“One bad experience leads to a bad review.”

Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Fernie
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I will start out with the fact the hotel is clean and modern. Unfortunately the staff's non caring attitude when something goes wrong is shows some poor customer service. So what went wrong?
This was a two night stay with one day being a trip to the Fernie Ski Hill. As I was packing for the day on the hill I decided to just take one bag which required me leaving my camera bag behind in the room and too consolidated the camera into my day pack. The camera was an SLR so in the camera bag I left the other lense, which happened to be a fish lenses. After returning from my day of skiing and enjoying the hot tub and dinner I returned to my room to unpack my day bag. This is when I noticed my camera bag was no where to be found. I called the front desk and mentioned to them that my camera bag had disappeared from my room and was advised that housekeeping would call me in the morning as there was nothing they could do at night.
10 am and still no phone call so I went to the front desk and had to explain the situation again. The clerk checked lost and found and then went to check with housekeeping. while he was gone I asked the second clerk if I could get a late check out and she asked what time, so I mentioned I was thinking as late as possible like 3 pm. The best the could do was 1130 but could push it to 12:00. Wow thanks for going all out. The other clerk returns and said nothing was found and that he would push this up to his manager. I checked again on the late check out but there was no change in the timing, even after they mentioned they were not a lot of check ins expected that day. I understand hotels will accommodate late check ins when possible but I feel this situation deserved a little more flexabilty from the staff. The clerk mentioned the manager would get back to me. So my friend and I left the hotel for breakfast. Upon our return I returned to the front desk and the manager was there. We chatted about the bag and she was quick to defend her staff, saying she trusted them and its not possible they would have removed the bag. My response was simple, and stated that the fact is the bag is missing and someone with access to the room could have taken it. She was going to go talk to some people and would get back to me. Before she left I mentioned that her front staff could not accompany a later then 12 noon check out. I guess she was content with that as I got no response.
The room phone rang and it was the manager. She called to say that they spoke to the cleaning staff and there was no camera bag on the bed and asked if I could have taken it out of the room.Again I explained briefly what I did the .previous day. And she promptly defended her staff, again. I then asked her for the local police number. I tried calling few times but it was busy. We cleared the room and went to the lobby to check out and the manager saw me in the lobby and asked me if I was the guy who was missing the bag. After I confirmed that I was she asked me if got a hold of the police. My response was no, I got busy signals.She said she would try. I decided to go back to the room before handing in my room card keys to have another look. Found nothing and the phone rang. It was the manager saying she had gotten a hold of the police and asked me my name. Oh, she said, I gave them your roomates name, but they will see me first when they get here.
So what did I take away from all of this? I was an Inconvenience to the manager and the staff, there was no emotion of sympathony, no offers of accommodation to lessen the emotion of the theft I had just experienced. A high value item that was taken from my room on their watch. They should be willing to bare some of the resposiblity.
At this point, I will not be staying at this Best Western and will probably not use Best Western as my first choice for my other travel destinations.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daryl D
Wojtek H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

We have had follow up communication with this guest through their group leader and received confirmation that the guest discovered their camera bag at home upon their return. It was indeed, never at the hotel as originally thought in the review. We’re glad that we were able to resolve this concern and are proud of our housekeeping staff for being on top of this concern.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Pretty much agree with all the positive reviews. Hotel was easy to find, near shopping and a Tim Hortons. There is a Boston Pizza attached. nothing special there. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room was comfortable although the room amenities were a bit sparse. Bring your own shower cap, mouth wash etc. I did find the lighting in the room quite poor. The breakfast was not self serve which was kind of a pain. Also the breakfast room is quite small so it fills very fast. But it's still the best hotel in town by far.

Stayed: March 2014
Wojtek H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

I’m thrilled you had such a great experience with us! Our most valued amenity is our customer service. It’s our goal to make your stay memorable to keep you coming back. Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed in the hotel for a training session Feb 24-27. Had a double queen room. Very comfortable - large and spacious. Exercise room is small but accessible. Hot tub and pool are clean. On site massage therapy available and I wish I had time to have booked appointment. Staff were friendly and professional. BP restaurant will provide room service. Accommodating to skiers and snowboarders.

Room Tip: Corporate rates available.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Wojtek H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Next time you need to book an appointment for a massage. You won’t regret it. It sounds like you had a great overall experience. Thank you for sharing and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel met all of our expectations. Well kept and like new. Excellent hot breakfast buffet. Although the staff had trouble keeping up with the number of people. The juice ran out more than once. We stayed 3 nights and would have stayed more if they would have had room for us the 4th night. We had a double queen room and found it spacious. A small table might have been a nice touch. Excellent WiFi coverage. Enjoyed the Bath & Body Works toiletries. The staff were friendly and even provided free Tide & Bounce for our laundry. Outside hot tub was nice if you like it really hot! However, only 3 of the jets were working. Would definitely stay again only we'll book further in advance to ensure we can get accommodation for our entire stay. Price is average for the area and the peak time. Use the internet sites to get the best rates.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Wojtek H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your comments! It’s nice to hear it when people notice the little details. We believe that it’s the little things that add up to a special stay. I’m sorry you had to cut your trip short. We look forward to taking care of you for your entire vacation next time around.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel was quite easy to find. The staff was pleasant and helpful which amount to no worries for us. The breakfast service and staff were excellent as it is quite a busy time. The attached Boston Pizza had great food and service. The hotel staff also gave us a couple good local restaurants to check out. All amenities were up to par and worked great. The kids loved the pool and the outside hot tub was a nice touch. We all had a great time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Glad we could provide you with a memorable and worry free stay! Keeping you comfortable is our highest priority. Thank you for letting us take care of you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

A nice hotel with nice rooms. Gladly helped join rewards program. Small area for breakfast; gets very crowded and not room for everyone to sit and to have enough space to get around tables to get the food. Food buffet was nice and hot.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for joining our Rewards program! You won’t regret it. We’re glad you had a great experience and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here several times now, it is a nice enough place although pricey. Check-in experience this time around left a lot to be desired though, definitely no service with a smile. No acknowledgement of being a Best Western Rewards customer, probably due to attempting to serve two clients at once and juggle the phone. Our son decided to tag along on our trip at the last minute and for the first time ever I got charged extra due to the extra person. Anyhow, the customer service or lack thereof has soured this stay, I may look elsewhere for our next visit.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for being a regular guest. I am sorry however that your check-in experience was not up to par with the level of friendly service we pride ourselves in. I will be sure to bring this to the attention of my staff during our next training meeting. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to wow you with our service.
Respectfully,