“Hoping for a bit better...”
Review of El Guapo Mexican Diner - CLOSED

El Guapo Mexican Diner
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Calgary, Canada
“Hoping for a bit better...”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

While passing through Fernie, I read the reviews on this place from another site which suggested the 80% liked the place. I does have its charm, but charm can only carry you so far. The waitress was far from attentive (at one point texting while we were waiting for our bill). It was like she was bothered by us and the other few customers.
The food was a bit better. We sat beside the kitchen counter - good table actually - and could watch the chef prepare the meals. I had the fish tacos - seriously - tasted like chicken. My 12 yr old son ordered the quesadilla and they LOADED it with jalapeños. I like spicy food, but even one bite was too hot. My son doesn't like it as spicy, so we removed the peppers and asked for sour creme - which we were charged for. We still couldn't eat the meal.
Over, just below average. There are much better restaurants in Fernie at better value.

1 Thank YYC-dad

Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“El Guapo, El Crappo”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Probably the WORST Mexican? Restaurant i have ever been to. The waitress was rude and when i inquired about why there was no cheese in our burritos she argued and explained that i was wrong and there indeed was. Fernie is notorious for overpriced average food and lousy service. This place continued this fine tradition.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank RoDdY71
Canmore, Canada
“Weird decor and bland food”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Situated in a half converted skateboard park / restaurant this is an odd place.

We had heard good things but were all disappointed by the bland food. I had the 2 burrito special (and you only get two burritos, no sides etc, just the burritos) and I found both to be extremely bland. There is a huge selection of hot sauces which I used to add some experience to the meal.

The staff was very friendly and the place was busy so maybe I just got a bad one.

• Visited August 2012
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Burrito Tuesdays!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Its a Fernie tradition. SUPER casual in its decor and service but you'll get tasty belly bursting 2 for 1 burrito's on Tuesday nights. If your looking for Taco Bell, keep driving. This is another Fernie local's hangout where you come to meet locals over a Corona and chill out while they prepare your meal.

Visited August 2012
Victoria, Canada
“Great alternative in Fernie”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I was pleased to find a restaurant in a small community -off the beaten path- that is quite busy. It told me that the quality of the product is endorsed by the locals. I have eaten here a few times and have been pleased with the food. Great value, especially if you pick the special for the evening. The server recommended my colleague and I split the 2 burritos for $14 and it was more than enough food. No surprises just good eats.

Visited May 2012