tree Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Hi Danny,

Thanks for your great feedback! I'm glad you're going to be coming back - I think you'll find we've made some nice changes since you were here last August. Many of the staff you remember are still here, however, so you'll get a chance to say hello again.

We still allow bikes in the rooms, and have the bike wash station and other amenities you liked. Our guest laundry is even free (if you bring your own soap). If you plan on fishing this summer, make sure to ask Casey for his favourite spots - I'm sure he'll be happy to bend your ear!

See you soon,